5.1 news in mainstream media

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
One of the things that always struck me was how little mention surround sound music gets in the mainstream media. In this week's Entertainment Weekly (Nov. 18 issue), it gets 2 - which is 2 more than I have seen all year. Unfortunately, both comments are dismissive at best.

First a mention of the Talking Heads Brick (The Must List - pg. 99);

"Eight Studio albums-remastered both in stereo (yes!) and in 5.1 surround (huh?)-from the best band to come out of R.I."

Probably the most significant surround release this year, and one the most popular mainstream media rags doesn't understand why they bothered with a 5.1 mix?

Next a review of Jackson Brownes "ROE" - (Extras Credit - pg. 132);

" ...Worth owning if you want to click through over 200 photos taekn during those shows...or crave a 5.1 DVD Audio remix...Overall Grade C"

Crave a 5.1 DVD Audio remix? Isn't that the point?

Aaarrrgghhh!!!!:mad:@:

Crazy.
If these media moguls cannot understand the formats, then they ought to hire someone who does.
I'm sure an advert here would produce a flurry of competent, qualified reviewers.

Unbelievable! These idiots have no business reviewing multi-channel music recordings! Elmer, you ought to write a letter to the editor of Entertainment Weekly.

As for calling these reviewers "iPod'ers", I represent that remark. :>)

I am proud owner of two Universal disc players for multi-channel DVD-A and SACD discs AND a 40GB iPod. They serve very different purposes. Sure, I wish I could play multi-channel hi-resolution music on the iPod, but even without that, I still appreciate the ability to take a large part of my music collection anywhere I go (e.g., health club, backpacking, metro train, etc.). I even copy the music from my DVD-A and single-layer SACD discs (via analog output) to a CD recorder and then to my iPod so I can at least listen to all of the music I've bought whereever I am.

I think it's wrong to blame the iPod and dowloadable music for the lack of interest in high-resolution multi-channel music.

Back