New Opeth album ”In Cauda Venenum” box w/ blu-ray 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am halfway through and in my opinion the mix is a winner! Musically I will need certainly some more listening...

On the Blu-ray there are only the 48 KHz / 24 bit 5.1 versions (English + Swedish), no hi-rez stereo.
After reading your comment I decided to buy the box... but it's nowhere to be found :(

Edit: Scratch that... ebay came to the rescue!

Comments from the Steve Hoffman's forum seem to indicate it's not, in fact, a discrete 5.1 mix. It's a mere stereo upmix just like Sorceress...

lol fair enough, but I don't visit either place very often so I'm impartial. A new Opeth album was a good enough reason for me to come back here, and also at SH's ;)

That being said, most Opeth 5.1 mixes are shitty lossy stereo upmixes so that's what I'm expecting yet again this time... at the risk of sounding cynical. I'll wait to hear it for myself but I wouldn't be surprised if they are indeed right about this.

The only great one I can remember is Pale Communion, I believe. And... maybe Heritage, too?

Storm Corrosion is also magistral but that's because of Steven Wilson's direct involvement in the creative process. He never did as good of a job as producer for Opeth than what he did for Anathema or even his oldschool prog remixes (Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, etc)

Last edited:
Comments from the Steve Hoffman's forum seem to indicate it's not, in fact, a discrete 5.1 mix. It's a mere stereo upmix just like Sorceress...

Hm, I do not agree to this statement. This does sound and look like a good mix to me, no upmix. Some songs have more discrete elements than others - as usual. While I loaded the files to Audacity I realized that it appears to be a 4.1 mix...

01.jpg02.jpg

Hm, I do not agree to this statement. This does sound and look like a good mix to me, no upmix. Some songs have more discrete elements than others - as usual. While I loaded the files to Audacity I realized that it appears to be a 4.1 mix...

You mean 5.0? It's common for Opeth IIRC...

Otherwise, good to know about the discrete mix, thanks!

The only great one I can remember is Pale Communion, I believe. And... maybe Heritage, too?

Don’t forget about Damnation - also by SW (who I believe did the original stereo mix as well). Bruce Soord’s mix of Deliverance is solid too, though I’m not a big fan of that album.

Last edited:
Well, just by looking at the how they set up the different editions for this album, it's clear that the 5.1 mix wasn't really a focus. I mean, there are like four different vinyl versions and a cassette yet no standalone surround. Still weird to me how he can be best buds with SW and have no appreciation for surround audio.

Ok, so based on those waveforms it seems to be a real multichannel mix this time! I ordered mine (in the US) from MovieMars for $69.04, including shipping: https://www.moviemars.com/ProductDetails.aspx?i=21819806

Initially I tried from NuclearBlast's website, but even with 10% off (code: BLASTOFF10) it still ended up being over $90, because they wanted $20 for shipping.

Back