5.1.2 or 7.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeler98

300 Club - QQ All-Star
My AVR packed it in last week and I’m splurging on a new Marantz cinema 40. My room now is installed as a 7.1 configuration with the surround sides some 8 feet off the floor. Should the avr be set-up as a 5.1.2 for full on atmos playback or should I leave it as a 7.1.

Note: the surround sides are not set in the ceiling but are next to it.

Ps. I’m also disabled so I’m not capable of switching back and forth to audition different speaker assignments.

Anybody have a preference Or suggestion?

If it was me in your situation, I would pick 5.1.2 because 95+% of my surround material is 4.1 or 5.1

Does your new Marantz when set to 7.1 offer auto 5.1.2 if the incoming signal is 5.1 ? This ability would seem ideal since it would be optimized for any format you might throw at it.

If it was me in your situation, I would pick 5.1.2 because 95+% of my surround material is 4.1 or 5.1

Does your new Marantz when set to 7.1 offer auto 5.1.2 if the incoming signal is 5.1 ? This ability would seem ideal since it would be optimized for any format you might throw at it.
All I know at this point is the AVR has “Atmos Virtualiztion” which will throw up a ghost-like atmos experience with 5.1 or 7.1 source material..

i don’t know how the avr treats atmos when the speakers are set in 7.1 or 5.1 output..

All I know at this point is the AVR has “Atmos Virtualiztion” which will throw up a ghost-like atmos experience with 5.1 or 7.1 source material..

i don’t know how the avr treats atmos when the speakers are set in 7.1 or 5.1 output..
There should be a paper and/or PDF manual for the Marantz that outlines how those settings behave.

Should the avr be set-up as a new one 5.1.2 for full on atmos playback

You need 4 ceiling speakers for the best Atmos experience.

Set your AVR for 5.1.2 and wire your current sides as tops and configure the AVR to output tops as Middle Heights’ so the decoder will play front top and rear top channels from your newly configured Middle Heights.

Back