How are you ripping your ATMOS Blu Rays?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you please run one of your problem files through an application called MediaInfo, which must be set to text mode and post what it reports 'in full' as a text file.

Cheers
Here you go:

eneral
Unique ID : 250643974956028035869661051781185999010 (0xBC90460F8D54FF9D0F2AF769D60F10A2)
Complete name : C:\Users\princ\Desktop\Deep Purple Machine Head 50th\2024 Atmos Mix\01. Highway Star (2024 remix).mka
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 277 MiB
Duration : 6 min 12 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 6 232 kb/s
Track name : Highway Star (2024 remix)
Track name/Position : 1
Recorded date : 1972
Encoded date : 2024-04-04 11:25:38 UTC
Writing application : mkvmerge v83.0 ('Circle Of Friends') 64-bit
Writing library : libebml v1.4.5 + libmatroska v1.7.1
Cover : Yes
Attachments : cover.jpg
ARTIST : Deep Purple
GENRE : Rock

Audio
ID : 1
ID in the original source medium : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 6 min 12 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 6 162 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 7 479 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 273 MiB (99%)
Title : Surround 7.1
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Original source medium : Blu-ray
Number of dynamic objects : 11
Bed channel count : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration : LFE

Thanks!

Try adding the separate 'lossy' Dolby Digital audio file into the .mka mux. This will allow you to flick between the lossy and lossless audio streams which often encourages the OPPO and your AVR to latch onto the lossless Dolby TrueHD Atmos stream...
Thanks for your help - will let you know how I get on.

Posted in the Apple TV thread by mistake. Maybe this thread more suitable:
I have a bit of a problem with playing Atmos rips gapless.
I play from USB stick/ KODI on Nvidia Shield Pro.
If I split it on chapters, it's not gapless.
If I play one big M4A file, it plays gapless, but the CUE file doesn't do anything. I don' see any tracks.
The cue file i created with MMH. It has the same name as the music file, except the extension.
The file reference inside the cue file is correct.
I've tried MKA file with no success.
What i am missing? Does anyone have the same setup?
thanks.

What i am missing? Does anyone have the same setup?

To get Kodi to see the cue its mka file must have no chapters when it scanned into your music library. Currently Kodi only reads the mka with chapters as an audiobook. Without chapters it’s seen as music and the cue is processed. That was going to be fixed in Kodi 21 but delayed until next release.

Mka is a standard audio format in Kodi. Users need to add MKV via AdvancedSettings.xml if they want MKV to be used in their Kodi audio library, otherwise MKV is always seen as ’video’.

Thank you for all the replies. So I take it there is no current, all-in-one workaround for gapless playback, like using a single program such as DVD Audio Extractor for older blu rays?
To be perfectly honest, 90% of the Atmos Blu-Rays I have heard have some glaring authoring issues. I.e., you can split the songs into individual tracks but good luck getting the songs to start and end at the beginning and ending of the actual song without bleeding into and out of the previous or next track. It's unfortunate but for this reason I just keep my Atmos tracks as an MKV and play them as a video. I can still skip tracks if I want to, but it makes listening to them as an entire album easier (although I too am annoyed about the inability to integrate them into my main music library).

@Fantomas,
Please show us your .cue file?

And an you please run your problem file through an application called MediaInfo, which must be set to text mode and post what it reports 'in full' as a text file.
@Fantomas,

And an you please run your problem file through an application called MediaInfo, which must be set to text mode and post what it reports 'in full' as a text file.
Please see attached. I changed the extention to .txt to be able to attach it. I will run it through MediaInfo.
thanks

Attachments

• The Beatles - Abbey Road.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 0
but good luck getting the songs to start and end at the beginning and ending of the actual song without bleeding into and out of the previous or next track

There are a few BDs where chapters are not aligned but in my experience it’s not 90% of releases.

Playing a a single chaptered MKV does not solve this when ‘skipping’ to a chapter either since the chapter times are authored incorrectly. The only fix is to edit the chapter start times in the MKV file.

MMH’s Chapter Editor will allow that, plus you can edit the chapter names to song titles (manual edit or lookup the album online with the MMH MusicBrainz lookup).

Or you can fix by using a CUE file and edit the cue file start times.

To get Kodi to see the cue its mka file must have no chapters when it scanned into your music library. Currently Kodi only reads the mka with chapters as an audiobook. Without chapters it’s seen as music and the cue is processed. That was going to be fixed in Kodi 21 but delayed until next release.
I created the mka file using MKCToolNix. It's a one big file. No chapters

Edit your cue file. It’s mka not m4a
I tried to play it with a single m4a file. that is why it's m4a inside.
I tried before the 'original' mka, and at that time i had mka reference insed the .cue
I am if not sure in my situation I should play mka or m4a?

I would recommend mka for Kodi. The cue should use the mka file name and the mka should have no chapters. You should scan the folder into Kodi’s music library and the album and its song titles will appear in Kodi’s music library. You can then play any song in the album.

@Fantomas,

That's what i got. (not sure i am doing it right, i switched the View option to text.)
thanks.

General
Unique ID : 161111893128459320093629978681356311588 (0x7935059DAED8E92137CAB1EAE0A3DC24)
Complete name : C:\Blu-Ray Rip\The Beatles - Abbey Road\The Beatles - Abbey Road.mka
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 4.49 GiB
Duration : 47 min 28 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 13.5 Mb/s
Track name : The Beatles - Abbey Road
Encoded date : 2024-04-06 17:15:33 UTC
Writing application : mkvmerge v83.0 ('Circle Of Friends') 64-bit
Writing library : libebml v1.4.5 + libmatroska v1.7.1
Cover : Yes
Attachments : cover.jpg

Audio
ID : 1
ID in the original source medium : 4354 (0x1102)
Format : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 47 min 28 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 13.5 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 16.3 Mb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 4.47 GiB (99%)
Title : Surround 7.1
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Original source medium : Blu-ray
Number of dynamic objects : 15
Bed channel count : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration : LFE

Attachments

• Media file for Abbey.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 0
There are a few BDs where chapters are not aligned but in my experience it’s not 90% of releases.

Playing a a single chaptered MKV does not solve this when ‘skipping’ to a chapter either since the chapter times are authored incorrectly. The only fix is to edit the chapter start times in the MKV file.

MMH’s Chapter Editor will allow that, plus you can edit the chapter names to song titles (manual edit or lookup the album online with the MMH MusicBrainz lookup).

Or you can fix by using a CUE file and edit the cue file start times.
I did not know you could do this with MMH. I was looking for this option a while back but could not find it. I will have to look back into it, thanks.

Back