360RA decoding via hardware - McIntosh and other MPEG-H ready receivers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few clues here: Sony Corporation - 360Reality Audio | Developer site

Note the following statement: "Chromecast built-in™ Supports playback of 360 Reality Audio content."

I use my Chromecast HDMI to stream Atmos from tablet to receiver (well... to be more precise, to initiate the stream to the "sink"), no issues whatsoever. I would expect that 360 will do exactly the same. Bitstream to CC, CC bitstream to HDMI, HDMI via I2C to the decoder chip. Done.

In fact, as long as CC can bitstream, and it obviously can, what is encapsulated inside of that bitstream is irrelevant as far as CC is concerned. Plus, what is encapsulated is a MPEG-H bitstream, so not exactly a mystery or something specific to 360RA.

Regarding speakers, both the layout and the number, keep in mind that 360RA is purely object based. Not channel based. Atmos has objects, but it has the "bed" too (which directly mapps to pre-defined specific speakers in specific layaout), so any speakers "missing" in the default bed layout will need to be downmixed. Which implies loss of spatiality, and therefore a "recommended" minimum speakers configuration for half-serious listening. (NB. using the "bed" is not mandatory, but 95% of the content in Atmos does use it, for various reasons). Not so in 360RA, as EVERYTHING is an object and can be mapped (almost) anywhere, even if that "mapping" ends up to be a "phantom" speaker. Which is where spherical nature of the system comes to play...

The object coordinated/positioning in 360 is purely angular (spherical latitude/longitude vs rectangular in Atmos). So while Atmos recommended layout may not be 100% ideal for the reproduction on consumer side, it will work just fine - as long as the 360 decoder is aware of the layout. For instance, textbook 5.0.4 Atmos speaker layout will give you perhaps 95% of spatial perception of textbook 5.0.5 360RA layout - sans the bottom row 3. So you loose maybe 10-20 percent of front wall dimension/impact/depth which is maybe regrettable if you are an enthusiast, but not a deal breaker. "According to me" ™

Setup required or desired for producing audio in 360RA is not what is required or even in most cases desirable, for the consumer. Even for production studio certification, Sony is happy with 5.0.5 plus 3 on front bottom (so speakers 13 total). Which is not exactly unheard of number of speakers. Even first order Ambisonic sphere requires 16. In fact, 360RA is strongly influenced by elements of Ambisonic system/design/principles, and I dont think that the fact that Ambisonic is supported in MPEG-H and the fact that 360RA is using MPEG-H encoding is a coincidence. We may see some more developments in this area soon-ish, just dont tell anyone :)

Decoder info last updated June 2022 so I would expect them incoming: https://www.analog.com/media/en/dsp-documentation/certificates/decoder-certification-final.pdf

Regarding speakers, both the layout and the number, keep in mind that 360RA is purely object based. Not channel based. Atmos has objects, but it has the "bed" too (which directly mapps to pre-defined specific speakers in specific layaout), so any speakers "missing" in the default bed layout will need to be downmixed. Which implies loss of spatiality, and therefore a "recommended" minimum speakers configuration for half-serious listening. (NB. using the "bed" is not mandatory, but 95% of the content in Atmos does use it, for various reasons). Not so in 360RA, as EVERYTHING is an object and can be mapped (almost) anywhere, even if that "mapping" ends up to be a "phantom" speaker. Which is where spherical nature of the system comes to play...

Downloaded 360RA files from Tidal have a 7.1 bed.

I'm not an expert.

But what I understood is that 'bed' channels are used to 'tie' sounds to a particular speaker. This way, bed channels are not referred to floor level speakers but to whatever speaker either floor or height.

'Object' sounds not tied to a 'bed' channel are rendered to the available speakers using the location on metadata.

So, this should not be confused with the MCH file used for delivering either 7.1 TrueHD for Atmos or the 7.1.4 (12 channels) used for MPEG-H 3D for 360RA.

If I'm not exactly right, please correct me.

And also to be noted that even 360RA is delivered in a 7.1.4 mch file, the 360RA mix doest not use the .1 LFE channel. I don't know it it is by design, or the way the 360 encoders work, or a recommendation to the mixers.

So the only bed channel stated sometimes for Atmos (the LFE channel) is not even used for 360RA.

And also to be noted that even 360RA is delivered in a 7.1.4 mch file, the 360RA mix doest not use the .1 LFE channel. I don't know it it is by design, or the way the 360 encoders work, or a recommendation to the mixers.

So the only bed channel stated sometimes for Atmos (the LFE channel) is not even used for 360RA.
Subwoofer is present in the MPEG-H test files from Fraunhofer. This is from the "All Directions" test
1674148282259.png

Subwoofer is present in the MPEG-H test files from Fraunhofer. This is from the "All Directions" test
View attachment 87594

Subwoofer is not the same as the LFE channel.

LFE Channel is played by a Subwoofer (or several).
Bass management (bass under the crossover on 'small' speakers) is played by the Subwoofer(s) speakers, and is added to the LFE channel (if exists and not null).

It looks that 360 RA does not use the LFE Channel. Wich is very good for music. There is a debate on whether use or not LFE, and the problems of a delayed LFE signal.

It is better to concentrate the Bass on main channels (Fronts for example). And let the Full Band speakers or the AVR Bass Management (with Subwoofer) do the job. 360 Reality Audio seem to have come to that conclusion.

From Immersive Audio Hub - Genelec.com

1674149094029.png

I'm not an expert.

But what I understood is that 'bed' channels are used to 'tie' sounds to a particular speaker. This way, bed channels are not referred to floor level speakers but to whatever speaker either floor or height.

'Object' sounds not tied to a 'bed' channel are rendered to the available speakers using the location on metadata.

So, this should not be confused with the MCH file used for delivering either 7.1 TrueHD for Atmos or the 7.1.4 (12 channels) used for MPEG-H 3D for 360RA.

If I'm not exactly right, please correct me.

I’m not an expert either, I just know enough to be dangerous. Another strange thing about the 360 files from Tidal/Deezer, is 4 height channels appear to be mapped as well, but there is also mention of 10 objects.

Attachments

• E3B54CAE-2E83-4E91-A8BF-FE03765A39B0.png
    E3B54CAE-2E83-4E91-A8BF-FE03765A39B0.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Subwoofer is not the same as the LFE channel.

LFE Channel is played by a Subwoofer (or several).
Bass management (bass under the crossover on 'small' speakers) is played by the Subwoofer(s) speakers, and is added to the LFE channel (if exists and not null).

It looks that 360 RA does not use the LFE Channel. Wich is very good for music. There is a debate on whether use or not LFE, and the problems of a delayed LFE signal.

It is better to concentrate the Bass on main channels (Fronts for example). And let the Full Band speakers or the AVR Bass Management (with Subwoofer) do the job. 360 Reality Audio seem to have come to that conclusion.

From Immersive Audio Hub - Genelec.com

View attachment 87596
That's a useful reference site!

I’m not an expert either, I just know enough to be dangerous. Another strange thing about the 360 files from Tidal/Deezer, is 4 height channels appear to be mapped as well, but there is also mention of 10 objects.
There is nothing strange. 360 RA is a discrete multichannel object-based that currently is beeing rendered to the masses as virtualized downmixed to binaural stereo headphones.

360 Tidal encoded files are delivered as a multichannel 7.1.4 either with:
- 10 objects. The render would fire all 7.0.4 speakers depending on the mix.
- 6 objects. A transcription of surround 5.1 (No activity on heights)
- 4 objects. A transcription of old 70's Quad mixes, or try to emulate that.

There is nothing strange. 360 RA is a discrete multichannel object-based that currently is beeing rendered to the masses as virtualized downmixed to binaural stereo headphones.

360 Tidal encoded files are delivered as a multichannel 7.1.4 either with:
- 10 objects. The render would fire all 7.0.4 speakers depending on the mix.
- 6 objects. A transcription of surround 5.1 (No activity on heights)
- 4 objects. A transcription of old 70's Quad mixes, or try to emulate that.

Gotcha. I thought it was strange because the overhead channels are being mapped to specific speakers like a traditional 5.1/7.1 mix, where as I understand it Atmos uses metadata to place the objects where the AVR “sees” speakers and isn’t mapping to a specific channel. I thought 360RA acted in a similar way.

I remarked yesterday that that seemed like a useful reference site--and then later in the day I got an email from Polk (I'm on their mailing list) touting their brand-new "Ultimate Guide to Dolby Atmos." I wonder if Dolby is now partnering with--or leaning on--various speaker manufacturers to promote Atmos?
https://www.polkaudio.com/en-us/blog/tech/the-ultimate-guide-to-dolby-atmos-part-1
If you where a speaker manufacturer, you would need no encouragement or partnering to embrace Atmos. Or any other audio format that requires large number of speakers. You would do it for the love, not the money. Love of selling speakers.

If you where a speaker manufacturer, you would need no encouragement or partnering to embrace Atmos. Or any other audio format that requires large number of speakers. You would do it for the love, not the money. Love of selling speakers.
You'd think, yeah. It's just that I haven't seen them put together these sorts of "primers" for consumers till now.

I remarked yesterday that that seemed like a useful reference site--and then later in the day I got an email from Polk (I'm on their mailing list) touting their brand-new "Ultimate Guide to Dolby Atmos." I wonder if Dolby is now partnering with--or leaning on--various speaker manufacturers to promote Atmos?
https://www.polkaudio.com/en-us/blog/tech/the-ultimate-guide-to-dolby-atmos-part-1

It's good to see as many articles as possible like that, to push people to convince them that the best way to enjoy surround/immersive is by a Home Theater discrete speakers system instead of binaural headphones. Well, we would allow the soundbars to be talked about as well ;)

Dolby does promotion. Sony 360 RA as well. Is Auro-3D doing any promotion from his new owner/management?

Hello,

I have a brand new MARANTZ CINEMA 50, ChromeCast Ultra and TIDAL Master subscribtion.

I'm so anxious to try and enjoy 360 RA on physical speakers instead of just my SONY headphones.

But I can't get MPEG-H decoding to activate and playback 360 RA on my receiver like shown below:
5.png
Marantz Support is telling me to enable Pass-through on my Chromecast. Now where the heck do I that? It's not to be found in the Google Home app, or is it? My Chromecast is the Ultra 4K edition from 2017. Do I need the latest Chromecast 4k with Google TV to get this to work?

Anyone in the same boat as me?

https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/content/dam/iis/de/doc/ame/AES-LA-Webinar-April2020-release.pdf page 46

Hello,

I have a brand new MARANTZ CINEMA 50, ChromeCast Ultra and TIDAL Master subscribtion.

I'm so anxious to try and enjoy 360 RA on physical speakers instead of just my SONY headphones.

But I can't get MPEG-H decoding to activate and playback 360 RA on my receiver like shown below:View attachment 87758Marantz Support is telling me to enable Pass-through on my Chromecast. Now where the heck do I that? It's not to be found in the Google Home app, or is it? My Chromecast is the Ultra 4K edition from 2017. Do I need the latest Chromecast 4k with Google TV to get this to work?

https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/content/dam/iis/de/doc/ame/AES-LA-Webinar-April2020-release.pdf page 46
Tantalizing (including the parenthetical that 360 RA should also work via Fire Stick). Sounds like all parties involved are not quite on the same page yet. I'm not finding anything useful on the web, including reddit.

Please keep us posted!

Hello,

But I can't get MPEG-H decoding to activate and playback 360 RA on my receiver like shown below:View attachment 87758Marantz Support is telling me to enable Pass-through on my Chromecast. Now where the heck do I that? It's not to be found in the Google Home app, or is it? My Chromecast is the Ultra 4K edition from 2017. Do I need the latest Chromecast 4k with Google TV to get this to work?

We have talked several times about the still missing 'player' to recognize the format and send 360 RA bitstream to an AVR. Tidal App from Fire Stick, sends 360RA virtualizad stereo for headphones.

@Evanesco . Come on!, try it. You could be the first to manage it !

Hello,

Congrats on your new receiver.
Because I'm curious I just bought a Chromecast 4k, waiting to be delivered.

Now somthing "exiting" came to my very eyes a caouple of days ago while reading (again) about 360RA on Sony website.
Here's what I've found

Back