The Music of Japan.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gave this a listen today and it has plenty going on in the surround channels (QS-encoded CD).

MC04MzM4LnBuZw.jpeg

Figuring out what that "plenty" is is gonna take several more listens...

R-13952086-1607755051-5325.jpg

Having a lot of fun with matrix quad on CD. This one was originally released only as a QS-encoded cassette, of all things, in 1976.

First impression of the content is they'd been listening to a lot of contemporary Steely Dan and Herbie Hancock, and the third song shamelessly lifts the intro from The Who's "Love, Reign o'er Me". Only 5 songs and they start running out of ideas pretty quickly, but seem to be having fun throughout. The bass player especially. Japanese jazz bands have always struck me for how much space the bass players are free to occupy.

The quad mix is energetic and aggressive. "Early Santana quad" kind of vibe in the layout and balance.

Re-released on CD in 1989. The fidelity on the CD's very nice and speaks of good recording and mastering. There's some overuse of rapidly panning keyboards side-to-side in the rears that gets tiring (played it direct in stereo to make sure it wasn't a decoder issue, it isn't).

i guess these are all known about here already and/or common and i'm not even sure how 'Japanese' half of it is musically but they're some of the Japanese 5.1 discs i picked up over the years i'm just giving their annual Spring dust off 🤧 i might even play some of them this year 😂

IMG_5636.jpeg

IMG_5637.jpeg

from top L to bottom R;

Jacintha "Lush Life" & "Jacintha Is Her Name", Chie Ayado "Time" & "Shine", Susan Wong "Woman In Love", "911" & "My Live Stories", Ayumi Hamasaki "My Story", Akiko "Mood Swings", Takuya "The Wide Wild World", Seigen Ono "Forest And Beach", Kodo "Mondo Head", M. Sasaji & L.A. Allstars "Afro Blue" & "Birdland", Casiopea "Live & More", Akiko "Mood Indigo", "Big Band Sound", "Big Band Stage", "Big Band Special", Cornelius "Five Point One", Trouvere Quartet "Shall We Sax?"

i guess these are all known about here already and/or common and i'm not even sure how 'Japanese' half of it is musically but they're some of the Japanese 5.1 discs i picked up over the years i'm just giving their annual Spring dust off 🤧 i might even play some of them this year 😂

View attachment 103740

View attachment 103741

from top L to bottom R;

Jacintha "Lush Life" & "Jacintha Is Her Name", Chie Ayado "Time" & "Shine", Susan Wong "Woman In Love", "911" & "My Live Stories", Ayumi Hamasaki "My Story", Akiko "Mood Swings", Takuya "The Wide Wild World", Seigen Ono "Forest And Beach", Kodo "Mondo Head", M. Sasaji & L.A. Allstars "Afro Blue" & "Birdland", Casiopea "Live & More", Akiko "Mood Indigo", "Big Band Sound", "Big Band Stage", "Big Band Special", Cornelius "Five Point One", Trouvere Quartet "Shall We Sax?"

Wow! The most recent posts here have been amazing. There's so much good stuff to follow up on. And the amount of physical media in surround that people have, just makes me very jealous. In the best possible way!

Ayumi Hamasaki "My Story" is very good. One of the only two I have myself to mention. But the I've liked everything I've heard of hers. Surround is the frosting on the cake.

Cornelius 5.1 is true surround sound demo material. And the music is imaginative & listening to it many times, the music still grabs me. As you dig into this pile I might suggest starting with this one.

View attachment 103740

View attachment 103741

from top L to bottom R;

Quite a stash, Mr. Buckley. BTW, Jacintha Abisheganaden is from Singapore ...close enough...and her latest album FIRE AND RAIN [a tribute to James TAYLOR] on Groove Note stereo SACD is worth picking up!

Fire & Rain by Jacintha on TIDAL

Quite a stash, Mr. Buckley. BTW, Jacintha Abisheganaden is from Singapore ...close enough...and her latest album FIRE AND RAIN [a tribute to James TAYLOR] on Groove Note stereo SACD is worth picking up!

Fire & Rain by Jacintha on TIDAL

ahh... that's some spicey Singapore Noodles, Chef Ralphiepie! 😋🤩 there's more Surround of the Asian persuasion in the stash, i just need to sortmyfuckinlifeout! 😅😂

while dusting down the discs i just found this version of Ayumi Hamasaki's "My Story" on DVD-A.. umm.. DVD-V.. err.. DVD-A/V... ahhh.. DVD-Eh? 🤯😆

IMG_5638.jpeg

IMG_5639.jpeg

ahh... that's some spicey Singapore Noodles, Chef Ralphiepie! 😋🤩 there's more Surround of the Asian persuasion in the stash, i just need to sortmyfuckinlifeout! 😅😂

while dusting down the discs i just found this version of Ayumi Hamasaki's "My Story" on DVD-A.. umm.. DVD-V.. err.. DVD-A/V... ahhh.. DVD-Eh? 🤯😆

View attachment 103744

View attachment 103745
JEEZ ADAM, WHAT DON'T YOU HAVE ....AH, YES, A MAGIC OPAQUE NOTCHED BLACK MARKER PEN ...TO EDGE YOUR DISCS....LOL!

And as you should know by now, dear Adam ...4ears likes to live life on the edge!

Last edited:
Back