44 deg C (111 F) here today!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently 41 deg C here at 3:00pm with forecast for 44 around 5:00pm. Record for Melbourne in December.

I’m at home with 3 air cons running. Too hot to go outside for a ciggy...

You're keeping your computers, your vinyl, and all the rest of your multi-channel media in a climate-controlled vault, right?

I echo the desire for all our Aussie friends to be well during this disaster and hope a solution happens so it will pass soon. I can offer a cool thought, Ottawa is having record lows and they are already flooding the Rideau Canal for ice skating that is a couple weeks ahead of schedule. I had my breath taken away going to the bus to Ikea two days ago. Saw a pylon on the road and it was shattered like from extreme cold, no liquid nitrogen required. Still waiting for the snowmen(& women) to arrive.

How’s the power grids down there?

Not too bad here in Victoria (southern state). They closed a huge coal fired power station south east of Melbourne a couple years back that’s put pressure on. No nuclear in AU, but we have hydro up north and we get hydro from an undersea link from Tasmania. A fair bit of gas fired power here too.

Solar farms are the latest craze. The worlds biggest battery backup for solar was installed by Eon Musk‘s mob in South Australia last year, which help the locals there. Lots of power outages there previously during summer.

The government privatised power industry here a couple decades ago, so it’s now supply and demand. Problem is during freak hot weather events prices hit over $1000 per kWhr (from generation companies) so suppliers start cutting power to homes to save money. Although they’re in denial as that’s not legal.

Not too bad here in Victoria (southern state). They closed a huge coal fired power station south east of Melbourne a couple years back that’s put pressure on. No nuclear in AU, but we have hydro up north and we get hydro from an undersea link from Tasmania. A fair bit of gas fired power here too.

Solar farms are the latest craze. The worlds biggest battery backup for solar was installed by Eon Musk‘s mob in South Australia last year, which help the locals there. Lots of power outages there previously during summer.

The government privatised power industry here a couple decades ago, so it’s now supply and demand. Problem is during freak hot weather events prices hit over $1000 per kWhr (from generation companies) so suppliers start cutting power to homes to save money. Although they’re in denial as that’s not legal.
Sending good wishes your way that the power stays up down there!
You'd think in this day and age these power problems wouldn't exist. Regulate or don't regulate? We got big problems here in California also, as you may have heard, still not sure how that's going to work out. I'd like to think more solar & wind type stuff will help and also create jobs. With much of a needed resource like this up for grabs and when major players wrestle for control of such a market and rectify the distribution; seems like it's the end user that gets the "Rectum Ah Um"

Oh boy@Scott65, it appears that hoards from the mainland will be trying to escape to your lovely island state.

Tas.jpg

Currently 41 deg C here at 3:00pm with forecast for 44 around 5:00pm. Record for Melbourne in December.

I’m at home with 3 air cons running. Too hot to go outside for a ciggy...
Uh um.... doesn't Australia have central air? What does retail shoping do about this? In the mid west USA we just set the thermostat at 68 F summer. Haha in the winter as it is now 72. F.

Last edited:
Stephen Hawking said that if we continue on our current trajectory of energy usage, then in a hundred years the surface of the earth will be glowing red hot with magma. 😱

By the way, it was 18°F (-8°C) here in East Tennessee a couple of nights ago. ☃

Edit: I live fairly far south in North America. I don't how those Canucks, or anyone named "Nanook", can stand it that far north. 🥶

Last edited:
Back