Atmos Experiences, Frustrations and a Plea for Help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap if you run those slow, noisy a-s, ancient spinner drives.
All server music is on SSD here, my PC is dead quiet. :p
You should buy as much storage on SDD's as I have on HDD's, and see what it costs you. I never hear the drives BTW, and I have two pc's sitting close. If you buy good drives...I don't know if I should be jealous that you hear so good, or pissed that I don't . lol.
My ears have been ringing nonstop for over 50 years now. You can guess why. :unsure:
Uncle says so what.

I've been through all those doubts/decisions about the design of the process., over the years. This is my ultimate solution, already implemented:

Drive space is cheap -->
Buy Big HDD disks (multiple 18 TB now)

HDD drives are noisy -->
Build Silent PC (server) and locate it in the office workplace room. (Not in the listening room).
Cabling between rooms.

SIMPLIFY -->
Rip BD/DVD always to Full ISO image. CD to image FLAC/CUE

Play as with the original optical disks -->
Use network media players in the listening room/Home Theater: Oppo jailbreaked, DUNE

So much music, so little time. -->
For the first part, build the Inventory using just Excel.
For the second part, "my ultimate solution" has improved after retirement.

That is true, Kodi needs to know on a directory level if the contents should be treated as music, movies or TV shows, because the Kodi library is organized that way.

That depends on the hardware and OS Kodi is running on. E.g. on my RPi 4 it works without problems.
Finally nailed it down.
Kodi actually has a bug where it can't passthrough DTS HD MA if it's in an m2ts container.
It's been logged with Kodi since last year but a fix hasn't been forthcoming yet
Conversion to mkv with mkvtoolnix quickly solves the problem though.
Damn that rascal was bothering me!

Oh Man. I'd be typing forever. It will still be no different than looking at folders, which I have organized as DVDA/SACD/Atmos/etc. I have them all pinned.
I have about 36TB of surround but that includes stereo SACD's.
I did start ripping early though...I'd hate to have to do it all from scratch! As for trying to remember everything...well C.R.S. prevails. But not always a bad thing. I had forgot I had a Steve Stevens disc from 2001 I recently rediscovered. lol.

Oh Man. I'd be typing forever.
Amen to that!
Still wish I had a media player that used cascading menus and would pass Atmos.
Makes it so much easier to find things.
I hate Kodi and VLC for their UI / Menus
I've got close to 5,000 albums on file, all 16/44.1 or better.
That's what I like about Auro3D, it can be embedded in a standard flac and played in most any media player, then decoded in the AVR without issue or jumping thru hoop. I was very happy to see the latest "A Bad Think" IAA download also available in Auro3D, the first new Auro I've seen in a long time.
Screenshot at 2024-05-06 11-57-43.png

I can look through folders and find stuff pretty quick. As long as I know what I'm looking for. lol. I can generally remember what kind of disc it is so that narrows it down. I do come across some discs I bought long ago by obscure artists and I'm dumbfounded for a minute. Especially Japanese Jazz SACD's.

I have a question, my Synology Disk Station has a "Drive Health Status Has Degraded"
Everything working perfect, and shows WARNING on #4.
Is there something I can do or should do?
Screenshot (126).png

I have a question, my Synology Disk Station has a "Drive Health Status Has Degraded"
View attachment 105207
I can't help with the Synology stuff, or what utilities it has. If all else fails pull the errant disc and check with a Windows utility. e.g. if it's a SeaGate disc use SeaTools. WD probably has their own, no clue on the other two HDD manufacturers.
Luck. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of Synology can help.

View attachment 105207

Order a replacement drive. If the exact drive is unavailable then as close as possible spec wise with the same or more space. You might be able to let it go for a while or it could fail completely at any point. No hard fast rule when mechanical drives start to fail, other than they are going to fail completely at some point. Probably soon.

I can't help with the Synology stuff, or what utilities it has. If all else fails pull the errant disc and check with a Windows utility. e.g. if it's a SeaGate disc use SeaTools. WD probably has their own, no clue on the other two HDD manufacturers.
Luck. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of Synology can help.
There should be a utility accessed from the main screen to test the drive, I believe. Could be running too hot, could be about anything Marpow.

I've got nothing really good for you but I see in the RH photo where it says "Drive health status has degrade..." , If you click on that will it give you any futher info. looks to be an uncompleted dialog line? Is the drive old, could be something as simple as a "low remaining life" warning depending on how short a time is left. (usually reported in a % number)
As mandrix mentioned there has to be a more complete report available somehow but I don't know anything about this software, or another other SMART drive utility for Mac.
Sorry

Order a replacement drive. If the exact drive is unavailable then as close as possible spec wise with the same or more space. You might be able to let it go for a while or it could fail completely at any point. No hard fast rule when mechanical drives start to fail, other than they are going to fail completely at some point. Probably soon.
Thank you, good call, I ORDERED NEW DRIVE and better to be safe than sorry.
I remember I replaced all 4 drives a couple years ago and I installed one a day, so this will be easy to just replace one.
Expensive little buggers.

I've been through all those doubts/decisions about the design of the process., over the years. This is my ultimate solution, already implemented:

Drive space is cheap -->
Buy Big HDD disks (multiple 18 TB now)

HDD drives are noisy -->
Build Silent PC (server) and locate it in the office workplace room. (Not in the listening room).
Cabling between rooms.

SIMPLIFY -->
Rip BD/DVD always to Full ISO image. CD to image FLAC/CUE

Play as with the original optical disks -->
Use network media players in the listening room/Home Theater: Oppo jailbreaked, DUNE

I have a few hundred files I (legally) downloaded that don’t really have enough metadata for me to tell exactly what they are. It’s a multi-year project of comparing those files to music on YT or some other streamer in order to get them identified and in the right folders on my NAS drive.

I don’t know if I have enough time to get it all done. I hope so.

I have a few hundred files I (legally) downloaded that don’t really have enough metadata for me to tell exactly what they are. It’s a multi-year project of comparing those files to music on YT or some other streamer in order to get them identified and in the right folders on my NAS drive.

I don’t know if I have enough time to get it all done. I hope so.
Oh, the things we have to worry about nowadays ;)

Back