Opeth's Blackwater Park coming in march 2010

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baker

According to Opeth's official site, they will release a special edition of their breakthrough album Blackwater Park, in the same way they did for Still Life two years ago.

It will be a DVD-V with a 5.1 mix (let's cross fingers for a DTS version), a 30 min making-of and a booklet with new artwork from Travis Smith.

Yummy !!! :banana:

It will be a DVD-V with a 5.1 mix (let's cross fingers for a DTS version)
Until now they had DTS with their 5.1 Special editions. So chances are good
Let's hope it will be a bit more adventurous mix :rolleyes:

Thanx for the heads-up

Jens Bogren gets better at this with each mix, but let's hope he asks the original producer for his input.;)
Not getting Steven Wilson involved would be a shame in my opinion but unfortunately I think he already has his hands pretty full for now :(

S. Wilson clearly stated in interviews that he had spent his 2009 year doing quite a few surround mixes. He even said that some of these mixes would be very surprising, given the name of the original artist.

BwP wouldn't be surprising, but it wouldn't be out of place either. And I think he's still very proud of his work on this production, so it would make sense that he'd get involved in the 5.1 mix.

Now... all of this is reads more like a prayer than just a rational thought ! :D

Oh, that's great news then! I never heard of this.
I know he worked on the forthcoming Orphaned Land album, hopefully he made a surround mix for that too :D
Also, I remember he said a few years ago (when announcing the Lightbulb Sun 5.1 reissue!) that a 5.1 mix of Recordings (Porcupine Tree's really rare B-sides album) was in his plans. Hopefully that's one of those 5.1 mix you are talking about hehe

I don't think so, he was more like "hey, I've just remixed an album from a certain band, you guys will never believe I even gave a damn about them !".

The Recordings surround remixes seem to have been spilled over the reissues of Lightbulb, Stupid and Absentia. At last it's what it seems to me - don't know about the remaining "unreleased" tracks but it seems unlikely that Recordings 5.1 will ever see the light of day.

'Course I'd rather be wrong, and ever more so if SW could manage to reissue The Sky... in surround ! :)

Only just heard this band for the first time recently.
"Damnation" certainly sounds pretty good to me.......will have to check out some of these other titles too.

"Damnation" certainly sounds pretty good to me.......will have to check out some of these other titles too.
I think you should, be informed that Damnation is their only "quiet" album, the others are a lot more metalic.
Surround versions are released of "Ghost Reveries", "Watershed" and "Still Life". Of those I recommend the last one.

Both :cool:
of course the DTS is needed to get the death metal onslaught parts across in 5.0 :D

That is exactly why I asked!
Trying to imagine how terrible a DD version would be with all the transient smearing.......not to mention the brutal recompression caused by the DRC algorithm.

GE,
Any reason for only recommending Still Life and not Ghost Reveries and Watershed. Understand music is highly opinionated, but is it with regards to the albums themselves, or the 5.1 mix. All three are available on Amazon, by the way.
Regards,
Mike

Only just heard this band for the first time recently.

Neil, keep in mind that, if your first exposure to the band is "Damnation," the rest of the discography might catch you by surprise. "Damnation" is closer to a Porcupine Tree album than an actual Opeth album and is really only showing the "light" side of the band. On the rest of their albums, there's plenty of "dark," but it just makes the "light" sound all the more beautiful. There is also something very serene about some well-made black metal as well. Enjoy.

"Still Life" is definitely my favorite. Haven't thought a whole lot of the retail 5.1 Opeth I've heard thus far, but I may have only heard "Ghost Reveries."

GE,
Any reason for only recommending Still Life and not Ghost Reveries and Watershed.
From the ones in surround I think it's the best combination of album and mix, Ghost Reveries is OK but the 5.1 (or is that 4.0;)) is mwah and I still don't know what to think of Watershed, it's a half new band with a bit different attitude.

I still think that Still Life had a major flaw : the surround mix is not faithful to the original stereo mix. It is especially blatant during the guitar duets. And I still claim that Ghost... may not be the best surround mix around (thank Heavens no !), but this one IS faitful to the original sonic experience, and some parts really outstand the rest (the best part for me being the "knock knock !!" at the end of the third track : you could swear some Banshee is knocking at your front door).

Regarding Watershed, I'll pass my turn. I appreciate the album but don't like it, I appreciate the surround mix but don't like it, I am very interested in the arguing that's been going on since its release... but don't like it ! :D

Back