4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could The Doors, ever become a Quadio bundle?
I am listening to #1 now it just suffers so much. I think I will do a DOORS listening session with the (5) 5.1 SACD's, if I remember correctly the 5.1 gets better as the albums 1-5 get older?

Could The Doors, ever become a Quadio bundle?
I am listening to #1 now it just suffers so much. I think I will do a DOORS listening session with the (5) 5.1 SACD's, if I remember correctly the 5.1 gets better as the albums 1-5 get older?
The first Doors album is a BS 5.1 mix. Just echo/reverb in the rears. Similar to the BOC Agents Of Fortune 5.1 sacd.

I remember there being more in the rears on that one versus The Doors S/T. There isn’t a passage in “The Reaper” where the guitar moves front-to-back?

Yes and it actually does a 360 swirl around the room during the beginning of the unaccompanied part, and there's also some of the legendary (more) cowbell in the rears too, though too low in the mix for my taste. The 5.1 of Agents of Fortune is by no means perfect, but I think it gets way too much stick - maybe it's because it's not mixed like a four-corner discrete quad, I dunno. I think it's ripe for re-discovery and re-appreciation in light of the new "immersive" mixing style that we see a lot of in Atmos these days.

Yes and it actually does a 360 swirl around the room during the beginning of the unaccompanied part, and there's also some of the legendary (more) cowbell in the rears too, though too low in the mix for my taste. The 5.1 of Agents of Fortune is by no means perfect, but I think it gets way too much stick - maybe it's because it's not mixed like a four-corner discrete quad, I dunno. I think it's ripe for re-discovery and re-appreciation in light of the new "immersive" mixing style that we see a lot of in Atmos these days.
Ok maybe it’s a step above The Doors, but the fact that you can list the discrete moments speaks volumes. 😃

I have this one, which includes the original quadraphonic mix on it. And it was very reasonably priced, even recently.
https://www.discogs.com/release/10808418-The-Doors-The-Singles
Oh, yes, I have that one to.
So back to the Quadio question.
If The Doors have these surround singles releases, was there ever a full Quadraphonic albums of the first 6 released?
I guess I could look up on Discogs for the answer to my question, but I am sure some of you know the answer right out of your brain.

Smaller run means higher price per set. So as long as the Carly fans are willing to pay the extra cost, and be happy about it, then great. One album per disc because it’s the way they always do it, no problem, they can pay for those pretty mini jackets and extra discs too! More discs than the Doobies, no problem there! Hope they don’t mind cracking a C note plus tax and plus shipping.
One album released at a time or a complete box set, I think that either would be snapped up by most of those here. Quadio releases are already small runs. A lot of us purchase these discs not just for a particular artist or album but just because they are quad. I never would own any Doobie Brothers recordings if not for quad! I think that any release will sell out. More popular titles might need a repress.

Don't forget that the Quadio box sets are just the quad (and original stereo) albums. They contain no unwanted CD's full of re-mixes, live tracks ect.,with all being brickwalled and unlistenable. Also no large book and no vinyl, those are the things that push up the cost for no good reason. The money paid for Quadio is just for Quadio!
Oh, yes, I have that one to.
So back to the Quadio question.
If The Doors have these surround singles releases, was there ever a full Quadraphonic albums of the first 6 released?
I guess I could look up on Discogs for the answer to my question, but I am sure some of you know the answer right out of your brain.
No full quads of the original albums. There were 5.1 releases in a box set I believe. I did buy most of them individually, privately . They were rather disappointing surround wise.

Don't forget that the Quadio box sets are just the quad (and original stereo) albums. They contain no unwanted CD's full of re-mixes, live tracks ect.,with all being brickwalled and unlistenable. Also no large book and no vinyl, those are the things that push up the cost for no good reason. The money paid for Quadio is just for Quadio!
Indeed, this is one of the great things about Quadio. Contrast with the Pyromania 40th anniversary box for example.

In my opinion, the quad mix of The Best of The Doors that appears on the Rhino Blu-Ray is the best-sounding digital quad reissue to come out of Warners, and no surprise because it was remastered by Bruce Botnick himself.

For me it even bests Steve Hoffman's remaster of the same album for the AF SACD - even though the AF SACD is from the original master and the Rhino is from an LP copy tape, Hoffman's mastering sounds floppy and lifeless by comparison to Botnick's work.

Regarding the earlier comment "Foraging Rhino did indicate the end of May QUADIO box set will "knock yer socks off!"" ...

It might be worth noting that there is a Carly Simon song titled "In Two Straight Lines" that says
Passing the days and thinking up ways
Of knocking the socks off of Miss Clavell.

Then, on the other hand, there is a Joni Mitchell quote, "Edith Piaf knocked my socks off when I was 8, but I didn't know what she was singing about."

So that's no help at all, unfortunately.

Back