4 more Quadio titles coming in January 2024! (Titles Announced)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a couple of these???

Attachments

• IMG_3713.jpeg
    IMG_3713.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
it's been quite some time since i last played the Quad but i don't recall the mix being anything to write home about from a Surround perspective? 🤔
I wanted it to sound great because the tunes are so good, but I remember being disappointed. It probably has been a decade or so, so my memory may be faulty. I turned 57 last month, haha.

it's been quite some time since i last played the Quad [War: The World Is A Ghetto] but i don't recall the mix being anything to write home about from a Surround perspective? 🤔
Since it's such an iconic album, wonder if the powers that be at RHINO would ever consider accessing the original multitracks and remixing for QUAD?

And would love to know what albums are being remixed in QUAD by Rhino ....current ones or older fare? Hopefully, Steve {Foraging Rhino} will drop some hints SOON!

I've got the white shell Q8 and while the sound quality is rather poor (even by 8-track standards), I think the quad mix is pretty nice. Lead vocals and bass are everywhere, but pretty much everything else is panned discretely to a different corner of the room. For example, the sax part in "Cisco Kid" is squarely in the rear speakers. I would be excited to hear a high-quality transfer of this.

As for the Atmos version on Apple Music: are we sure this is a genuine remix? The sound quality is certainly better, but I'm not really hearing much seperation. The center channel sounds like an extraction from the stereo mix, whereas the sides have all the same content as the fronts & center minus the bass guitar (maybe a copy/paste with a high-pass filter?). The rear surrounds and heights sound like reverb-y duplicates of that same material.

I've got the white shell Q8 and while the sound quality is rather poor (even by 8-track standards), I think the quad mix is pretty nice. Lead vocals and bass are everywhere, but pretty much everything else is panned discretely to a different corner of the room. For example, the sax part in "Cisco Kid" is squarely in the rear speaker. I would be excited to hear a high-quality transfer of this.

As for the Atmos version on Apple Music: are we sure this is a genuine remix? The sound quality is certainly better, but I'm not really hearing much seperation. The center channel sounds like an extraction from the stereo mix, whereas the sides have all the same content as the fronts & center minus the bass guitar (maybe a copy/paste with a high-pass filter?). The rear surrounds and heights sound like reverb-y duplicates of that same material.
well i better give the Quad another try then! ✌️🤩

I agree with what @sjcorne said, in spite of the fact that the WAR mixes have the vocals and bass in all four speakers (a lot like The Guess Who's Rockin', another unfairly-maligned Q8-only mix that scrubbed up incredibly well on the D-V SACD) there's still a lot to like about them. The slightly diffuse nature of the four-channel vocals suits the band's trippy, slightly weary vibe perfectly well.

The main reason I voted an 8 in the poll, and not higher, is because of the sound quality of the United Artists (who distributed the WAR catalog back then, more info in this extensive thread I did a few years back) Q8s was (and is) the worst of any major-label company in the quad era. There isn't much frequency response above about 6-8kHz, and what is there is oversaturated almost to the point of distortion.

The good news is that the issue is entirely to do with U/A shoddy Q8 duplication facility, and nothing baked in to the master tapes, as the D-V SACD releases of Donald Byrd's Black Byrd and Street Lady (which were U/A Q8 releases) both sound phenomenally good (in part due to Mike Dutton's remastering, obvs) and exhibit none of the sonic problems that the Q8s had. I think the WAR quads would make a fine addition to the Quadio series if they can make it happen, and they'd probably be something of a revelation sonically compared to what we've heard on the old Q8s.

All released back in the day, but first time reissued.

1 was only on 8 track
2 were on LP & 8 Track
1 was on LP, 8 Track, and Open Reel Tape

Cheers!
Can I ask for another vague hint? Were all four titles originally issued by labels that fell under the WEA umbrella? Jefferson Starship was a surprise as it had been reissued through Sony/Legacy on CD as recently as 2005, but my guess is that Jefferson Starship retained the masters once they started Grunt in 1971, at least that sounds plauseable. I imagine Chicago also secured their masters from Sony somewhere down the line. But is Rhino licensing titles from other majors? If so, please do what you can to get Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" out in quad.

Just to put my 2cents in, I'd love to see these ones come soon (all were originally released on CD-4 LP, quad reel & Q8 tape)...
Mickey Newbury • Frisco Mabel Joy
Donny Hathaway - Extension Of A Man
Herbie Mann – Hold On, I'm Comin' (for me better than Push Push and with a nice discrete mix)
Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky

AFAIK Rhino isn't licensing quad mixes from non-WEA group labels (even if the WEA group originally released the quad Q4/Q8/CD-4 but the license was later transferred).

Kirk Bayne

The Canadians WAR Q8 are the same mix as their USA counterpart BUT the duplication is miles better than the USA ones. Liberty US and affiliated (UA group, Stax... ) are the worst sounding carts ever done in USA. If you're looking for such a cart, skip the USA ones, black or white shell are the same crap, and go for the canadian with Gold shell.
Said that, all three quad albums are well worthy a digital release.

The Canadians WAR Q8 are the same mix as their USA counterpart BUT the duplication is miles better than the USA ones. Liberty US and affiliated (UA group, Stax... ) are the worst sounding carts ever done in USA. If you're looking for such a cart, skip the USA ones, black or white shell are the same crap, and go for the canadian with Gold shell.
Said that, all three quad albums are well worthy of a digital release.
MOST ESPECIALLY from those 15ips QUAD analogue masters transferred to BD~A @ 192/24 resolution and I believe a high priority on everyone's list here at QQ Forum!

In fact would constitute a nice little box set as the LIVE gig was a double LP and would fit comfortably on a single BD~A. You can package the discs in a clam shell box and call it THE WAR CHEST!

PayPlay.FM - WAR - WAR Live (Vinyl) CD1 Mp3 Download

Deliver the Word. United Artist USTQ-128-QF (QR), UA-DA128-H (Q8)
Live (Complete). United Artist [2 LP] UA-DA1930-P (Q8)
Live Vol. 1. United Artist UA-DA1931-H (Q8)
Live Vol. 2. United Artist UA-DA1932-P (Q8)
The World is a Ghetto. United Artist USTQ-5652-QF (QR),
UA-DA178-H (Q8)

Last edited:
1. two R&B-ish titles (one of which I hope blows some minds)
2. one Jazz Cat
3. one Singer-Songwriter whose first name isn't Jackson.
----
one was only on 8 track (No Q4 or LP for one of them)
two were on LP & 8 Track (No Q4s for two of them)
one was on LP, 8 Track, and Open Reel Tape (one was on all formats Q8, Q4, and LP)

We should be able to crack this wide open with a bit of expertise and the process of elimination.

1. Average White Band (LP & Q8 only)
2. Roberta Flack (LP & Q8 only)
3. Donnie Hathaway - "Extensions" was on all quad formats Q8, Q4, and LP)
4. Gil Evans - was mentioned as a very good quad title, and a likely release at some point (was on LP & Q8 only)
6. War – The World Is A Ghetto (was only out on 8 track) It is kind of R&B-ish, and it would blow minds alright!
5. Best of Tommy James and the Shondells (was out on 8 track only) ;)

#5 is just a sub. But can anyone name some other titles from Warner that were Q8 only?

We need a quad singer-songwriter title or two.

1. two R&B-ish titles (one of which I hope blows some minds)
2. one Jazz Cat
3. one Singer-Songwriter whose first name isn't Jackson.
----
one was only on 8 track (No Q4 or LP for one of them)
two were on LP & 8 Track (No Q4s for two of them)
one was on LP, 8 Track, and Open Reel Tape (one was on all formats Q8, Q4, and LP)

We should be able to crack this wide open with a bit of expertise and the process of elimination.

1. Average White Band (LP & Q8 only)
2. Roberta Flack (LP & Q8 only)
3. Donnie Hathaway - "Extensions" was on all quad formats Q8, Q4, and LP)
4. Gil Evans - was mentioned as a very good quad title, and a likely release at some point (was on LP & Q8 only)
6. War – The World Is A Ghetto (was only out on 8 track) It is kind of R&B-ish, and it would blow minds alright!
5. Best of Tommy James and the Shondells (was out on 8 track only) ;)

#5 is just a sub. But can anyone name some other titles from Warner that were Q8 only?

We need a quad singer-songwriter title or two.
if the next batch of Quadio includes any of either the Average White Band "AWB", Roberta Flack "Killing Me Softly", Donny Hathaway "Extension Of A Man", or Gil Evans "Svengali" i will be over the moon!! 🙏🌈🤩

if the batch consists of all 4 of those, standby! ✌️😳 for my mind will be totally blown into zillions of kilobitsss!!! 🤯😋😍

Back