Possible Barclay James Harvest release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusinurbe

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
From the BJH web site: http://www.bjharvest.co.uk/news.htm

Finally, EMI Records intend to release a new deluxe edition of Once Again around this time which will include previously unreleased alternative versions of tracks from the original album, along with a bonus DVD disc which features a 5.1 surround mix of the album recently done by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios. More details of the final content of the package will appear in the coming weeks.

As i have said if this encourages EMI to release More original mixes then I'm In and hope that they can be persuaded to go all the way and release as DVDA

time to resurect an old thread news on 17 of September 2010 on the BJH web site :

EMI Records will issue a Deluxe Edition of Once Again on January 31st, 2011, in time for the 40th anniversary of the release of the original album, which first appeared in February 1971. The 2CD set will include a new 5.1 surround mix of the album as well as previously unreleased versions of some of the songs from the album - a full tracklist will follow soon.

Not sure what this will actually be !!2 cd set with a new 5.1 mix ?

Once Again is a great album and I'll buy this one for sure...and I hope they do some others as well, like Gone to Earth

BJH were a great band - this could be wonderful if for real..
Imagine "Suicide" in 5.1 - especially the end section.....total headfuck.

This is my favourite BJH album (which it was very difficult to get a non-skipping vinyl copy of originally in 1971) so I couldn't ask for anything better for their 1st modern surround release. It lends itself to the surround mix just like the Moodies albums. I've got the Brimstone CD of the quad mix but clearly it doesn't play in surround, just gives you the sound of that mix. Never got any quad vinyl if it was issued.

I see that you can finally preorder this title. I have ordered it.
Not sure how accurate information is about it being a Dvd Audio so sure hope it at least has a Dts 5.1
Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-Again...LJVM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293036314&sr=8-2

and information from BJH website saying this:

"EMI release a 40th Anniversary Edition of the Once Again album on January 31st, 2011. The two disc set comprises a CD with a remastered stereo version of the album and five previously unreleased bonus tracks, plus a DVD audio disc with the original album in 5.1 surround sound and high-resolution stereo"

http://www.bjharvest.co.uk/news.htm

peter

BJH were a great band - this could be wonderful if for real..
Imagine "Suicide" in 5.1 - especially the end section.....total headfuck.

And the song takes on a whole new aura now with the recent suicide of Woolly Wolstenholme...

From the difficult to read back cover I believe it says:
Original Analogue Stereo Master: 96kHz/24 bit PCM Stereo
Surround Sound: DTS 96/24 and Dolby Digital
Original Quad SQ Stereo Remastered: 96kHz/24bit PCM Stereo

No DVD-Audio unfortunately, but I've pre-ordered and look forward to getting this.

Anybody wanting my copy is welcome to it - nothing wrong with the sound or mix - I just don't like the music.

Claimed already!

Last edited:
Anyone in U.S. who wants this would be best off to pre-order from amazon.co.uk versus amazon.com.

Amazon.com has free shipping, but the price is $35.84. Amazon.co.uk's price today is $23.50 including shipping, plus they release it a week earlier. Here's the direct link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ETLJVM/ref=pe_3451_23409901_snp_dp

Virtually the same deal today on 20 FEB: Amazon.co.uk was much cheaper even with shipping. Ordered it - hope I like it!

I've now got this one, and it's a very interesting disc.
The SQ Quad is there at 24/96 (remastered, so not sure what that will have done to the matrix - will decode & test)
The stereo is there at 24/96, and the 5.1 is actually "derived from the original quad", so expect something similar to the DTS-CD done the same way.
Zip in the centre channel & a fudged LFE. It's available in both DTS 9624 and Dobly Dirgital.

All this aside, what's the mix like?
Only spun this a couple of times recently so not come to a conclusion yet, but I like it.

I like this disc as well. Not quite sure about the difference between the original analogue and original quad stereo master? (sorry, was just born in the quad days...)
It is a well thought-out set, my only complaint would be that they did not include the bonus tracks from the CD on the DVD

i did order from Amazon.ca but would be available on the march 22. for now listen the copy
and could tell i enjoy the sound of stereo and SQ streams on the DVD.
b.t.w. in Canada Amazon sells it for $19.99 when in US same set sells for $32.
https://www.amazon.ca/Once-Again-40...=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1298736936&sr=1-5
i'd completed quad decoding but haven't heard ever original LP quadraphonic and
can't do comparison. obvious that DTS is much superior in it's surround panorama
albeit is way too weaker in the fidelity and dinamic range of the sound

This is a fine upgrade from my SQ matrix cd. Until I got this version, I had no idea that the vocals on the first song were discretely placed in the rears. When I would decode the cd with my Tate, the vocals on She Said would bleed into the front channels. My biggest complaint is the sound of the cymbals on this song. They seem to have been recorded fairly hot originally, but on this version, the distortion of the cymbals in the chorus really seem to stand out (too bad because She Said happens to be my favorite song on the album).

My biggest complaint is the sound of the cymbals on this song. They seem to have been recorded fairly hot originally, but on this version, the distortion of the cymbals in the chorus really seem to stand out (too bad because She Said happens to be my favorite song on the album).

That will be excessive compression in the mastering.
Same as on "Station to Station" - bloody hi-hats all over that one.

Back