7.1 Up & Running!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for that link.

I have 3:10 to Yuma but watched it when I only had a 5.1 setup, and I thought it sounded fantastic. I didn't even realize it was 7.1 until you posted that link. I'm going to have to go back and re-watch it now with my 7.1 setup. IMO it is one of the better mixes that really emphasizes low bass.

Also, I'd like to add to the list Chasing Mavericks from that link. I've watched it in 7.1 and the waves sound very realistic (I used to surf a lot) but the star of the show is The Butthole Surfers - Pepper in 7.1. I'm not aware of it's release in any form of surround other than this movie and in 7.1 they just nailed it. One of the best 7.1 songs I've ever heard.

Thanks for that link.

I have 3:10 to Yuma but watched it when I only had a 5.1 setup, and I thought it sounded fantastic. I didn't even realize it was 7.1 until you posted that link. I'm going to have to go back and re-watch it now with my 7.1 setup. IMO it is one of the better mixes that really emphasizes low bass.

Also, I'd like to add to the list Chasing Mavericks from that link. I've watched it in 7.1 and the waves sound very realistic (I used to surf a lot) but the star of the show is The Butthole Surfers - Pepper in 7.1. I'm not aware of it's release in any form of surround other than this movie and in 7.1 they just nailed it. One of the best 7.1 songs I've ever heard.

I wonder if Chasing Mavericks is about the famous Mavericks surf spot near where I live?

If you're anywhere near Santa Cruz, it is. I'm kinda surprised you've never heard of this movie before. Kinda a corny movie but it's a true story and the surf footage is excellent, and of course the 7.1

They actually budgeted like 6 months to film this movie and ended up staying over two years to get the wave footage they wanted. (I learned this in the bonus features on the BD).

I can't remember if Mavericks is in Half Moon Bay or Santa Cruz.
From SC, I remember surfing Cowells and 41st St (Pleasure Point). And Steamers? That was a MF of a break.
It's been a loooong time since I've been in the water (spooked by a shark encounter)...

pretty sure Steamers is showcased in the beginning of the movie. That's when the Butthole Surfers song plays.

I think Mav's is closer to half moon bay but I'm from SoCal so what do I know. lol

It's been a loooong time since I've been in the water (spooked by a shark encounter)...

That's really funny you mentioned that. I was watching HBO's Real Sports and they did a segment on mav's. This was very recently.

One of the locals said all anyone ever talks about is how heavy the wave is, the height, etc but NO ONE ever mentions the damn sharks.

I've had a few encounters down here in socal with big blues, not GW's, and it was just about enough to scare me out of the water forever.

That's really funny you mentioned that. I was watching HBO's Real Sports and they did a segment on mav's. This was very recently.

One of the locals said all anyone ever talks about is how heavy the wave is, the height, etc but NO ONE ever mentions the damn sharks.

I've had a few encounters down here in socal with big blues, not GW's, and it was just about enough to scare me out of the water forever.

I was at Pleasure Point. Tiger Shark (or a White). Sold my board and wet suit on the beach...

I can't remember if Mavericks is in Half Moon Bay or Santa Cruz.
From SC, I remember surfing Cowells and 41st St (Pleasure Point). And Steamers? That was a MF of a break.

( Jaws' two notes motif starts in the background... )

01df10376f2c5a76304b38dc7c06c52b1c133b30.jpg

:yikes

I'm wondering - technically I should move my "surrounds" from 110 degrees further forward to around 90 degrees.
Will this make my 5.1 albums sound weird though? I mean, the 7.1 sounds fantastic with the sides at 110 degrees.
When I put on a 5.1 album, I assume the receiver simply won't play anything out of the rears, so, shouldn't the sides (surrounds) stay where I need them for 5.1? :confused:

That's what I found when I added 2 speakers to my 5.1 system, extending it to 7.1.

All of a sudden, my rears were silent when listening to 5.1. All the rear stuff was coming from the sides. Since almost all my surround albums and movies have no 7.1 option, I removed the side speakers again and went back to 5.1, so I could actually hear the rear stuff from behind me, where it belongs. :-/

This is up to your preference of course.
The idea of 7.1 is side and back speakers. When you play 5.1 music, a suitable surround mode, like ProLogic IIx Music mode, should split the rear channel in between the back and the side speakers.
For 5.1 movies, you could switch to a movie mode, like ProLogic IIx Movie mode.

This is exactly what I do with 5.1 sources. PLIIx Music for music and PLIIx Movie for movies. If you play a 7.1 source it automatically disables the PLIIx. I've done some critical listening and it doesn't seem like it's just doubling the sides into the rears. There seems to be more of a wrap around with the four surround speakers. What it seems to me that is actually happening is that with PLIIx, the main two surround channels are directed to the two rear speakers, whereas the side surrounds seem to be a blending of the front and rear main speakers on their respective left/right sides, so if something pans from front to back, the side surrounds create a smoother transition around the room. I much prefer the way this sounds than having the surrounds either just from the side, or just from the rear.

This is up to your preference of course.
The idea of 7.1 is side and back speakers. When you play 5.1 music, a suitable surround mode, like ProLogic IIx Music mode, should split the rear channel in between the back and the side speakers.
For 5.1 movies, you could switch to a movie mode, like ProLogic IIx Movie mode.

You, sir, RULE. I spent (way too) much of last night hooking up my 2 extra speakers again to test this, and lo and behold, I have it properly up and running! This is AMAZING!

Now, to find a way to rip 7.1 audio from my BluRays.

Back