Dredg: El Cielo 5.1 SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Surprised no one (Guy R in particular) beat me to this.

Dredg is what some might call "pretentious" music (my favourite!). It's kind of like Tool meets Radiohead meets Pink Floyd.This is their first major label release. The 5.1 mix is pretty good, with some dramatic use of the rears ( one part had me turning to see who came in the house! Scared the crap out of me!). Lots of time signature changes and lots of atmospheric guitar work.

Thanks to Guy R for the recommendation!

daved64 said:
Surprised no one (Guy R in particular) beat me to this.

Dredg is what some might call "pretentious" music (my favourite!). It's kind of like Tool meets Radiohead meets Pink Floyd.This is their first major label release. The 5.1 mix is pretty good, with some dramatic use of the rears ( one part had me turning to see who came in the house! Scared the crap out of me!). Lots of time signature changes and lots of atmospheric guitar work.

Thanks to Guy R for the recommendation!

You are welcome Dave. Have to look into that Big Star SACD you were mentioning this morning.

This album is by far the best multi-channel album, I've ever heard. Pink Floyd is my favorite band and Dark Side is better musically, but as far as multi-channel music goes Dredg takes the cake with this release. I had to look all over to find it though. I would up on a site called deepdiscountcd.com and I ended up getting it for like $13 with free shipping. Internet ROCKS! lol
Dredg did have one other album that was released on a major record label before "El Cielo". The album was "Lietmotif". It is a little heavier and there are a lot less vocals (unfortunately). But it was never released on anything other than cd.
Later,
Ryan

Nova74 said:
This album is by far the best multi-channel album, I've ever heard. Pink Floyd is my favorite band and Dark Side is better musically, but as far as multi-channel music goes Dredg takes the cake with this release. I had to look all over to find it though. I would up on a site called deepdiscountcd.com and I ended up getting it for like $13 with free shipping. Internet ROCKS! lol
Dredg did have one other album that was released on a major record label before "El Cielo". The album was "Lietmotif". It is a little heavier and there are a lot less vocals (unfortunately). But it was never released on anything other than cd.
Later,
Ryan

Hmm, I haven't heard this Surround SACD. But I have seen it at the local Tower Records stores. It's part of the $14.99 SACD and DVD-A sale of the Universal Music hi rez discs now underway there.

I guess I'll have to check it out!

I bought this SACD recently (after having discovered El Cielo on CD), and I must say this is one of the best SACD's I've heard !

I was very surprised to see how good the discrete 5.1 mix is.

Actually, this is another example how you can fall in love with an album, although you wouldn't have with the stereo version.

There are so many details that were burried in the stereo mix... Damn, this is real good news to see such talented bands being able to release extremely nice discrete mix.

I hope to see soon a poll about that one because it does deserve it ;)

FYI the new Dredg should be out in April but I don't know yet if they'll have it on SACD again. I DO hope :D

YmSeb said:
I bought this SACD recently (after having discovered El Cielo on CD), and I must say this is one of the best SACD's I've heard !

I was very surprised to see how good the discrete 5.1 mix is.

Actually, this is another example how you can fall in love with an album, although you wouldn't have with the stereo version.

There are so many details that were burried in the stereo mix... Damn, this is real good news to see such talented bands being able to release extremely nice discrete mix.

I hope to see soon a poll about that one because it does deserve it ;)

FYI the new Dredg should be out in April but I don't know yet if they'll have it on SACD again. I DO hope :D
It's one of my faves. WHO DID THE MIX?????? It doesn't say! They are damn good though. Sounds like Scheiner's work.

daved64 said:
It's one of my faves. WHO DID THE MIX?????? It doesn't say! They are damn good though. Sounds like Scheiner's work.

Yeah, big shame it isn't indicated.

I've noticed it's too often the case on SACD's, especially when it's a reissue (quick examples : Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic, Godsmack's The Other Side...).

Too bad since it would be easier for us to see who is good and who isn't. Scheiner is obviously a God, but I don't have other obvious names to quote (well, there is John Kellogg too, but he's more of a producer).

Anyway, most of the best 5.1 mixes are the ones where the artist/band was strongly involved in (to name a few, Porcupine Tree, Peter Gabriel, etc.).

YmSeb said:
Yeah, big shame it isn't indicated.

I've noticed it's too often the case on SACD's, especially when it's a reissue (quick examples : Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic, Godsmack's The Other Side...).

Too bad since it would be easier for us to see who is good and who isn't. Scheiner is obviously a God, but I don't have other obvious names to quote (well, there is John Kellogg too, but he's more of a producer).

Anyway, most of the best 5.1 mixes are the ones where the artist/band was strongly involved in (to name a few, Porcupine Tree, Peter Gabriel, etc.).
Well, Frank Fillpetti (Polyphonic Spree) and Nathaniel Kunkel (Graham Nash's Songs For Survivors) are also masters of 5.1
Greg Penny (EJ) is great (too bad he does his own mastering!)

Toys was done by Jack Douglas, although I had to read Sound and Vision to really discover that. I think it only says "produced by". Guthrie and Sax mastered it.

Back