2021 Year Of "The Sea Shanty?"

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
OK you Quad lovelies, I see this is the year of "The Sea Shanty" (gotta love it!)

So, are there any Surround Sea Shanties titles (or even great non-surround) you like?

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
OK you Quad lovelies, I see this is the year of "The Sea Shanty" (gotta love it!)

So, are there any Surround Sea Shanties titles (or even great non-surround) you like?

As a matter of fact: yes! (But not in surround, unfortunately.) Rogue's Gallery (2006) and Son of Rogue's Gallery (2013), both produced by the brilliant, late lamented Hal Willner--with help from Johnny Depp & Gore Verbinski.

Marplot

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Check out Alestorm also. They have been at it a few years and if you can't laugh at f'ed by an anchor ...

oh, safe to say NSFW

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
As a matter of fact: yes! (But not in surround, unfortunately.) Rogue's Gallery (2006) and Son of Rogue's Gallery (2013), both produced by the brilliant, late lamented Hal Willner--with help from Johnny Depp & Gore Verbinski.

I'm thinking it would be cool for a Sea Shanty session in surround similar to this "Cowboy Junkies" title with say; a Guitar, an Accordion, a Dulcimer, Harp, Banjo, Bass etc., except not in Ambisonic, i.e. "more discrete."

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
One of my very favorite 'nautical' albums from 1972 originally on the Elektra Label

Originally released on RCA LIVING STEREO SERIES

See the source image

SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Last edited:

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Well I did a search on discogs last night with the words Sea Shanty /with an additional filter for "Multichannel" under format and came up with this Rob Reed & Neil Wilkes title (which I'd never heard of) so got an order in for one.

Also searched for Sea Shanties and found one Quad. LP in SQ under format also :)

And this live BD that looks interesting also...

ubertrout

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Say it three times fast: Shaw Sings Sea Shanties by the Sea Shore.

I don't think this one ever got a 3-channel SACD release, did it?
I know Analogue Productions has been redoing a lot of the Living Stereo releases. Perhaps 2021 will be the year of the SAC(D) shanty?

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
I know Analogue Productions has been redoing a lot of the Living Stereo releases. Perhaps 2021 will be the year of the SAC(D) shanty?
AP is woefully behind release of their Living Stereo 2/3 channel SACD series, ubertrout. Titles announced YEARS AGO have yet to be released and are currently listed by Acoustic Sounds as PRE~ORDERS.