2013 Acura's still have DVD-Audio playback!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
They are getting more expensive, that's for sure, but they still have the ELS Surround system in the Tech Package with DVD-Audio 5.1 HiRez playback along with DTS, iPod, Pandora, and a bunch of other stuff.

The first 2013 is the RDX which is redesigned from last year.

They are getting more expensive, that's for sure, but they still have the ELS Surround system in the Tech Package with DVD-Audio 5.1 HiRez playback along with DTS, iPod, Pandora, and a bunch of other stuff.

The first 2013 is the RDX which is redesigned from last year.

Fantastic! I've got a 2009 TL and would like to hold onto it for a few more years, but if they were discontinuing the DVD-A support I would strongly consider trading in for a 2012. This buys me another year.

Just got my 2012 TL/SH AWD/Tech/ELS surround
AWESOME!
10 speakers/410 Watts; crystal clear DVD/A

Just got my 2012 TL/SH AWD/Tech/ELS surround
AWESOME!
10 speakers/410 Watts; crystal clear DVD/A

Congratulations on getting the car. The DVD-A experience in the car is truly ear-opening. Hope you can get a lot of discs to feed it!

I understand from my salesman at the dealer that the new RDX will not handle exactly like the old RDX but more like a TL - more spongy and not as stiff as the current RDX (which I actually like). Can't wait to take it for a test drive though. I may be headed back to the TL. I miss driving a car instead of an SUV type vehicle.

I have at least 30-40 DVD/A's, & DTS discs, that I've collected since 2003
as we speak, my buddy is burning me a DVD/A, of Quadrophenia
Can't wait!

1. I Am The Sea (5.1 surround-sound mix)
2. The Real Me (5.1 surround-sound mix)
3. Quadrophenia (5.1 surround-sound mix)
4. I've Had Enough (5.1 surround-sound mix)
5. 5.15 (5.1 surround-sound mix)
6. Dr Jimmy (5.1 surround-sound mix)
7. The Rock (5.1 surround-sound mix)
8. Love Reign O'er Me (5.1 surround-sound mix)

I was looking at getting an Acura.
Question, is there any other way to get multi-channel audio into the sound system besides DVD-A or optical disc? It would seem a shame in 2012 to not have some USB option for PCM or FLAC or even MP3 to make it more future-proof.

I was looking at getting an Acura.
Question, is there any other way to get multi-channel audio into the sound system besides DVD-A or optical disc? It would seem a shame in 2012 to not have some USB option for PCM or FLAC or even MP3 to make it more future-proof.

I tried and my results were FAIL. I tried to copy a DTS file to the internal hard drive with the same result. I also tried putting DTS encoded wav files on a USB stick and nothing. The decoder circuitry is obviously only in the path of the optical disc audio, and not the other audio.

One very cool surround non-related thing that I enjoyed this weekend in the car: I went to a local Drive-In Theater (remember those) to see "The Avengers". They now send the audio via FM signals, no more speakers on the window (you have to be old to get that). Well, the Acura did a great job with the Dolby Logic decoding. It was very impressive for a Drive-In experience.

I tried and my results were FAIL. I tried to copy a DTS file to the internal hard drive with the same result. I also tried putting DTS encoded wav files on a USB stick and nothing. The decoder circuitry is obviously only in the path of the optical disc audio, and not the other audio.

One very cool surround non-related thing that I enjoyed this weekend in the car: I went to a local Drive-In Theater (remember those) to see "The Avengers". They now send the audio via FM signals, no more speakers on the window (you have to be old to get that). Well, the Acura did a great job with the Dolby Logic decoding. It was very impressive for a Drive-In experience.

That's unfortunate news. Acura may have lost a customer over that short-sightedness. Perhaps we could appeal to ES and have him talk to Acura for the future models.

Wow. I am surprised there are any Drive-Ins left, especially in your climate challenged neck of the woods. I haven't been to one since the 70's
Last time I saw a working theater I was driving down NJ Turnpike, look over to see a screen playing "Texas Chain Saw Massacre", disturbing to see in traffic. :yikes

Jon, that is very cool feature to be able to use the car speakers at the Drive-in. I haven't been to a drive-in theater in prob. 30 years.

peter

Back