• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

(1971-10) Quad Issue - Audio mag.

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

par4ken

500 Club - QQ All-Star

I was searching for more about the Astrocom 307 and found this special Quad issue.

Kirk Bayne
I wasn't a reader of "Audio" until several years later. I almost forgot that all the buzz about Quad really started that early on, I remember all the Electronics Magazines from 1972 contained at least one article about Quad though. Ah, those were the days!!

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I wasn't a reader of "Audio" until several years later. I almost forgot that all the buzz about Quad really started that early on, I remember all the Electronics Magazines from 1972 contained at least one article about Quad though. Ah, those were the days!!
Around that time in the UK quite a few hobbyist Electronics magazines had Quad projects to build, Practical Electronics had a complete Quad amp project if I remember rightly, so '71-'72 I was 14-15 and avidly bought and kept them. I wish my parents hadn't chucked all my magazines out when I was at Uni a few years later :(, I only had enough space in my Dad's car for the Wireless World ones when he took me there

par4ken

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Around that time in the UK quite a few hobbyist Electronics magazines had Quad projects to build, Practical Electronics had a complete Quad amp project if I remember rightly, so '71-'72 I was 14-15 and avidly bought and kept them. I wish my parents hadn't chucked all my magazines out when I was at Uni a few years later :(, I only had enough space in my Dad's car for the Wireless World ones when he took me there
We are the same age then, I did manage to keep most of my magazines. You can find downloads of a lot of them, Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics and Audio. One good one that I no longer have nor can find was a Canadian Magazine called Electron.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Yes Duncan, you do, 'twas the PE Rondo:
View attachment 46493
I remember the cover! I suspect I based my design of simple Motorola IC SQ decoder (non-logic) around the PE one. I did look at quite a few circuits before I built it in my 2nd year at Uni (77-78) - the 'fun' of marking out and etching my own PCB. My father had given me his old stereo amp & speakers and along with my stereo suddenly I had Quadraphonics - first SQ LP I played was Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here". Happy Days :51QQ, and I even had hair then, lots of it, right the way down my back (which is the only place it now grows :ROFLMAO: )!

Group builder