Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day - 5.1 DTS-HD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouldn't this be the better package to pick up the 2 cd and bluray as wouldn't the bluray in this package also have dts master audio 5.1 plus the visual for the concert vs the audio only bluray with no video which I don't understand why they would do that as bluray has enough capacity for both lossless audio and hd visual.

http://www.amazon.com/Celebration-D...sr=8-12&keywords=led+zeppelin+celebration+day

As huge as Zeppelin still are (and as big as this release is) I still cannot fathom how this can merit EIGHT different types of packaging and/or contents..?!?

There's CD-sized digipacks, DVD-sized digipacks, blu-ray sized digipacks.. softpaks..bloody hell.. Whats a softpak..?? I'm surprised (for once!) there's no vinyl..!!

could no-one involved in putting this out there have had some conviction and taken a decision to present the sets as one or the other (i.e. a music-only CD release in a CD-sized pack, or a video release in DVD packaging) and then maybe a couple of sets in DVD/BD packaging respectively with CD/DVD or CD/BD in them.. that'd be just 4 different configs, at least.

talk about hedging your bets/covering your bases..!

so that's 10 different incarnations..!!

could this release set a new record for the highest number of configurations of format/packaging by one title at once..?!?!?

As huge as Zeppelin still are (and as big as this release is) I still cannot fathom how this can merit EIGHT different types of packaging and/or contents..?!?

There's CD-sized digipacks, DVD-sized digipacks, blu-ray sized digipacks.. softpaks..bloody hell.. Whats a softpak..?? I'm surprised (for once!) there's no vinyl..!!

could no-one involved in putting this out there have had some conviction and taken a decision to present the sets as one or the other (i.e. a music-only CD release in a CD-sized pack, or a video release in DVD packaging) and then maybe a couple of sets in DVD/BD packaging respectively with CD/DVD or CD/BD in them.. that'd be just 4 different configs, at least.

I wish we had that many options with the Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull boxes!

There is vinyl:

http://www.amazon.com/Celebration-D...sr=8-14&keywords=led+zeppelin+celebration+day

Pre-ordered both thr deluxe version & the standalone BD-A version.
£55 in all, but worth while - I have paid £60 for bootleg Zeppelin silvers before now.

Just when you think there have been enough versions announced I get this from Amazon UK:

"We're contacting you regarding your pre-order for the following item:

--------------------------------------------------
Title: Celebration Day [2CD+Blu-ray--CD Case]

ASIN: B009E3EYMY
--------------------------------------------------

The above ASIN was filmed on a 24 frame rate and is suitable for use with all Blu-ray players.

We wanted to let you know that we now have a better quality version of this Blu-ray, filmed on a 25 frame rate, available for the same price as your current order.

Please note, this version is only compatible with Blu-ray players within the UK and European Union.

If you wish to purchase the better quality version, please cancel your current order for the above ASIN in Your Account
and place a new order at the below link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009KLH0EO

We look forward to seeing you again soon."

Looking at the Amazon UK site, there now seem to be "European" variants for the assorted CD/DVD/Blu-ray combos so it might be worth checking your orders if you're in Region B to make sure you're getting the higher spec version (although I personally doubt if I could spot a higher frame rate).:confused:

The question is what the original framerate the concert was shot in, which I suspect was probably 24p (or 23.978) given it's getting theatrical release. If that's the case you want the 24p version as a 25p version will have interpolated frames to make up the difference, or in laymans terms, think about the kind of numeric result you get when you divide 24 by 25 - the answer is a visual mess!

The question is what the original framerate the concert was shot in, which I suspect was probably 24p (or 23.978) given it's getting theatrical release. If that's the case you want the 24p version as a 25p version will have interpolated frames to make up the difference, or in laymans terms, think about the kind of numeric result you get when you divide 24 by 25 - the answer is a visual mess!

is this a PAL throwback thing?

why would Warner be coming up with a "superior" version for the UK & Euro territories only, unless there's some problem with the 24p one on certain UK/Euro displays?

is this 1080 25p disc unique?

Saw this at the cinema 3 days ago.

I wasn't too pleased with the editing and the directing... There were so many opportunities to do impressive shots... very few of which were taken. The thing looks like it was "filmed-for-TV". Too many close-ups and no more a handful of group shots, all of which are too quick.

There was a problem with the sound in the theater at first. I guess the volume level of the files was too high and the technician didn't adjust the levels accordingly, everything was screechy and in the red. (n) Although there were maybe 400 people in the theater, I was the first to get up and talk to the manager. They fixed it 45mn later... :rolleyes:
Nothing really radical with the surround, mainly audience sounds. I felt the guitar was mixed too high and the bass too low, but that could be the theater.

The band takes a while to get into it, the first 5 or 6 songs are lackluster, but it gets gradually better. The last 3 or 4 songs are great. It wasn't amazing or anything. I won't be buying the BR.

Nothing really radical with the surround, mainly audience sounds.

That is a major concern. The fact that they took the trouble to issue a separate BD-Audio disc gives me hope that they actually took the time to do at least that version correctly. While the BD with the movie having mainly audience sounds for the surround would be disappointing, it also wouldn't be unusual. But releasing a BD-Audio with that type of mix would be criminal. Am I just dreaming, or is it possible that the BD-Audio version might be a different mix? I'm hoping Plan9's experience was more an issue with the theater than the finished mix.

That is a major concern. The fact that they took the trouble to issue a separate BD-Audio disc gives me hope that they actually took the time to do at least that version correctly. While the BD with the movie having mainly audience sounds for the surround would be disappointing, it also wouldn't be unusual. But releasing a BD-Audio with that type of mix would be criminal. Am I just dreaming, or is it possible that the BD-Audio version might be a different mix? I'm hoping Plan9's experience was more an issue with the theater than the finished mix.

I can't see the BD-Audio being a different surround mix, sadly.. but I'm still hopeful it just might.

I'm getting it mostly so I ensure I have all rock & pop BD-Audio releases, in case the format dies out and turns out to be the ultimate niche within a niche with only a short life & tiny amount of releases.

I hope the BD Audio is more specific than just the BD video with the pictures turned off.

Does anybody remember laughter?

Just got my deluxe 2 CD/Blu-Ray/DVD. Don't ask. Video and audio quality are very good, albeit not much happening in the rears, just applesauce, er applause. I'll wait to hear if there is a different mix on the Blu-Ray-A before I purchase that. The DVD included in the deluxe package is a full dress rehearsal. I'm told the deluxe is the only version which includes that.

:banana:

514z7R7tyVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just got my deluxe 2 CD/Blu-Ray/DVD. Don't ask. Video and audio quality are very good, albeit not much happening in the rears, just applesauce, er applause. I'll wait to hear if there is a different mix on the Blu-Ray-A before I purchase that. The DVD included in the deluxe package is a full dress rehearsal. I'm told the deluxe is the only version which includes that.

:banana:

View attachment 8164

Sorry to report, BD-A is mostly applause in the rears. Very disappointed.

Back