2014 Surround Wishlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Hi all.
Since we only have about 2 weeks left of 2013, I thought it would be interesting to post here what we would like released in 5.1 surround for 2014.
I'll also take a look to see what I had on my 2013 wish list to see what I got in 2013 and what is still left to be had. Anyway, here's what I want in 2014:

1) YES. Ok, so we now know that Steven Wilson has digitized multi-tracks for 4 other Yes albums from 1970-1975 (presumably "The Yes Album", "Fragile", "Tales from Topographic Oceans", and "Relayer"), so if we get 2 new Yes remixes next year, my hope is for "The Yes Album" in the Spring and "Relayer" in the fall.

2) GENTLE GIANT. After yesterday's announcement that we will get a Steven Wilson remix of "The Power and the Glory", I'm hoping that next year will see at least one more Gentle Giant 5.1 remix in the fall, either "Octopus" or "In A Glass House".

3) XTC. Looks like we're definitely getting "Drums & Wires" in Spring 2014, but if we get a second release later in the year, I'm not sure which one I'd like them to remix and release next. I have a lot of XTC listening to do in the meantime…

4) KING CRIMSON. Even though "The Road to Red" set was fantastic, I'm disappointed that we did not get any new 5.1 mixes from KC this year. As of November 2013, it looks like they are still working on remixing THRAK, but since the album will celebrate its 20th anniversary next year, I hope Jakko's mix will finally get a release. Also, I'm not sure if Steven Wilson has finished remixing "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair", but I hope those will also get released next year. NO MORE HUGE BOX SETS UNTIL THESE OTHER 5.1 MIXES ARE RELEASED, PLEASE…

5) ELP. We all know that Jakko's mix of "Brain Salad Surgery" will be out in April 2014, and I'm really hoping that "Trilogy" will finally be released in 5.1 as well at that time, but something tells me we will probably end up waiting until Summer/Fall 2014 to get that one, and that's the earliest.

6) JETHRO TULL. "A Passion Play" is expected to be released early next year along with the "Chateau D'Issaster" Tapes, but I'm anxious to see if we will also get a 40th anniversary Collector's Edition release of "Warchild" with new SW mixes next fall as well. I'd much rather get a 5.1 mix of "Minstrel in the Gallery" but chances are we will have to wait until 2015 for that one.

7) RUSH. After 4 5.1 mixes in 2011 and a "2112" mix last year, I'm very disappointed that we did not get any new 5.1 mixes from RUSH this year, so I'm still hoping we will eventually get a 5.1 mix of "Hemispheres", maybe on the new HFPA format. After that, 5.1 mixes of other RUSH albums like "Permanent Waves" and "Caress of Steel" would also be welcome.

8) Other unreleased Universal 5.1 mixes on HFPA. The list is too long to include here, but there are many albums that should be released on this format.

As for my 2013 wish list, only one thing came true on there, which was YES "Close to the Edge", but with that said, I was also very impressed with "Nonsuch" by XTC and "Moondance" by Van Morrison, so let's hope that 2014 will be even better! :)

Last edited:
As for my 2013 wish list, only one thing came true on there, which was YES "Close to the Edge", but with that said, I was also very impressed with "Nonsuch" by XTC and "Moondance" by Van Morrison, so let's hope that 2014 will be even better!
and they keep stuff in a nice $20.00 avg. offer, and not a $50.00 set of repetition. (MD)

+1 on the Yes and XTC stuff. Personally, I'd love to have 90125 in 5.1 :)

I'd like to see the Elton John and Genesis 5.1 catalogues get an airing on Blu Ray, as long as they're done properly. This is from a purely selfish perspective as I missed out on them first time around, although I've picked up a few over recent years.

I'm a massive Trevor Horn fan so would love to see more of his productions make it into 5.1. The Frankie Goes To Hollywood SACD would be a nice re-issue, but personally, I'd die if they released a proper 5.1 mix of 'Welcome To The Pleasuredome". Similarly, anything from Seal's early ZTT years. Malcolm McLaren's 'Duck Rock', anyone? Grace Jones 'Slave to the Rhythm'? ;)

I'm sure Mr Wilson won't disappoint, and it's good to know he's already writing the follow up to 'The Raven...'.

My biggest fear is that the HFPA project carries on its belligerent way, screwing up the potential of Blu Ray based multi-channel audio. So I guess my biggest wish for 2014 is that someone, somewhere finally gets multi-channel on Blu Ray right and that they have access to a substantial and worthwhile catalogue.

There is so much I'd love to hear in 5.1 that there isn't enough room to list it all here ;)

Last edited:
I repeat myself:
Never will loose hope on a release of Royal Scam...a dream would come true.
As for Yes I wish it will be Going For The One and Tales.
With XTC I'm really glad that it will be Drums & Wires.
King Crimsons Power To Believe would also be great, but my hope is a little less on this...Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair are welcome :).

New 5.1 mixes from Queen or Pink Floyd would be great also.
I'm sure something from Pink Floyd will come 2014.

And......what is with LED ZEPPELIN?

Everyone's musical tastes differ and while there are certain progressive rock songs/albums I do like, for the most part, I've had my fill of progressive rock in 5.1. I'd like to see more mainstream rock or pop artists.
Yes, Zeppelin would be fantastic!
Anything Beatles or early McCartney and Wings that hasn't been released.
Early Byrds prior to Byrdmaniax.
I'd love to hear something other than Paranoid by Black Sabbath beginning with their very first releases.
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.
A couple of Alice Cooper titles that were never released in quad, Killer (my favorite Alice Cooper album) and School's Out.
Even though there is Credence Gold in quad, I'd love to have the entire early catalog of albums released in surround.
An early career "hits" compilation of Neil Diamond would be great.
Any of the later Doobie Bros. titles that were never released in quad or surround.
The entire Eagles catalog that has never been released in 5.1 would be great.
J. Geils Band - Full House - Even though it's a live album, it's probably one of the greatest live albums ever and it would be fun in surround.
The entire Grand Funk Railroad catalog in 5.1!
Any and all Hendrix releases.
A proper 5.1 mix of Tommy James Best. Always thought the quad mix was a little wacky, but there are some great songs on this release.
Monkees catalog! And Michael Nesmith Loose Salute and Magnetic South in 5.1.
I'd buy the Cat Stevens early catalog in 5.1.
Early Three Dog Night.
Joe Walsh James Gang era.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Who's Next
Whosnext.jpg
Why is the concrete wet?!:yikes ?!

Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus - Spirit
album-twelve-dreams-of-dr-sardonicus.jpg

Abbey Road - Quarrymen
Beatles_-_Abbey_Road.jpg

yeah, i'm second for Ozzy's era Black Sabbath in 5.1 including re-done "Paranoid"
Peter Gabriel's catalog in 5.1 would be nice as well.
from almost forgotten acts would be interesting to hear in surround 2 albums

View attachment 12207

front+cover.jpg

and

View attachment 12206

all 3 will make very potent surround in the right hands.

dr8track hit the nail on the head.

I'd love to see a boxed set of the Eagles '70s albums either remixed or straight dubs of the Quad mixes.
Tommy James would be an amazing new release but I can't see that one happening. Though if possible, a newer Greatest Hits package with songs up to Draggin' the Line and/or Gotta Get back to You.
It would be great to see some proper commercial releases of some old Quad favorites. Pearl, Indian Reservation, They only come out at Night....
Maybe some remixes of Sly Stone's Greatest and new mixes of albums that we never got ("Heard You missed me, well I'm back" or "There's a Riot Goin' On")
Anything Three Dog Night though that one may or may not be impossible. Ditto Grass Roots.

Beatles in proper 5.1 would be great.

How about another attempt at Bat Out of Hell?? Supposedly, safety copies of the proper multitracks were located shortly after the SACD release.

And what about some of the albums that have already been re-mixed for Quad - but never issued.... Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing is my first choice.

And some of the albums that were re-mixed for 5.1 - but never issued..... The early Madonna for instance......

Some more Gentle Giant would be very nice..starting with the first 4 albums please. One other band that I think would be very suitable for surround would be Renaissance.

I'd love to see new albums by Von Hertzen Brothers and Haken coming out with 5.1 mixes!

Obviously Yes and Tull are high on my list, but I would like to hear more Magenta. Rob's mix of The Twenty Seven Club is, imho, one of the best surround releases of 2013.

The first two Blackfield albums would be good and hopefully a possibility since Aviv agreed to IV in 5.1

Also high on my list is some Big Big Train. Greg has expressed what seems to me to be quite a strong desire for this to happen and I know he's keen on the XTC re-releases, no big surprise I guess what with Dave Gregory being in BBT!

The Pineapple Thief would be great in surround too, and I think there's reasonable grounds to beleive that this could happen, given their relationship with Kscope.

It would also be great to see Water's "Amused to Death" get a proper 5.1 release rather than just QSound. I haven't given up hope on this, though I'm not overly optimistic.

...but to be honest, if 2014 is as good for surround released as 2013 has been I don't really mind what we get. :)

Looking forward to the Jethro Tull, Yes and XTC releases for 2014.

Apart from that , the Memories of Machines reissue mentioned by Giancarlo sounds promising too, hopefully he can release this next year.

The Pineapple Thief are working on a new album at the moment. Bruce Soord mentioned that he wants to mix in 5.1, would ne great if the new album will be his first 5.1.

Anathema are also recording a new album. Their last two studio albums were in surround too, so the new one is probably too :)

Andy Partridge recently tweeted about an upcoming CD of "Skylarking" made from the same master that was used to make the vinyl reissue (with the polarity corrected). Hopefully they found the multitrack tapes and *this* will be the 5.1 release after "Drums and Wires"

Chris Squire's 5.1 mix of "Fish Out of Water" still hasn't seen the light of day. Maybe in 2014?

And since Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillo" is coming out on stereo SACD, maybe he'll be motivated to follow Chris' lead and give us a 5.1 mix of that ("OOS", along with Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love" is one of my two most wanted 5.1 releases)

J. D.

How about another attempt at Bat Out of Hell?? Supposedly, safety copies of the proper multitracks were located shortly after the SACD release.

What I would give for a really HQ release of this amazing album! Someone please give us this miracle!!!

Captain Beyond, self titled first album, there was a catalog number for it so maybe it was mixed and still on tape. XTC was my wish last time and that happened and is still happening! Drums And Wires, Skylarking, Black Sea, English Settlement, Mummer, The Big Express and the rest? Fantastic.

What I would give for a really HQ release of this amazing album! Someone please give us this miracle!!!

I like the SACD; much better than the reviews suggest but of course it could be much better. I would LOVE a Blu ray audio of this album!

Back