New Opeth album ”In Cauda Venenum” box w/ blu-ray 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another lovely moment, the solo on "Minnets Yta"

1569953620446.png

So, nice 4.1 mix, not discrety-discrete, lot of echo but good for me. This is "Allting Tar Slut" (yeah, I'm listening in swedish, I never listened to Opeth lyrics anyway ^^)

I love the final 2 minutes of mellow-riffing... It gives me goose bumps 🤩

That's disappointing. Not worth a purchase for me, what with all the bloat in the deluxe edition. Maybe if they released the blu-ray on its own. Looks like I'll buy the CD and probably be torrenting the 5(4).1 version when someone uploads it.

That's disappointing. Not worth a purchase for me, what with all the bloat in the deluxe edition. Maybe if they released the blu-ray on its own. Looks like I'll buy the CD and probably be torrenting the 5(4).1 version when someone uploads it.
Anybody interest by my all new deluxe box? I just used the blu-ray once 😀

Ok, so based on those waveforms it seems to be a real multichannel mix this time! I ordered mine (in the US) from MovieMars for $69.04, including shipping: https://www.moviemars.com/ProductDetails.aspx?i=21819806

Initially I tried from NuclearBlast's website, but even with 10% off (code: BLASTOFF10) it still ended up being over $90, because they wanted $20 for shipping.

Did you order from the Nuclear Blast America site? They only charged me $6.00 for shipping for $84.99 total, with no discount.

Ditto. Same for the latest Riverside 5.1 soon to be released. Basically making their fans buy the CD again just to get the 5.1, what a waste.

Gents, has anyone listened to the stereo version yet? I have downloaded from Amazon at the max rate and it sounds flat and dull. However, the album is great, I love Lovelorn Crime, fantastic song.

Gents, has anyone listened to the stereo version yet? I have downloaded from Amazon at the max rate and it sounds flat and dull. However, the album is great, I love Lovelorn Crime, fantastic song.

Sounds fine to me. Opeth have released several dull sounding albums back to back to back. I think they're aiming for the 'retro' sound. I don't think ICA sounds particularly bad though, and may be the best recording of theirs in quite some time.

This mix is disappointing. It has a lot of textures and elements to break out into the rears; and yet, it’s all crowded into the fronts and center.

WTF is with the echo. Boo....save your money

Akerfeldt really doesn't seem to like surround. His obsession with vinyl sound is... misguided, in my opinion. It's a shame, as the music is great but there's no clarity.

I'm on my first listen and I think it's much better then the comments above would indicate.At times it sounds like a partial upmix but with added disctreete elements in the rear.There are also some times spoken words and sound effects.Now on track 8 which starts off with guitar in the right left and piano in the left rear.I really like it so far. :) It helps that I really like the music too.;)

I've listened to both versions several times now, and prefer Akerfeldts vocal delivery in Swedish. As to the music, it definitely improves over Sorceress but I don't think it has quite the progressive impact that Pale Communion had. I'm finding the mix to be dense and heavily layered, but at volume the instrumentation is clear as are the vocals. After listening to it and reading through this thread, even if the surround mix is a genuine 4.1 none of the comments have convinced me that it's a must have. Particularly not with the bloated/unwanted content and inflated price the blu-ray package has. I listen to most CDs/2-channel sources enhanced and upmixed into 7.2.4 Atmos (via Sony UBP-X800 and Yamaha CX-5200 Processor) and it's astonishing just how good a 2 channel source can sound this way - centered vocals, ultra wide sound stage, ambience to spare, and even some directionality in certain instruments and voices. These days if I'm going to pay a premium for a surround mix, it needs to bring a lot more to the table than just more echo, a wider sound stage, and some ambience in the rears - which any truly discrete surround mix should do. At the current price, and with these reviews, the blu-ray package is a pass for me.

Back