A few more DVD-A titles...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
I picked up three titles from Capitol/EMI:

- Queensryche - Empire
- Richard Thompson - Rumor and Sigh
- Crowded House - Crowded House

I must say that Capitol/EMI have done a spectacular job on these titles. We're talking quality all the way. The surround mixes were obviously done from the multi-track masters and show off lots of discrete elements with tasteful surround mixes. They’ve included a sensible, easy-to-use menu that allows access to a dedicated stereo mix as well as DD and DTS tracks. My only complaint is that they did not choose to go with stereo/multi double-sided discs, but that's a minor quibble. I sure hope we see more titles from Capitol/EMI! I know a few are on the announced list but I hope they get a big push to announce more. This is the product we want to support. Think of all the great artists on Capitol/EMI and think of those artists on quality produced DVD-A. Very sweet…

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I also picked up a couple of Silverline/Sanctuary releases... I'll spare you the "T" word, but nothing has changed here:

- Gary Moore - Back To The Blues
- Greg Kihn - All The Right Reasons

I should just create a macro so I can easily spill out my typical complaints about Silverline/Sanctuary's abysmal production. We're talking no stereo mix and fake surround all the way. Very badly done fake surround at that. It continues to boggle my mind why they keep doing this! We keep getting gobs and gobs of hastily cookie-cutter produced titles from them but somebody needs to stop the machine and tell them that the cookie-cutter is badly broken! Stop it, stop it, stop it! I don't mind that they're creating bad surround mixes, but for the love of god, INCLUDE A FRIGGIN' STEREO MIX! How hard can it be? I mean, they're mastering the fake surround from the stereo mix, just include a flat transfer from the stereo tape! DO IT NOW!

I would just stop buying their titles, but they are releasing lots and lots of GREAT music. The quality of some of this material is superb! Case in point, the Gary Moore disc. The music is incredible, and the recording quality is exceptional. Yet they produce a fake surround mix with so much echo and reverb that it is way beyond distracting. I literally cannot enjoy the music because of this. But I am left with no option. There is no separate stereo mix, and if you switch the player to stereo, you don't even get the courtesy of fold-down stereo (which wouldn’t be doing you a favor anyway, so it’s really a moot point). In stereo mode, you just get 2/3 of a bad surround mix. It is beyond bad. It is a travesty being repeated over and over and over by this big dumb machine. I cannot begin to describe how incredibly aggravating I find this. Aaaaaargh! :mad:

Okay, okay, my monthly Silverline/Sanctuary rant is hereby complete. Sorry for rambling on for so long. If you've made it this far, your perseverance must be applauded.

I agree with you on the EMI mixes - they should be industry standards, and I will trust their future releases. After buying the Silverline Desmond Dekker disc, I wrote them to say that I wouldn't be buying any more of their product because of their smoke-and-mirror approach to surround mixing. I felt that the final insult was their attempt to make a "surround" mix of a mono source ala the old A&M Q8s of the 1970s. I encourage anybody dissatisfied with Silverline's fraudulent marketing to tell them what you think of them.

Do you have decent contact at Silverline that I can complain to? I would prefer to e-mail or snail-mail a real person in a position to make decisions rather than just blindly clicking their e-mail links on their website. I've been fuming about their releases for months and I'm ready to do something about it. I keep thinking they will catch a clue, but obviously that just ain't gonna happen.

I sent my grievance to their designated email address, which will likely be ignored by their obtuse leadership.

There is a member here called silverline51dvd . I wonder if he/she is from the company???

Hello? Are you out there? If you are from SilverLine, we'd love to hear from you.

As for the Gary Moore, this is one title I was going to get, as I like Gary Moore. I discovered him when he did "Still Got the Blues" (a great CD), and have bought his stuff ever since. I was looking forward to the DVD-A, but alas now I am not...

As far as Silverline goes, if they do have a company guy looking in on this place, WE are their customers, and they should benefit from our input. Maybe the suits don't know that their engineers are releasing crappy product?

:-jon

I too have been interested in some of there titles, but now I'm wise to their game. I have been thinking about plunking down the $ for Dave Edmunds, Wishbone Ash even Atomic Rooster! What's the point, their titles SUCK! And worse is any unsuspecting buyer that does buy and gets a bad taste in their mouth for the format. We need to boycott these bastards, put your money where your mouth is and your foot where it hurts!

What I find disappointing about Silverline is that it initially put out a very fine product: Big Phat Band. Recorded, Mixed, and Issued at 24/96 as a new product. I also enjoy their Grieg album, although it mixed previously recorded music. I hoped they would do the complete music, which never happened. Anyway, I hope they get back on track - I gave up on them in favor of Aix, Tacet, Surrounded by Entertainment, and the Warner labels a long time ago.

Back