Seeburg Quadraphonic Jukebox

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I've seen pics of a few of these and always wondered what the story was on them. Are the QS 45's you occasionally see on Ebay intended for use in these jukeboxes? I have to assume it was a matrix quad system rather than CD-4. There is no way CD-4 would have worked. Can anyone confirm whether these jukeboxes employed a recognized quad matrix system? Or was it some kind of bogus out of phase stereo that utilized regualr stereo 45's to simulate quad?

Ahoy,

After espying an auction on eBay wherein parts from a 1974 Seeburg jukebox were sold.... a quad-type unit, I e-mailed the successful bidder begging for info.

The wonderful chap snail mailed photocopies of the installation manual and pics of the innards.

Sadly, on that particular model (which the buyer said is typical) the quad decoder is simply the passive out-of-phase recovery system as used by passive decoders that sold for 6 bucks back in the quad days. If memory is working I belive one term used for the OOPS was "Hafler Effect."

The "quadraphonic" aspect of the unit was for marketing purposes only. The bidder told me he had a working quad jukebox in his basement and said that the quad effects were at best, minimal, and were usually unnoticeable.

When I have time I will be adding verbiage from the manual, and pics, on the Web site. Probably sometime in the latter part of December. When I do I will make mention in the off-topic section. The link is on the front page: "obbop's website."

Obbop said:
Ahoy,

After espying an auction on eBay wherein parts from a 1974 Seeburg jukebox were sold.... a quad-type unit, I e-mailed the successful bidder begging for info.

The wonderful chap snail mailed photocopies of the installation manual and pics of the innards.

Sadly, on that particular model (which the buyer said is typical) the quad decoder is simply the passive out-of-phase recovery system as used by passive decoders that sold for 6 bucks back in the quad days. If memory is working I belive one term used for the OOPS was "Hafler Effect."

The "quadraphonic" aspect of the unit was for marketing purposes only. The bidder told me he had a working quad jukebox in his basement and said that the quad effects were at best, minimal, and were usually unnoticeable.

When I have time I will be adding verbiage from the manual, and pics, on the Web site. Probably sometime in the latter part of December. When I do I will make mention in the off-topic section. The link is on the front page: "obbop's website."

I suspected that might be the case. I saw one of the Seeburg Quad Jukeboxes for sale a few years back on Ebay. There is another non-working one up for auction now. I think it's in Missouri. From a quad collector's standpoint, I love the idea of potentially having a quad jukebox, but it doesn't sound like this would be technology worth shipping half way across the country.

Somebody handy with a soldering iron and a volt/ohm meter could probably hook up a decent name brand decoder inside any jukebox and make it have quad output.

As for a jukebox with quad markings on it as placed by the manufacturer if one can afford it it may make for an interesting collectable... and, with th aforementioned addition of a quality decoder to improve performance it would make a nifty keen addition to the rumpus room.

I'd have to hit the lottery for a few million before I considered doing such a thing..... if even then.

But, if somebody ever starts a quadraphonic museum somewhere..... doubtful..... it would be a neat addition.

Obbop said:
Somebody handy with a soldering iron and a volt/ohm meter could probably hook up a decent name brand decoder inside any jukebox and make it have quad output.

better still, place inside a car cd changer with a control board, a dts decoder and you can have a digital quad juke.

As for a jukebox with quad markings on it as placed by the manufacturer if one can afford it it may make for an interesting collectable... and, with th aforementioned addition of a quality decoder to improve performance it would make a nifty keen addition to the rumpus room.

this seebug model, sqs160, was different for its stereo counterpart only for the top glass with the quadraphonic lettering, and the passive decoder. The 2-pair of speakers were available separately for any seebug of this era.
To be clear, the decoder needed to be connected to the stereo power-out of the amplifier, it showed out a couple of year ago in ebay.

Hey guys,
I have one of these jukeboxes. They are a bit of a pain, with keeping it alive, determined by your electronics workbench knowledge. The decoder is passive. I used one that was put out by a company called Chase Technologies. The company ended up in the hands of our first rep for Millennium. Bob Rappaport was the fellows name, could sweet talk Saddamm to tell the truth. Not that Bob did. Anyway it is a 5 channel passive system that works, kinda, like all passive systems. He gave it to me, no idea of what they cost, but ebay would have one every once in a while and probably dirt cheap. The item id HTS-1. It did win some honors at the 1994 Innovations engineering show. The jukebox is fun if ya have the matrix dics to stuff it. I have a lot of material about them if anyone is interested.
[email protected] for a while longer
Tad

Back