New Dolby Atmos BluRay discs from Rhino

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I've only listened to the Hootie disc.
The atmos was fine. Nothing flashy but at least it sounded good and there was a lot of activity all around.
The 5.1 sounded really weird. Something about the vocals in the center speaker. They were too loud and something was missing because they seemed harsh compared to atmos/stereo. It was jarring and sounded nothing like the original CD. I couldn't get past a couple of songs before I had enough and switched back to the Atmos mix.
I think the center channel may be like 12dB too loud or something. The vocals are ridiculously loud because of how loud they are in the center channel.

On the Alanis disc.... "Atmos and Stereo Mixes by Dolby Studios"
Maybe that means it an AI generated mix.
Or maybe there's actually a guy named Dolby Studios.
:D
Weird. Work-for-hire, so the mixer gets no credit?

Chris Fogel, who did the original (and fairly famous) stereo mix, also did some 5.1 work back in the day--although he was more than a little equivocal about it. (His final answer in the interview below implies that he was preparing a 5.1 mix of JLP that was never released, or maybe never got done.) Haven't seen his name connected with anything Atmos.

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/chris-fogel-364945

Last edited:
Hootie and Alanis arrived today! Surprisingly not stolen/lost/damaged considering this is what they shipped in and exactly how the package showed up in my mailbox.

View attachment 104293

Mine came in the same shipping package, but arrived undamaged.

It's weird because I received an HO scale caboose from a fellow on ebay that was well packed; but the postal system must have used it for a Steelers off-season football practice somewhere along the way. The damage was minor and easily fixable, but you've got to wonder what these people do with these things along the way.

Played it twice already and on my new system which is ULTRA REVEALING it really sounds magnifico! Never expected this to sound so ALIVE.

A NON JAGGED BIG THRILL!
Agree. Sounds full and revealing, makes it even more emotionally engaging. And I like how some of the instruments in the Atmos reveal are more pronounced so I can feel the musicians playing them - some are even angry notes!

I love this mix.

Hootie and Alanis arrived today! Surprisingly not stolen/lost/damaged considering this is what they shipped in and exactly how the package showed up in my mailbox.

View attachment 104293

Just for fun, I went ahead and flipped that top lip down, and sealed it shut. Then I opened it and the adhesive held so strong that it ripped the package underneath. Soooo. That tells me it was never sealed at all and it managed to make the trip to my house completely unsealed.

Just for fun, I went ahead and flipped that top lip down, and sealed it shut. Then I opened it and the adhesive held so strong that it ripped the package underneath. Soooo. That tells me it was never sealed at all and it managed to make the trip to my house completely unsealed.
its a weird and wacky world out there ! my package arrived in a big ole plastic bag that I swear had QVC printed on it. 2 discs all nice and loose in there with no padding.............

Last edited:
Just a warning for y'all: Be prepared to be absolutely blasted with sound with sound when swapping between the Dolby Atmos mix and the 5.1 or stereo mix on the Hootie disc.

The stereo mix is mastered rather loudly for its time (1994) and the 5.1 mix has a little compression on the top, but I don't mean to say that the compression is the problem; it's the loudness.

Given that Atmos needs to be mastered quietly for streaming services, why didn't they just lower the loudness for the 5.1 and stereo masters on the disc? I'm not even talking about a remaster here.

This may seem like a bit of a minor point to some, but this feels rather basic and obvious to me. Plus, a main reason the loudness war took hold is because louder (not necessarily more compressed, mind you) music sounds better upon initial impression. Won't that make the quieter Atmos mixes sound initially less impressive as a result?

Last edited:
Back