Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha.. they're for when i listen to King Crimson's "Lizard" DVD-A! šŸ¦Ž

(which is about twice in 10 years. no reflection on the music or the mix - at all.. there's just been so so much "new" surround music coming in over the years even the gems on the shelves get criminally overlooked.. a good problem i guess!) šŸ§šŸ˜

Considering what I believe should be coming the last half of the year, all I gotta say to that (in a good way) is:

Tomita - Firebird; SACD 4.0

Totally blown away by the sonics on this mind-blowing quadraphonic re-release by DV. This is a recent purchase and my first experience with anything by Tomita. To say this is an impressive experience would be an understatement. Youā€™re constantly enveloped by layers and layers of sound coming at you from every direction.

Canā€™t imagine that Frogmort wouldnā€™t dig this with a little sweet leaf!

Tomita - Firebird; SACD 4.0

Totally blown away by the sonics on this mind-blowing quadraphonic re-release by DV. This is a recent purchase and my first experience with anything by Tomita. To say this is an impressive experience would be an understatement. Youā€™re constantly enveloped by layers and layers of sound coming at you from every direction.

Canā€™t imagine that Frogmort wouldnā€™t dig this with a little sweet leaf!
Oo... I love all the Tomita SACDs I own, which is quite a few. One more from D-V: Clair de something or other. It's great too.

It's virtually impossible to go wrong with ANY of Tomita's discs!!!
GRAB ALL OF THEM!!!!
The only thing that causes me some pause with Tomita discs is, depending on which label puts it out, some tracks are borrowed from other recordings and stuff, and it's kinda confusing, to me.
Like, he released a certain number (6?) of original quad LP (maybe tapes?) and not all those tracks are accounted for, yet, on SACD, but there are more than 6 SACDS, so far...

Best Of The Guess Who Vol. II & Rockin' two-fer SACD from D-V.

Best Of Vol. II in quad is certainly sounding better than I've ever heard it, but I am noticing quite a bit more tape hiss in comparison to Rockin'. You can really hear the difference if you compare the tracks that appear on both albums ("Guns, Guns, Guns", "Heartbroken Bopper"). I guess one master tape held up better than the other over the years. Not a complaint, just an observation - once the busier tracks get going you can't really hear it anyway, but on the piano intro to "Sour Suite" it is admittedly a bit distracting.

I'd never heard Rockin' in quad before: as others have stated before, it is indeed a bit of a strange mix. It almost sounds like it would benefit from rotating all four channels, which would put the guitars in the front and piano in the back (or vice versa), but then you'd get the drums in diagonal channels. It's definitely much more discrete than the prior Guess Who quads in the 'PQ8' series.

Last edited:
The only thing that causes me some pause with Tomita discs is, depending on which label puts it out, some tracks are borrowed from other recordings and stuff, and it's kinda confusing, to me.
Like, he released a certain number (6?) of original quad LP (maybe tapes?) and not all those tracks are accounted for, yet, on SACD, but there are more than 6 SACDS, so far...

From what I noticed on those Tomita Denon discs , and like ,( even though I don't have any yet) there seems to be a bevy of bonus quad material. ? :)

Like kapn states----get em all, they're all great !
I too , recommend em. :)

Jasmine Nightdreams : Edgar Winter (DTS CD)

"hello mellow feelin'.."

:smokin

hello marvellous mix!
still a "10".
(one of the most underrated, overlooked Quad mixes of all-time imho.)
Geez, Ralphie and Adam have, between them, posted three 10ā€™s in the past 24-36 hours! Thatā€™s enough to make the young Bo Derek blush!

Back