• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

(1973) Quadrasonic Sound: A Status Report (Billboard August 4th)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

humprof

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Kirk's (@kfbkfb's) thread from earlier today reminded me of a tab I've had open in my browser for months--something I stumbled upon when I was searching for info about Black Jazz--specifically, whether the label's earliest titles ever got quad releases.

I'd be surprised if this issue of Billboard hasn't been cited on QQ before, though I couldn't find it with a quick search. It contains a 22-page insert--"Quadrasonic Sound: A Status Report"--with articles on universal decoders, quad for the car, "quaducating" producers, and quad's impact on mixing studios, as well as fascinating profiles of Hugo Montenegro, Pierre Boulez & the New York Phil, and Dick Schory. (How many of those "500 masters" of orchestral works that Schory licensed for quad mixes were ever released, I wonder?) Needless to say, some great ads, too. It's a real trove. Other quad-related news on p. 1, as well as reviews (Buddy Miles, Judy Collins) on p. 12.

Last edited:

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
We're close to quad p*rn territory, but have a look at the album chart, p. 78 of the pdf: if i counted right, there are 45 album that had a quad release.

Sonik Wiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Kirk's (@kfbkfb's) thread from earlier today reminded me of a tab I've had open in my browser for months--something I stumbled upon when I was searching for info about Black Jazz--specifically, whether the label's earliest titles ever got quad releases.

I'd be surprised if this issue of Billboard hasn't been cited on QQ before, though I couldn't find it with a quick search. It contains a 22-page insert with articles on universal decoders, quad for the car, "quaducating" producers, and quad's impact on mixing studios, as well as fascinating profiles of Hugo Montenegro, Pierre Boulez & the New York Phil, and Dick Schory. (How many of those "500 masters" of orchestral works that Schory licensed for quad mixes were ever released, I wonder?) Needless to say, some great ads, too. Other quad-related news on p. 1, as well as reviews (Buddy Miles, Judy Collins) on p. 12.

Damn that whole issue looks like great reading. I will have to get another cuppa & come back for more. And I believe it is the furthest back the nick name "Quadfather" was used. But it was Hugo Montenegro!

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
That is a good read in Billboard alright.

FWIW I just finished leafing through Billboards from 1972 -1976 and there are a number of quadraphonic (quadrasonic as per billboard) articles and mentions throughout the main quad years.
Took me a long time , btw. ! but I kept a reference record of relevant quad items, such as never released etc.

And every summer Billboard had a special quad related issue.

Try ;

May 11 1974 , pages 3 Best of Diana Ross pending fr Motown.

May 4 1974 , pg 120 Ozark Mtn Daredevils first album in Q8 ? NR.
also same pg New Riders Of The Purple Sage -Home Home On The Road ..a NR in Q8, QLP. And ones we know of that were never released , Tom Scott L A Express , Capt Beefheart and the soundtrack to Sunshine on MCA . (QLP Q8).

May 04 1974 re heading titled on page 42 : All Threshold Into 4 Channel
" all future Threshold releases will be in quad "

June 06 74

Pages 1 and 6....JVC Cutting Centre

Cutting CD-4 test pressings of Jerry Lee Lewis plus a number of pressings from artists on various lebels such as ABC/Dunhill , Impulse , A&M , and Phonogram .
10 CD-4 Test recordings for various labels , uncommitted to CD-4 or quad.

June 29 1974 page 78/80

London Records cut in CD-4 in L.A. (3 albums), Zubin Mehta L A Phil features , Strauss Die Fledermauss and Wagner by Reinzi , Weber , Die Freischutz and selections from cellist Kurt Reher , Mariage Of Figaro , Mozart and Rossini la gala la Dra.

August 10 1974. Quad Feature.page 35.

August 04 ,1973. Quad Features pages 33-55.

Sept 28 1974...Eddie Kramer w/Bowie and Visconti present .....mixes David Bowie Live at Electric Ladyland Studios.

June 10th 73 page 32/35,
Neil Young new album (Time Fades Away) to be released in Nov 73 with WEA upcoming product (second batch of quadradiscs fr Warner)

Oct 26 74, page 68 :

DSR Production.....Live QS from a number of artists ELO, FOGHAT , POCO, STEVE MILLER, RORY GALLAGHER, BOZ SCAGGS.
DSR principles are one half of CCR , Doug Clifford , Stu Cook , (and Ross Gary).
program titled "On Tour " syndication to 150 FM stations.

Dec 14 1974, page 27

Tim Weisberg's album titled 4 Album played in a quadraphonic Demo by A&M records

June 7th 75 page 47

Dealer Demo Quads

Polydor "Tommy " featured song in QS is "Acid Queen " and previously a large QS Sansui "Tommy" advert can be found on page 51 in March 15 1975.

And Again ..... in Jan 03 1976 page 52

Features in QS , Brubeck/Desmond "Blue Dove" in Dealer Demo Quads .

In April 10 1976 page 59 , Dealer Demo Quads features

Alice Coltrane "Morning Worship " a QS on Warner Bros. BS 2916.

And Neil Diamond -Beautiful Noise in quad listings July 10 76 page 70 , and this quad listing carries on for a few weeks yet.

That's just some of the quad notables I have come up with by perusing those Billboard pages.
Most are noteworthy I think anyways.

Fizzy. :)

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
And every summer Billboard had a special quad related issue.
May 11 1974 , pages 3 Best of Diana Ross pending fr Motown.
It should be the Diana Ross & The Supremes Greatest Hits, released in Japan in 1975

Any other Motown quad reference found? USA had only two Q8 releases...

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
It should be the Diana Ross & The Supremes Greatest Hits, released in Japan in 1975

Any other Motown quad reference found? USA had only two Q8 releases...

That's probably the album, but
According to that article....I do think they meant a U. S. quad album , or Q8.

No, no more from Motown, but Charles Earland had his latest album mixed in quad at Village Recorders L A in june 73 (Leaving This Planet , on Prestige..... I'm guessing).

FWIW there may have been more Motown quads mixed ......but not mentioned as it was up to the labels to notify Billboard , so if no one turned in that quad mixing news , then only the label and their engineers would know.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Oh and I was not too clear about that quad album by Tim Weisberg....

Tim Weisberg - Tim Weisberg 4. A &M QU -3658 should be the quad mixed NR album btw.(1974)

Group builder