Tom Petty-Damn The Torpedoes-Nov 2nd?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Saw Matt at Musictap post today:

"UPDATE: The notice on Friday about a possible Blu-ray Audio disc of Damn The Torpedoes by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers is as it seems, it is a BD-Audio set. WOW! Keep your fingers crossed as I find out more about this, a feature of Blu-ray that we have long been hoping for.

Also note that there was little (other than the BD-Audio news, above and below) to post in the way of upcoming releases. We'll have more on Wednesday...we hope".

Well, does this mean Warner's was happy enough with Mojo's sales?
This is good news if this is really coming out. If anyone else ahs some info on this please add.

peter

Thanks for the info, will be looking out for this one as well. Good question is whether Warner’s is happy with MOJO’s Blu-Ray, BD-AUDIO sales or not. You would think they would be halfway decent at least considering there is a permanent market for Hi-Rez Stereo/Multi-Channel music now with all the systems in homes now and much buzz to support this title.

But it will have to be the Artists like Tom Petty themselves (and small labels) that push for Hi-Rez Stereo/Multi-Channel releases. Artists who do not see this as the way forward will be left in the dust in the long run, by Artists/labels who do and.. You’re not “Future Proofing” your musical art. Mix the Multi-Channel part of the album at the same time you do the Stereo mix to save time/costs. At the very least, Hi-Rez Stereo/Multi-Channel needs to be seen as an “Additional Revenue Stream” by the Major labels as a way to exploit a music title’s release, even if it’s only offered as a “Download” for sale if manufacturing disc costs are an issue at the moment now.

Here is a 90 minute Tom Petty interview stream. Supposedly he talks about mixing DTT in 5.1, Quote:

“Tom, Mike and Benmont answered fans questions during a special 90 minute radio show which aired recently across the Westwood One Network.

Many tracks from Mojo are also featured on the show in addition to the Q+A with the guys.”

http://www.tompetty.com/news/title/mojo-radio-special-now-streaming-on-tompettycom

This MOJO disc is an enigma. WHERE WAS IT SOLD? It would be hard to judge sales when it was never in stores! I never even saw it in a Newbury Comics! Not in Best Buy. Nowhere. Admittedly, there aren't too many stores left that sell music, but I don't think it hit retail at all. Did it?

Except for the internet resellers, was this available anywhere else?

At any rate, GOOD NEWS! I hope it comes out with a decent 5.1 mix. We'll talk about it here, that's for sure. Maybe these legacy releases will get some current artist fired up about surround so the "new folks" can get into it. (ya, right)

Hello. I thought I saw where this is a "Making Of" typre offering. Not a dedicated 5.1 release of D.T.T. Hopefully that will come in time. thanks.

If anyone wants to buy the Mojo Blu ray disc in a store you'll probably have to special order it like I did.

well there is a blu ray of "Damn The Torpedoes the making of" in the "classic album" series...it has no complete songs on it and it is mainly documentary in nature.

So if a 5.1 release of the entire album comes out on blu ray, I can see some people getting confused about it.

This MOJO disc is an enigma. WHERE WAS IT SOLD? It would be hard to judge sales when it was never in stores! I never even saw it in a Newbury Comics! Not in Best Buy. Nowhere. Admittedly, there aren't too many stores left that sell music, but I don't think it hit retail at all. Did it?

I couldn't find one brick and morter store that had it and only a handful of online retailers had it: cduniverse, elusivedisc, HMV, and the Amazons: (.com, .ca, and .co.uk.).

I bought mine at Dimple Records at 16th & Broadway in Sacramento. The building was Tower Records for decades, then Russ Solomon's comeback attempt R5 Records.

I bought mine at 2nd Hand Tunes in Evanston Illinois[had to special order it].

Back on topic, I am keeping my fingers crossed for DTT. Wish there was a poll on how many would buy it that we could show to Mr. Petty. Me - I would buy three of them! Mojo is good, but DTT takes me back to my youth, rockin' out on a friend's Klipsch La Scalas.

"Damn The Torpedos" is one of my favorites in the TP catalog and would welcome a high resolution copy.
I never did purchase the "MOJO" Blu-ray due to the purchase of the CD.
Each time I listened to it, I lost more and more interest, and haven't played it since a few weeks back.
I would welcome the whole TPP catalog in high resolution and wouldn't care if it was in surround or not.
I'm always spinning a disc from "Playback" which actually sounds pretty good for 16/44.1 plus HDCD.

The 2CD set lists at $26.99

I've already pre-ordered through Amazon Canada for $18.99
I got Mojo [Blu-ray] for $15.99 through Amazon Canada.

I'm sure the price will drop between now and release on the US site.

You could always look at some SHM-SACD's from Japan for US$75 without surround!

Mojo is currently $22.99 on Amazon USA, I'm sure Damn The Torpedoes will drop, but the Blu-ray likely contains all the bonus stuff that's on the 2nd CD of the 2CD set as well.

Interesting that they're including a CD this time. It's definitely nicer to get a physical disc, though I would've also been OK if they had simply included a free Apple Lossless download like "Mojo".

Amazon currently lists it as an import release for the US. I wonder if that's true? And if so, what is the country where it's being released as a "regular title", so to speak, "not as an import"?

Hey guys, thanks for listing the prices today.
I just put my order in for amazon.ca as well, I hope thats the right one and price seems pretty fair.
For Canadians ordering from Amazon.ca it seems you have to jump on these preorder prices as I noticed 'Mojo' Bluray was not even available through Amazon.ca after the preorder and prices are around $50's for Mojo now.

peter

Interesting that they're including a CD this time. It's definitely nicer to get a physical disc, though I would've also been OK if they had simply included a free Apple Lossless download like "Mojo".

Amazon currently lists it as an import release for the US. I wonder if that's true? And if so, what is the country where it's being released as a "regular title", so to speak, "not as an import"?

Yes, seeing "import" on the title makes me think the U.S.-version still hasn't been announced yet. This has happened before and usually either means the U.S. release date is later than the import or the U.S. record company has decided to "pass" on the release. I'd hope the reason in this case was the former.

There is no announcement on the Tom Petty web site, so I'm thinking even the import title is not official yet - amazon does that when get a whiff of a pending new release.

Back