Heavy Metal

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

darioguerrera

three things I would like to say

1.Read on an Italian website that Dance of Death will be released in 5.1 mix (Dance of Death being the new Iron Maiden album)

2.I find it so sad that most of the stuff on dvd-audio is for the babyboomers and nothing for people my age 20-30

3.I heard that one of the best selling dvd-audio is metallica (blak album), I can't help but think that the people in charge at the record companies are clueless

I pretty much agree. However, DTS Entertainment is releasing Megadeth's "Peace Sells" in 5.1 in just a couple of weeks.

As for point number two, it's a simple matter of market economics. Baby boomers simply have the most disposable income to spend on surround-sound gear and software. Still, I feel your pain. I'm caught in the middle myself... too young to be a boomer and too old to be gen x'er... Still, I would prefer more new titles on DVD-A rather than rehashes of stuff I've already heard a million times or releases by bands that were big 20+ years ago. There are some releases by newer bands available, but not nearly enough.

darioguerrera said:
3.I heard that one of the best selling dvd-audio is metallica (blak album), I can't help but think that the people in charge at the record companies are clueless

I do hear you...

Things are changing. Until now, heavy-metal (or hard rock) releases on DVD-A were confined to Metallica (Black Album), Queensrÿche (Empire), Deep Purple (Machine Head), Alice Cooper (Billion Dollars Babies and Welcome To My Nightmare). And I agree some of them are not really from the last years !

Now, we have more and more new releases in hard rock that comes on DVD-A : Disturbed, Staind, Queensrÿche (new album Tribe), Metallica (new album St Anger even if it sucks as hell), Linkin Park...

You may not like all these bands but I do feel a change here.

I am not sure if the new Iron Maiden (I'll be able to listen to an advance copy this we btw) will really be issued in 5.1. I know that the single will be released on a single DVD with a 5.1 mix, but I guess this will be either a DD or DTS mix.

YmSeb said:

I am not sure if the new Iron Maiden (I'll be able to listen to an advance copy this we btw) will really be issued in 5.1. I know that the single will be released on a single DVD with a 5.1 mix, but I guess this will be either a DD or DTS mix.

Supposedly they were mixing the entire album for 5.1, which means SACD since they are on Sony.

{MODERATOR NOTE: I replaced a strong word I also use, but not in public forums - Timbre4}

Oooops I'm deeply sorry - I did not even think about the fact this word could be offensive.

While we were at the subject, I had a chance to listen several times to the next Iron maiden album, and it's everything but a success.

All I can say is that they parody themselves. After a strong Brave New World, they tried to do once again progressive and ambitious things, but the album sounds so cliché and so boring... You'll hear by yourselves in September. :mad:@:

So I'm not upset anymore at all that it won't be out on DVD-A... :eek:

Last edited:
Understand that much of this DVD-A/SACD battle is political (royalty payments) as it is technical capabilities or performance.

I have less concern for the format than clueless or very conservative mixing; that is to say half-blown efforts in a full-blown soundfield of possibilities...

darioguerrera said:
three things I would like to say

1.Read on an Italian website that Dance of Death will be released in 5.1 mix (Dance of Death being the new Iron Maiden album)

2.I find it so sad that most of the stuff on dvd-audio is for the babyboomers and nothing for people my age 20-30

It seems that the Iron Maiden release is confirmed by EMI on a 8 september european release date.

http://www.euphoricsounds.com/store/erol.html

Frank

Motorhead's "Overkill" is out on Silverline. I saw it in the store yesterday. How is it then that Circuit City keeps sending me messages that this disc is on backorder with no firm release date? :mad:

I know, I always order with cduniverse 'cause the other websites are too slow & uninformed
I received Bruce Dickinson's Balls to Picasso... AMAZING MIX
I also got Staind (a little too much mainstream but I bought cause I wanna help metal get on dvd-audio)
I ordered Motorhead's Overkill & Geoff Tate's solo album and tomorrow will go pick-up my Dance of Death

What would be your wishlist?

mine is:
Overkill - From "Feel the Fire" to "Killbox 13"

darioguerrera said:
I also got Staind (a little too much mainstream but I bought cause I wanna help metal get on dvd-audio)

I also bought Staind, and no problem it' s a good one. Of course, this isn't a very complex layered album, so just like the Disturbed ("Believe") album, the mix is OK but cannot do miracles.

But anyway with DVD-A you can always enjoy the advanced resolution, and the sound and production of the Staind album is so good that it's definitely a high pleasure.

darioguerrera said:
What would be your wishlist?

Albums having a lot of layers and tracks, like classics such as 7th Son of a 7th Son from Iron Maiden, Master Of Puppets from Metallica, Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime... that would be a good start.

Almost all the Led Zeppelin albums are screaming for multi-channels mix, Jimmy Page was such a brilliant and ahead of his time producer.

Dance of Death -Iron Maiden EMI UK

North American release date on DVD-Audio now confirmed by EMI for March 30th.

"Almost all the Led Zeppelin albums are screaming for multi-channels mix, Jimmy Page was such a brilliant and ahead of his time producer."

I heard a rumour the other day that Jimmy has completed work on the first one, is into other ones and working towards a huge exercise on Physical Graffiti - we're probably looking at a first batch of titles around September - of course this is another very tenuous rumour, but it does come from somone "in the know".

Of course if you love metal, you couldn't fail to love the exemplary Porcupine Tree disc - out next week folks - MASSIVE riffs ahoy!

Any owner comments on Iron Maiden's 'Dance Of Death' DVD-A.

Sonics. Mix etc.

I saw a copy today.

Any owner comments on Iron Maiden's 'Dance Of Death' DVD-A.

Sonics. Mix etc.

I saw a copy today.

I bought it because I'm a Maiden fan - have been since the Killers came out.

Paschendale and Rainmaker are among the new Maiden songs that could stand alongside (well, somewhat a few steps back from) Hallowed, NotB and the other early classics.

as for the DVD-A - *sigh* disappointing on so many levels :(

IMVHO the sonics are muffled, mix isn't the best, and most of all I'm disappointed for Maiden. Do you see the DVD-A mentioned anywhere in their discog? I guess that killed any chance of Powerslave in 5.1

I don't have many poor DVD-As - there aren't that many* in the first place, I imagine, and unfortunately Dance of Death is one. (n)

* I stayed out of the whole early Silverline releases...

edit: I'm not really impressed with the sonics on the Matter of Life and Death CD either - seems to me they have lost some top end shimmer compared to say, Powerslave

I like Corrosion of Conformity "America's Volume Dealer" and Disturbed "Believe" and both were affordable the last time I checked, I bought both several years ago. It appears to me that Sanctuary actually gave Silverline something to work with for the CoC release and Warner did their usual good job with the Disturbed DVD-A.

Chris

Back