Another Ambra Blu Ray(Audio and visuals). 7.1 and nice price.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are these Ambra blu-rays? Are they a sort of modern day 'son et lumière'?

Hey Keenly, if I recall correctly, the "Experience" release is just a compilation of tracks culled from the 3 main albums, right?

For those who don't yet know Ambra or Lichtmond, which is the project that the Ambra masterminds did in more recent years, you definitely need to get in on this. I've been plugging these discs all over the forum (sorry to those who get annoyed by it)... Among the best ones I have.

Is the Ambra - Prism Of Life Blu-ray different from the DVDs? I have both DVDs and Lichtmond and I really like the material. I can second the recommendation!

Did some more digging and read the reviews on amazon for the Experience, the Prism of Life Blu Ray and (OH BOY!!) a new Lichtmond Blu Ray that came out two weeks ago (OOOH BOOOOYYYY!!!!).

If you only care about music, I'd say get the "Experience" Blu Ray. It features 3 tracks from the 3 Ambra albums each, which are very good because the albums are very good. Then, 3 tracks from the "Faszination Natur" DVDs, which were recently re-released on Blu Ray in horrible sound and video quality (apparently, they really messed up the mix on the Blu Rays and everything seems to come from the front left). Those 3 are okay. I did some youtubing for those, and I'm not too excited about them.

Then, there are tracks from stuff they were apparently going to release, but it seems like they never did. All that doesn't seem so interesting. Rather uninspired techno/trance stuff. I love trance if done right, but seems like that's not the case here.

The image quality of the "Experience" disc is horrible, and after every clip, there's an advertisement for the actual title. The product page on amazon.de is littered with 1-star reviews.

I'm passing on it, but I think it's a good idea if you want an introduction to Ambra. Sound quality seems to be pretty good.

As for the Prism of Life Blu Ray, from what I understand, it's a remaster and re-mix of the original album (seems to include 5.1 and 7.1 tracks, with the 7.1 being new), and this time it's done right. It includes one Blu Ray with audio and visuals, and one Pure Audio Blu Ray. Audio is DTS-HD MA. Reviews say the sound and image quality are brilliant. I know the album is amazing, so I've put the disc on my (long) to-buy list :)

As for the new Lichtmond... POPPED A BLOOD VESSEL!!! Insta-buy.

Did some more digging and read the reviews on amazon for the Experience, the Prism of Life Blu Ray and (OH BOY!!) a new Lichtmond Blu Ray that came out two weeks ago (OOOH BOOOOYYYY!!!!).

If you only care about music, I'd say get the "Experience" Blu Ray. It features 3 tracks from the 3 Ambra albums each, which are very good because the albums are very good. Then, 3 tracks from the "Faszination Natur" DVDs, which were recently re-released on Blu Ray in horrible sound and video quality (apparently, they really messed up the mix on the Blu Rays and everything seems to come from the front left). Those 3 are okay. I did some youtubing for those, and I'm not too excited about them.

Then, there are tracks from stuff they were apparently going to release, but it seems like they never did. All that doesn't seem so interesting. Rather uninspired techno/trance stuff. I love trance if done right, but seems like that's not the case here.

The image quality of the "Experience" disc is horrible, and after every clip, there's an advertisement for the actual title. The product page on amazon.de is littered with 1-star reviews.

I'm passing on it, but I think it's a good idea if you want an introduction to Ambra. Sound quality seems to be pretty good.

As for the Prism of Life Blu Ray, from what I understand, it's a remaster and re-mix of the original album (seems to include 5.1 and 7.1 tracks, with the 7.1 being new), and this time it's done right. It includes one Blu Ray with audio and visuals, and one Pure Audio Blu Ray. Audio is DTS-HD MA. Reviews say the sound and image quality are brilliant. I know the album is amazing, so I've put the disc on my (long) to-buy list :)

As for the new Lichtmond... POPPED A BLOOD VESSEL!!! Insta-buy.

Maybe the Ambra Blu Ray will not have the songs botched? I will let you know. The Lichtmond one looks great. They are spoiling us with so many options. I do have the other 2 releases and thought the surround mixes could of been a bit more aggressive. I will still purchase this one though. Maybe start a thread for it?

I was actually getting mixed up: I was thinking of forsenses Blu Rays. I have the Lichtmonds in my basket but have not purchased; do you recommend them?

I was actually getting mixed up: I was thinking of forsenses Blu Rays. I have the Lichtmonds in my basket but have not purchased; do you recommend them?

Hey Keenly! Just noticed your additional question. Very, very highly recommend them. The Ambra and Lichtmond albums are criminally overlooked sleepers and standouts in my surround music collection. Mix-wise, I honestly don't think much comes close to them. Music-wise, I'd say youtube it :)

Expect something like Schiller's "Leben", except with even better surround mixes.

EDIT: agreed about the Forsenses. I love the sound, it's rich and full, and I think the music is quite good. Mix-wise, they could have done more, but I do quite like them.

Back