360RA decoding via hardware - McIntosh and other MPEG-H ready receivers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember have reading from someone that the current 360RA mixes delivered in TIDAL does not follow that Speaker System layout (with the three lower fronts), but instead a layout similar to Dolby Atmos.
That would be good for compatibility.

If this is true, building a 360 playing system like that would not render exactly what the mixer engineer did? Unless we use a Dolby Atmos speaker layout?

With all that confussion, how the discrete speakers Home Theater for 360RA is going to evolve?

With all that confussion, how the discrete speakers Home Theater for 360RA is going to evolve?
This format war doesn’t seem like the older ones I’ve seen. Although I suck as a fortune-teller, it seems like Atmos is going to win, at least in homes.

We may end up with both, just like DTS and Dolby Digital.

It’s still possible all new AVRs will have both Atmos and MPEG-H 3D Audio (Sony RA 360) decoders. All latest release Denon AVRs now have MPEG-H 3D Audio decoders.

We may end up with both, just like DTS and Dolby Digital.

It’s still possible all new AVRs will have both Atmos and MPEG-H 3D Audio (Sony RA 360) decoders. All latest release Denon AVRs now have MPEG-H 3D Audio decoders.
I have one of the latest Denons, but it won't decode Sony RA 360 from Tidal.

I have one of the latest Denons, but it won't decode Sony RA 360 from Tidal.
We keep repeating the same:

We already have some AVR's with Atmos decoder and MPEG-H/360RA decoder.
But we need the 'player', not included in the AVR, that send bitstream HDMI to the AVR to decode.

Fire TV / Apple TV (with streaming Apps) and media players such as DUNE/Oppo/Zidoo (with local media files) ... are able to send bitstream Dolby Atmos through HDMI.

No 'player' yet exists that would send 360RA (discrete multichannel) to HDMI. The only so far is 360RA stereo for virtualizing on the headphones. :mad:

Here’s their speaker layout (refresher) for 360RA-
*this is way more than what’s in the (Sony HT-A9 speaker system)
No 'player' yet exists that would send 360RA (discrete multichannel) to HDMI. The only so far is 360RA stereo for virtualizing on the headphones. :mad:

So not only special "players" and AVR's, but a special speaker layout too. :(
And it does look like the end of the line for Auro, which had much of the same demands
but could offer a excellent immersive listening experience.
I guess these companies never learn from the past history.
How many more do we need?

And it does look like the end of the line for Auro, which had much of the same demands but could offer a excellent immersive listening experience.
According to their website, Auro are supposed to be at CES 2023. I guess time will tell how many movies the format will end up on in cinemas.

And it does look like the end of the line for Auro, which had much of the same demands
but could offer a excellent immersive listening experience.
It's no problem to play Auro 3D on a 7.3.4 setup, and it sounds good. I really like their upmixer too for music. :)

According to their website, Auro are supposed to be at CES 2023. I guess time will tell how many movies the format will end up on in cinemas.
Also, the new Auro owner/management is going to promote a codec for streaming and perhaps also the virtualizing to stereo.

This is the only way to survive and reach mainstream. So, we will have not only two, but three formats competing: Atmos, 360RA and Auro.

Would the mainstream people adopt these virtualized/fake surrounds?

Perhaps we are at the begining of a new era of future really good cheap immersive systems. I do not like to wear earbuds, neither headphones. But next generations may like it. Perhaps smart clothing with speaker hoods.

Also, the new Auro owner/management is going to promote a codec for streaming and perhaps also the virtualizing to stereo.
I do wish them luck. No special player is needed and discs can be ripped and encoded to flac with no playback problems. All you need is a Auro capable AVR.

I do wish them luck. No special player is needed and discs can be ripped and encoded to flac with no playback problems. All you need is a Auro capable AVR.
Yes, but with the very very few releases of Auro-3D in bluray (and something testimonial in downloadable files) no luck would be expected.

The new Auro management will have to work hard to gain a foothold in the market.

I have ordered in etsy.com these decorative frames for my Home Theater Room. I already have other saying "Home Cinema". They look good and are of good quality.

Still missing (I do not find it) something similar with 360 RA ;)

1672347473782.png
1672347526152.png

so true.. the industry seemed pretty well-prepared for a mass rollout of Atmos in AVRs & Soundbars in a 5.1.2 configuration because 5.1 and 7.1 have been common for so long.

anything above 8-channels however still feels more in the realms of the upper-mid sector of the market and that's not where most folks are at (other than people like us bunch of fanatics, of course!).

just a v.recent 1st hand case in point, my Brother was so convinced by my Atmos rig he promptly went and got himself one.

he now has Atmos in a 5.0.2 config (4 x Floorstanders and matching MTM Centre, 2 x Upward Firing Front Atmos Speakers, no Sub) run thru a Denon AVR-X2800H and he absolutely loves it!

however, he just told me that had he known that upgrading to 5.1.4 would not be possible with that Receiver he would have spent more and got the next model up (3700) instead because he worked out what he really loved most on my rig was the effect of 4 x Atmos Height speakers!

tbh i screwed up there, i should've been more forthcoming but i didn't want to be pushy i was just so thrilled he was going Atmos and it's not my money after all, the 2800 is like 800 quid and the 3700 is £1200+ which isn't massive in the scheme of things but it all adds up, times are tricky and 400 smackers is still not peanuts.

really imho the industry needs to come up with an AVR that can handle 7.1.4 Atmos (even if only with an external amp for the extra channels) and 360RA decoding for under a grand.
And what's the problem adding a sub to the Denon AVR-X2800H?

And what's the problem adding a sub to the Denon AVR-X2800H?

If the speakers have enough full band extension to the bass, there is no imperative need for a SUB.

For normal music listening, with good speakers, there is no imperative need for a SUB.

With a SUB, the calibration/equalization around the crossover point could not be exact because of the rollover curves form. With Denon/Audyssey you can only do a partial job in calibration. You need REW, an additional calibration mic, Ratbuddyssey tool and a manual iterative process to smooth the curves and do a proper calibration. Other systems with DIRAC, for example, have a much more automated process.

With a single SUB, only a narrow sweet spot can be properly calibrated. To prevent the amount of nodes/valleys on the bass frequencies throughout the room, it is convenient to deploy two or even four SUBs. But that introduces more cost and complexity to the solution.

Without a SUB, the Bass and the LFE channel are distributed between the two fronts and two surrounds, so a more EQ bass is achieved in the room, with less calibration effort.

It is true, nevertheless, that a bigger Bass power punch can be achieved with a SUB. But if not properly calibrated it can blur the fidelity of the sound.

We’ve forgotten DTS:X already…
DTS-HD MA is still present on films and music Hi-res Surround, as long as Blu-rays are alive, but...

No music on DTS:X (That I know...)
I think less films on DTS:X (compared to Dolby Atmos)
I have not heard of IMAX enhanced again.
And we don't like Neural:X for music. (We prefer better DSU or Auro-Matic)

So, the diagnostic is...

Back