4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.
Well, we don't have the master in any of the Warner vaults in any territory.

I should dig deeper into this. I wish there was a quad of Cross-Collateral!

You might try the people in charge of The Montreaux Jazz Festival , in Montreaux Switzerland.
I read some 50 years back that the recently deceased (might be a couple years now) , that Claude Nobs of Montreaux Jazz Festival fame , was your WEA representative for all of Europe. This during the time of the quadradisc program throughout the 70's. In fact WEA European headquarters at the time was in Montreaux , Switzerland.
The Montreaux Jazz Festival, in Switzerland has an extensive library of Concerts , and not just Jazz, but other genre as well.
In fact two WEA artists have a quad release at the Montreaux Jazz Festival, that being Mongo Santamaria Live at Monteaux , and Fats Domino in Montreaux .
Sorry I don't have their address, but it shouldn't be difficult to find the Montreaux Jazz Festival in the same city.

-Fizzy

Anticipation - Rhino Quadios & Heinz (sorry...although a Carly Simon quad album could be one of the 2024-05 Quadios)

Kirk Bayne

I find it curious that Anticipation is the only one of Carly Simon's first six albums not to be released in quad. Obviously, the title track and "Legend In Your Own Time" were mixed for the Best of....

I find it curious that Anticipation is the only one of Carly Simon's first six albums not to be released in quad. Obviously, the title track and "Legend In Your Own Time" were mixed for the Best of....
"Legend" is my favorite early Simon song. The acoustic guitar is just so majestic and wonderful sounding, and I even remember the first time I heard it.

I am just wondering, could the Rhino Quadio group be persuaded on putting out a list of available titles they have and allow a poll for the selection?
There are a few caveats on releasing the top voted picks from such a poll, or at least releasing them first. Folks would not be getting exposure to things they didn’t previously know about. With a mixed genre bundle of four, we are more likely to take a chance on an unknown title. Rhino gets a sale that they might not have made, so the series continues further than it would have otherwise.

Bundle discounts and relatively low prices here are based on us usually buying them all, and continuing to do so.

You might try the people in charge of The Montreaux Jazz Festival , in Montreaux Switzerland.
I read some 50 years back that the recently deceased (might be a couple years now) , that Claude Nobs of Montreaux Jazz Festival fame , was your WEA representative for all of Europe. This during the time of the quadradisc program throughout the 70's. In fact WEA European headquarters at the time was in Montreaux , Switzerland.
The Montreaux Jazz Festival, in Switzerland has an extensive library of Concerts , and not just Jazz, but other genre as well.
In fact two WEA artists have a quad release at the Montreaux Jazz Festival, that being Mongo Santamaria Live at Monteaux , and Fats Domino in Montreaux .
Sorry I don't have their address, but it shouldn't be difficult to find the Montreaux Jazz Festival in the same city.

-Fizzy
The Montreux Jazz series is now under the stewardship of BMG Management and in the last two years they have released some extraordinary concerts in absolutely stunning sonics and most were encoded in the 24 bit MQA CD format in gorgeous digibooks.

https://www.musicweek.com/labels/re...-documentary-series-and-music-releases/082869

Example:

81W7kM3ohVL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Under BMG or Eagle Vision , it may not be too relevant as they have an extensive archives in Montreux Switzerland.

The most important thing to keep in mind , is that the late Claude Nobs was the WEA representative/mucky-muck during the quadradisc years , and probably some years after, (and not those at the London/UK WEA locale).
And Claude Nobs was Not just in charge of The Montreux Jazz Festival .

They do have a viable archives of multitrack tapes , which may include missing European quads such as those from Passport , Deaf School , Absolute Elsewhere , Ralph McTell , and Fats Domino.

I think at this point any source of Multitapes in a large Archives in Europe would be well worth the effort to delve into , being the prior connection to WEA.

Musically they have some outstanding artists such as Van Morrison , Lou Reed , Shane McGowan, The Cheiftans ,and Emerson Lake and Palmer just to name a few non Jazz Festival artists.
And all ....Apart from The Cheiftans , have or had associations with Warner , Electra , Atlantic Records .

I should know about these artists , as I have all but the Shane McGowan appearance.

-Fizzy

Last edited:

"Legend" is my favorite early Simon song. The acoustic guitar is just so majestic and wonderful sounding, and I even remember the first time I heard it.

I like that tune a lot as well. Great acoustic guitar as you say.

The marketing of the Carly Quads is an interesting Quandry. Of course, first it would have to be determined that they have the green light to release them in the first place. Then you have to decide how to do them, since there are a total of five.

If you release the GH as a single disc first, which is the sure fire, out of the gate big seller, you probably are conceding sales of the individual single albums as many fans are in fact only interested in the hits and will pass on "Carly Simon", "Hotcakes" and "Playing Possum".

Or, you could do a Quadio box of her 4 individual quad albums, maybe a Christmas time thing. And if you do, do you include the 5th, the GH album, or release that as a companion separate single disc that casual fans can buy without having to buy the whole box - OR, do you put it in the box to make the box more attractive and sell more boxes?

How would you all do it?

These are decisions that must try @ForagingRhino's soul!!! :cool:

The marketing of the Carly Quads is an interesting Quandry. Of course, first it would have to be determined that they have the green light to release them in the first place. Then you have to decide how to do them, since there are a total of five.

If you release the GH as a single disc first, which is the sure fire, out of the gate big seller, you probably are conceding sales of the individual single albums as many fans are in fact only interested in the hits and will pass on "Carly Simon", "Hotcakes" and "Playing Possum".

Or, you could do a Quadio box of her 4 individual quad albums, maybe a Christmas time thing. And if you do, do you include the 5th, the GH album, or release that as a companion separate single disc that casual fans can buy without having to buy the whole box - OR, do you put it in the box to make the box more attractive and sell more boxes?

How would you all do it?

You just release ALL five. The Chicago box set also included their GH [labeled Chicago IX] and that set sold through the roof.

Also as noted, GH also includes ANTICIPATION which is not on the other 4.

Trivia: Anticipation was written by Simon as she was 'anticipating' her date with CAT STEVENS who, BTW, sang back~up vocals on that album!

And who knows, maybe ANTICIPATION will be fully remixed [as a special treat] in QUAD by the time this QUADIO box set reaches market!

Foraging Rhino did indicate the end of May QUADIO box set will "knock yer socks off!"

How would you all do it?

My opinions, is it depends on how well her albums sell currently. If the albums on CD have sunk in their sales numbers like much of the standard back catalog has, then one must be more creative about how this is done. If the numbers do not justify a four or five disc set, then a three disc set with two albums per disc x 2, and disc three is the Best of album. A much smaller run than Doobies, but priced about the same, or slightly higher even. Then when it sells out, they can market the "Best of" album as a standalone release, but again a smaller run.

While Carly is a very respected artist and has wonderful recordings, I don't see the strong interest here like the Doobies especially the Captain and Vices albums have. My opinion is that there would need be to be some cost cutting on the production of a quad set like including 2-fers in the box, and a having the hits collection as well. Then limiting the pressing run, and yet charging same as Doobies, or yet a fiver' more. A tough balance on this one. Less cost to produce, smaller run, and slightly higher price. A box that has absolutely gorgeous cover won't hurt.

My opinions, is it depends on how well her albums sell currently. If the albums on CD have sunk in their sales numbers like much of the standard back catalog has, then one must be more creative about how this is done. If the numbers do not justify a four or five disc set, then a three disc set with two albums per disc x 2, and disc three is the Best of album. A much smaller run than Doobies, but priced about the same, or slightly higher even. Then when it sells out, they can market the "Best of" album as a standalone release, but again a smaller run.

While Carly is a very respected artist and has wonderful recordings, I don't see the strong interest here like the Doobies especially the Captain and Vices albums have. My opinion is that there would need be to be some cost cutting on the production of a quad set like including 2-fers in the box, and a having the hits collection as well. Then limiting the pressing run, and yet charging same as Doobies, or yet a fiver' more. A tough balance on this one. Less cost to produce, smaller run, and slightly higher price. A box that has absolutely gorgeous cover won't hurt.
I don't see Rhino putting more than one album on a disc. They haven't done it so far in the Quadio program. I think they'll stick with what they are doing. Remember, they are making these Blu-rays like mini albums, with inserts and liner notes just like the originals. Hard to do with a two-fer (like Dutton Vocalian.)

And I know that I have to remember that, just because some artist has two or five original Quad albums, it doesn't mean they can't do a box set. Sure, "Quadio" seems like 4 discs would be a given. I try to remember that's not really the case.

You are SO correct about Carly. Spectacular as I think she is, there's not a lot of buzz out there about her - at least not like Joni. As much as I would love a new quadraphonic mix of Anticipation as some have suggested, I think a more popular group would sell better and more more cost effective in this case. Based on this group, a rock title. No one gives Disco any credit. 😥
😂

Smaller run means higher price per set. So as long as the Carly fans are willing to pay the extra cost, and be happy about it, then great. One album per disc because it’s the way (I've always heard it should be) they always do it, no problem, they can pay for those pretty mini jackets and extra discs too! More discs than the Doobies, no problem there either! Hope they don’t mind cracking a C note plus tax.

Last edited:

How would you all do it?

The Chicago Quadio box includes the “greatest hits” album. If you’re gonna do the whole thing, do the whole damned thing!

I don't see Rhino putting more than one album on a disc. They haven't done it so far in the Quadio program. I think they'll stick with what they are doing. Remember, they are making these Blu-rays like mini albums, with inserts and liner notes just like the originals. Hard to do with a two-fer (like Dutton Vocalian.)

And I know that I have to remember that, just because some artist has two or five original Quad albums, it doesn't mean they can't do a box set. Sure, "Quadio" seems like 4 discs would be a given. I try to remember that's not really the case.

You are SO correct about Carly. Spectacular as I think she is, there's not a lot of buzz out there about her - at least not like Joni. As much as I would love a new quadraphonic mix of Anticipation as some have suggested, I think a more popular group would sell better and more more cost effective in this case. Based on this group, a rock title. No one gives Disco any credit. 😥
😂
Joni is making something of a comeback - at least she’s had a public appearance lately, and her medical issues are well known, so she’s in the news far more than Carly. Personally, I like Carly’s voice and songs more than I like Joni’s but either one would be an instant purchase on my part.

Disco? Hell yeah! How about a couple of Donna Summer albums?

-Fizzy
All that…plus he was immortalized in “Smoke on the Water” as “funky Claude”.
I got to visit his house once during the festival which was atop a high peak overlooking Lake Geneva.
Gorgeous.
May he Rest In Peace ☮️

How would you all do it?

The box with the GH album included. Then if they want to release the GH as a stand-alone down the road, perhaps as part of the quarterly four Quadio releases, go for it.

Back