Guns N‘ Roses - Appetite For Destruction Locked N’ Loaded Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...Universal already tried marketing standalone Blu-Rays and clearly they feel that's not a successful business model. So we have these sets, and honestly, we're lucky they include surround mixes at all. And who knows how long it'll be in print - You could pay $80 now or up to $400 in a year or two (that's what the Layla set mixed by Scheiner goes for now).

When they stop doing these "super deluxe editions", that's when we're really screwed...

I fear that day is not too far off...Classical Music has kept SACD alive and led the way with Blu Ray Audio...the music industry is speeding up the demise of physical discs with this "modern mastering"...even people like me that want to buy new CD releases are gun shy because they are so compressed....I don't mind the overpriced box sets anymore...as long as they are well done..because not buying them... based on principle... only hurts you...not the company....and if you embrace the external drive methodology there are anxious buyers in the secondary markets(Ebay and discogs)that will buy your music after you have put it on a drive...it works well for both parties...the buyers get a reduced price and you get the music you wanted on your drive for a reduced price....it's the perfect market correction...but it only works IF the product is well done...which is the fly in the ointment...

I can live without a super expensive deluxe G n R....id rather give my $$$ to DV for more reasonably priced quads or buy some more used discs in quad or 5.1 from others

Axyl n Slash n UMG have enough cash...they can drop prices or keep it...me ill save my dough for something more worthy

In the meantime, GnR is selling the normal super deluxe box on their own website for $80. Great price, IMO.
Whoa, I'd better look into that: if shipping to Australia isn't in the Intervention-Records-prohibitive region, I'm sold. 🤩 Thanks heaps for the heads up.

Meanwhile, on the subject of standalones versus boxsets, I almost always prefer a single-disc, or CD/DVD-A (or CD/BD-A, or even SACD/DTS-DVD Depeche Mode style) release, for the understandable cost & space reasons. If an LP is particularly important to me, I'll spring for a box. The Layla & Wish You Were Here boxes are prime examples. For me, Appetite is one of those LPs: it was a big part of my high school years. Other recent releases such as Eye In The Sky ... well, I'm glad a single-disc edition was released, as it's more of a nice-to-have. Same is true of Sgt. Pepper, which is why I haven't bought it. Steeling myself for the expense of The White Album, though ... that one I couldn't bear to miss. 😉

....and if you embrace the external drive methodology there are anxious buyers in the secondary markets(Ebay and discogs)that will buy your music after you have put it on a drive...it works well for both parties...the buyers get a reduced price and you get the music you wanted on your drive for a reduced price....it's the perfect market correction..

I'm not judging anyone, everyone is free to do what they want but your statement is not true. It is not "a perfect market correction" because under the DMCA it is illegal to keep the music on an external hard drive after you sell the original. The law says you are supposed to "destroy" any copies after you sell the original.

Again, not judging but this method is clearly not a sustainable "market correction".

I'm not judging anyone, everyone is free to do what they want but your statement is not true. It is not "a perfect market correction" because under the DMCA it is illegal to keep the music on an external hard drive after you sell the original. The law says you are supposed to "destroy" any copies after you sell the original.

Again, not judging but this method is clearly not a sustainable "market correction".

Not to contradict what you are promulgating, salsdali, but IMO the record companies have been ripping US off for years with shoddy products, compressed reissues and after reading the unfortunate article outlining the diastrous Universal fire and other tragedies involving lost or missing masters and multitracks, I feel that if I were to keep a copy of the 'original' music which I legally purchased and then sold if off on ebay or discogs, I would feel totally justified in doing so.

I cannot honestly calculate how many copies of the very same album I've purchased over the years to find one which suited my ears.......on first vinyl, then cassette, perhaps Open Reel then compact disc [24k Gold and silver] and possibly surround remixes when available.

I paid my dues to both the artists and the record conglomerates and I also fault the artists themselves for sometimes allowing shoddy product and/or remasters to infiltrate the market ....... with scant regard for quality control.

I don't mind paying for QUALITY but who's going to reimburse me for the Quantity of poor product the major conglomerates and artists have been foisting on us FOR YEARS .......?

Last edited:
Not to contradict what you are promulgating, salsdali, but IMO the record companies have been ripping US off for years with shoddy products, compressed reissues and after reading the unfortunate article outlining the diastrous Universal fire and other tragedies involving lost or missing masters and multitracks, I feel that if I were to keep a copy of the 'original' music which I legally purchased and then sold if off on ebay or discogs, I would feel totally justified in doing so.

I cannot honestly calculate how many copies of the very same album I've purchased over the years to find one which suited my ears.......on first vinyl, then cassette, perhaps Open Reel then compact disc [24k Gold and silver] and possibly surround remixes when available.

I paid my dues to both the artists and the record conglomerates and I also fault the artists themselves for sometimes allowing shoddy product and/or remasters to infiltrate the market ....... with scant regard for quality control?

I don't mind paying for QUALITY but who's going to reimburse me for the Quantity of poor product the major conglomerates and artists have been foisting on us FOR YEARS .......?

I feel exactly the same way you do, I was just pointing out Clint's error in thinking that that method will "correct" the market.

It may make us feel better, it's just factually incorrect.

Good news, everyone! I bit and ordered the aforementioned regular-super-deluxe box. Shipping to AU was US$13.18, which is criminally reasonable, for a box that probably weighs nearly a kilogram. :LOL: Even better news, though, is that I haven't been charged Australia Tax on this purchase. That's a reasonable saving: enough for a pint on the weekend, or a couple of second-hand CDs from the record shop. 🍺:phones

Whoa, that is a lot. :( I quickly consulted Australia Post's international parcel page, and it quoted me AU$17 to send a parcel of less than 500 g from Melbourne to Canada. The packaged single-disc Blu-ray wouldn't weigh more than that, would it? By the bye, excellent film choice! Working Dog Productions is an Australian national treasure. :D

Whoa, that is a lot. :( I quickly consulted Australia Post's international parcel page, and it quoted me AU$17 to send a parcel of less than 500 g from Melbourne to Canada. The packaged single-disc Blu-ray wouldn't weigh more than that, would it? By the bye, excellent film choice! Working Dog Productions is an Australian national treasure. :D

No it wouldn't weigh more, but I should have clarified this was from a couple major online retailers and you know they aren't always going to go by what they're actually being charged! Fortunately I got hooked up on that item by another QQ forum member, the Gods smiled on me. :)

I had a dear friend once upon a time from Perth and that's how I got to hearing about The Castle, unlikely I would ever have heard of it without him. As you can imagine, this Blu-ray is going straight to the pool room!

Last edited:
I'm having troubles with the GNR mix now that I finally have it, and I really don't think this is typical of ES - listening to Sweet Child and Patience it seems the lead vocals are all over the place, like...everywhere except the centre channel. I enjoy the music, but the vocals are almost as bad as the Soundgarden Adam kasper mix. ANyone got any suggestions? I know my system is pretty dialed in because my reference cuts like Joe Satriani, BJ Scenes Italian Restaurant and SW's Perfect Life (from HCE) all sound absolutely magic.

Very disappointed but for sure going to explore more when I have more time, I just had about 10 mins the other night so checked out those two cuts.
I noticed this after just a few seconds of hearing it for the first time. It's a very odd mix.

In the meantime, GnR is selling the normal super deluxe box on their own website for $80. Great price, IMO.

Just went to the above link to the band's website and it's now $40 for a limited time with free shipping to US. Not sure when this sale ends. This is not a band or an album I really like except for a couple of songs which I wouldn't mind having in surround. I would not have spent $80 but $40 was worth it to me for the songs I like to use on a surround compilation. Hope it's still there for those of you who are interested.

Just went to the above link to the band's website and it's now $40 for a limited time with free shipping to US. Not sure when this sale ends. This is not a band or an album I really like except for a couple of songs which I wouldn't mind having in surround. I would not have spent $80 but $40 was worth it to me for the songs I like to use on a surround compilation. Hope it's still there for those of you who are interested.

Same here I had bought this set for my son (nostalgia) not my usual listening genre. But for $40 I have the same sentiment's of wanting to hear a couple tracks in 5.1. Thanks for the heads up I'm sure a few members will buy and flip but I'll hold on to mine. Should have been the original price to begin with.

Thank you Spinz :LB

US Code GNR10 for an extra 10 percent off down to 36 bux. :SG Snood not really need, already have one, but for 36 bux plus tax = 38.34 Snood is in for 1 more lol

Last edited:
Back