ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny you mention that....there are all kinds of theories about how you really can't measure the DR from vinyl using that method...BUT....even if the numbers aren't exactly correct...they are meaningful because as long as you use the same method for all sources...the difference between them is still evident...but hearing is the biggest vindication....if is sounds better...it is better....and that is the most important part isn't it...the metrics aren't important if it doesn't sound good...
I mean, as long as I'm always using Foobar to convert and Foobar to check DR....I would like to think that the DR being portrayed is apples to apples. Maybe it isn't, I'm no engineer in this field.....

But, yes. Listening does matter. Also, while ripping vinyl, you can watch the waveforms. I know someone said, those waveforms are not really that accurate, but after you do this a while, you can quickly see the peaks and valleys of certain recordings and instantly know that it's going to be good. When it looks like a solid block with no peaks and valleys...well....get ready for smashed audio. Happens every time.

I just ripped the CD from Mirage Deluxe, Live At The Forum. The performance is awesome....the DR, along with the sound is garbage. Why can they not take a little more time to improve the sonics of this stuff. I mean, why even bother? I'm keeping it though, might be fun for background music.

Ok here goes.....been listening to Frank Zappa “In New York” 40th Anniversary 5 CD Tin Box Set.....and what can I say?!

Well even though I’m not a HARD-CORE Zappa fan.....this set sounds ASTOUNDING/OUTSTANDING/AMAZING and ABSOLUTELY FUNNY.....Very entertaining.

Comes highly recommended!!:QQlove

Also waiting for my Yardbirds “Live & Rare” Box set to arrive from Import CD’s....mostly getting it for the DVD that contains 21 remastered videos....but til it gets here I’m streaming the 1st 4 CD’s from TIDAL and am very happy with the way it sounds considering the sources used to compile this set!! Can’t wait to watch the DVD....will have it early this week. Will report back once I’ve had a chance to check it out:SB

Ripped my Kscope vinyl of Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday of Life (1992)

Sounds great!

b9f29d6ca7e2b1a492b8a94ec1595450.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ripped my Kscope vinyl of Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday of Life (1992)

Sounds great!

b9f29d6ca7e2b1a492b8a94ec1595450.jpg

And, not surprising....even on Porcupine Tree debut album....the DR as following:

foobar2000 1.4.2 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2019-04-01 18:02:29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Porcupine Tree / On The Sunday Of Life...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR13 -10.42 dB -28.27 dB 2:39 01-Music For The Head
DR11 -3.53 dB -16.39 dB 6:07 02-Jupiter Island
DR13 -5.11 dB -21.48 dB 2:48 03-Third Eye Surfer
DR12 -9.54 dB -25.05 dB 2:10 04-On The Sunday Of Life...
DR13 -4.25 dB -20.77 dB 7:13 05-The Nostalgia Factory
DR13 -10.40 dB -28.53 dB 2:58 06-Space Transmission
DR10 -5.37 dB -22.05 dB 0:27 07-Message From A Self Destructing Turnip
DR13 -1.42 dB -18.79 dB 9:56 08-Radioactive Toy
DR12 -4.21 dB -19.24 dB 3:52 09-Nine Cats
DR11 -13.38 dB -29.71 dB 1:23 10-Hymn
DR13 -1.90 dB -20.18 dB 5:47 11-Footprints
DR12 -2.74 dB -17.14 dB 3:04 12-Linton Samuel Dawson
DR12 -3.70 dB -18.47 dB 4:01 13-And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun
DR13 -3.16 dB -20.71 dB 3:52 14-Queen Quotes Crowley
DR10 -11.10 dB -25.57 dB 0:58 15-No Luck With Rabbits
DR14 -8.34 dB -25.76 dB 2:17 16-Begonia Seduction Scene
DR12 -2.75 dB -17.73 dB 4:57 17-This Long Silence
DR14 -3.30 dB -21.42 dB 10:45 18-It Will Rain For A Million Years

Number of tracks: 18
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 1231 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

It's interesting to hear the different opinions about what titles are worth on the secondary markets(Ebay...discogs)….I purchase a lot of titles on Ebay and discogs and amazon that are out of print...the value in these markets is very subjective...they usually contain 3 elements...the usual supply(are there very many for sale) and demand(do a lot of people seek this title)and condition(is it new or used)….just because something is scarce and it's brand new doesn't always justify the price asked...because with no demand...it won't sell....but when you do find something you like and it's new..and it's reasonably priced...that's the perfect combo...but this seldom happens with out of print titles...if the title is used...you have to determine how accurate the description is...so you look at the track record of the seller....without a clear track record...you are gambling on the seller's description of the title...words like near mint...like new...very good...

On another thread I mentioned an out of print title that was brand new and priced right for the market...but quicksrt thought I was wrong..and I asked him to post a better deal so more members might consider it...so now I'm looking at one of his suggestions that he thought was worth buying quickly as it would be gone....but several weeks later it's still available...so why is it still available....IMO it's 2 reasons....one is the demand for this title isn't very strong...and second the seller is a question mark for reasons I stated here

A couple of weeks is really not enough time to see what is going on with an OOP title.

I didn't say you were wrong. I just felt that the Aretha DTS disc is currently overpriced even on the low end.

The only time I told you you were wrong - or I implied it, is when I said that popular titles are often not the big ticket items - but it's the lower number pressed cult items like Cobham.

And speaking of demand, this AF Quadio title was quite low in demand and took years to sellout. It's not high-res, it's DVD/V format, which you know what that means?

This is why it is imo overpriced. Demand is not that strong. But we will know for sure later, not in two weeks time but in two years time.

The Billy Cobham was OOP (and sold out) in less than 3 months after release. Pressed in a conservative number. And it's high-res and SACD, you know what that means.

So of course demand must be there, but length of time the availability on the market is a biggie.

I see Aretha being in the $35 to $50 range in longer term.

I'm a certified flipper btw. Two eBay accounts with over 2000 feedbacks on one account and 700 on the other, plus I have Amazon going as well.

So I make it my duty to appraise and buy things when the price is right. I've paid for my entire collection by buying two copies of certain things, flipping the second one for 3x price paid. I just love doing it, not making a living or anything. There are two other AF titles that I think are going "supernova." I can't say which ones just yet, but they were Audio Fidelity single pressing runs and now the only offers currently seen are from other countries (Japan, etc.), no US sellers at all. That means international flippers are hip to it, and are thinking the exact same thing I am.

I happen to love the Aretha Franklin DTS Quadio release by the way, and thrilled it came out even in this format.

Last edited:
7b9b2611ba0b3c9aeaa80b3fb4cb027f.jpg

From vinyl rip. Love this music!

I absolutely love doing vinyl drops and try and do a few per week at least. I do 24/96kHx, but then go to FLAC> I see you stayed in PCM for this album.

Which player is this on the big screen?

I absolutely love doing vinyl drops and try and do a few per week at least. I do 24/96kHx, but then go to FLAC> I see you stayed in PCM for this album.

Which player is this on the big screen?

It's Foobar2000, only using a third party skin called DarkOneV4. Funny you mentioned PCM...I didn't mean to do that. Good catch.

A couple of weeks is really not enough time to see what is going on with an OOP title.

I didn't say you were wrong. I just felt that the Aretha DTS disc is currently overpriced even on the low end.

The only time I told you you were wrong - or I implied it, is when I said that popular titles are often not the big ticket items - but it's the lower number pressed cult items like Cobham.

And speaking of demand, this AF Quadio title was quite low in demand and took years to sellout. It's not high-res, it's DVD/V format, which you know what that means?

This is why it is imo overpriced. Demand is not that strong. But we will know for sure later, not in two weeks time but in two years time.

The Billy Cobham was OOP (and sold out) in less than 3 months after release. Pressed in a conservative number. And it's high-res and SACD, you know what that means.

So of course demand must be there, but length of time the availability on the market is a biggie.

I see Aretha being in the $35 to $50 range in longer term.

I'm a certified flipper btw. Two eBay accounts with over 2000 feedbacks on one account and 700 on the other, plus I have Amazon going as well.

So I make it my duty to appraise and buy things when the price is right. I've paid for my entire collection by buying two copies of certain things, flipping the second one for 3x price paid. I just love doing it, not making a living or anything. There are two other AF titles that I think are going "supernova." I can't say which ones just yet, but they were Audio Fidelity single pressing runs and now the only offers currently seen are from other countries (Japan, etc.), no US sellers at all. That means international flippers are hip to it, and are thinking the exact same thing I am.

I happen to love the Aretha Franklin DTS Quadio release by the way, and thrilled it came out even in this format.

I know you play the "long game" and most on here are aware of your tendencies in that regard...and there is nothing wrong with that...but it's not beneficial to someone that wants to buy now...and sometimes the "waiting" game results in the inability to get the title....there are some titles that can't be purchased anymore...

What someone that wants to buy now should do, is not (only) look at current prices being asked, or that a certain priced disc is still around from same seller (a sign it's priced too high?) after a second week or three. They may have more copies, and it's not always the same disc that second week.

What I mean by longer term, and the prices is to look at completed "sold" items at the bay. What folks really paid for an item not what some dreamer would like you to pay.

As an example, there are the sold copies of the Aretha Quadio, and what was paid (if the link works). This gives us a clearer picture.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...eDesc=0&_sop=16&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

$25 - $52 range.

I hope this adds to the knowledge base, and is not taken as an argument by most readers here.

Last edited:
What someone that wants to buy now should do, is not (only) look at current prices being asked, or that a certain priced disc is still around from same seller (a sign it's priced too high?) after a second week or three. They may have more copies, and it's not always the same disc that second week.

What I mean by longer term, and the prices is to look at completed "sold" items at the bay. What folks really paid for an item not what some dreamer would like you to pay.

As an example, there are the sold copies of the Aretha Quadio, and what was paid (if the link works). This gives us a clearer picture.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...eDesc=0&_sop=16&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

$25 - $52 range.

I hope this adds to the knowledge base, and is not taken as an argument by most readers here.

It would have been helpful if we were comparing "new" sealed titles...but we aren't...I don't have to tell you what the actual variance between a brand new copy and a subjective opinion by the seller of the condition...I've seen "like new" that was more like good with marks on the disc...so if you have a new one to offer up...that would be more indicative of the range you suggest

Last edited:
It would have been helpful if we were comparing "new" sealed titles...but we aren't...I don't have to tell you what the actual variance is between a brand new copy and a subjective opinion by the seller of the condition...I've seen "like new" that was more like good with marks on the disc...so if you have a new one to offer up...that would be more indicative of the range you suggest
Those just happen to be listed (and sold) as Sealed New copies, and if they turn out to not be..... then that's between buyer and ebay / PayPal dispute.

But for the good of the conversation we should sssume what we see is what we get. I mean unless you just like arguing with me here.

Quicksrt appraisal was rather spot on - if completed sales are a true indicator.

Last edited:
Back