A fix it for Amazon Music Player on PC/Mac using lots of processing power..Might help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Staff member
Well folks at Amazon were not happy with us just buying their music products, seems they also wanna know when we buying others. So they attached a little startup program called Amazon Music Help.ex that starts up when u start your PC/Mac.

Snood did not really notice, but me did notice the new startup program and went huh? Especially after me Hitmanpro anti Malware tagged it as suspicious. It is not malware but some might consider it adware or a super duper cooookie.

In a nutshell this app is supposed to make it easier for Amazon Music Player to open from a Webpage..........instead of you just manually opening it from your desktop...........whaaaaa. So if you set ur preferences to not do it.........just means you have to manually open it like you have done many times before.

They say they have fixed the processor usage bug...........maybe

you can check and see how much cpu usage it might be using or if it is on by:

1. Hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete
2. Select Task Manager and choose the Processes tab
3. Highlight the Amazon Music Helper.exe process
4. Hit End Process

The Amazon Program we are talking about is AMAZON MUSIC with the orange and black desktop icon.

Well they did finally fixed it in the settings preferences described here, but you have to manually do it yourself. Scroll down to the next to the last post on the page.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...1B6N5&cdSort&cdThread=TxFXGW6CUWJRD7&cdPage=5 and the instructions are there.......think if mac there might be one other thing on page 6.

Also....you might want to do this also - hit your Start button.........in search programs type msconfig then click on it when it comes up. Hit the Startup tab on the pane that opens and look for an entry that says Amazon Music - Uncheck that box and hit apply.........then ok. It will give you an option to restart now or later. Either way...........but this makes double sure that Amazon music thingy does not automatically start every time you start your pc or mac.

Here is Amazon spin team's take:

Hello everyone, thanks for your feedback about the Amazon Music Helper process. Several on the Amazon Music team have read this forum thread; I will attempt to give more information about what the Amazon Music Helper process is and provide updates on next steps.

The Amazon Music Helper process is a small piece of software that runs in the background to support the main Amazon Music for PC/Mac app. The Amazon Music Helper process has two main functions. The first is to enable the Amazon Music app to open from a web browser. This is needed when you purchase music from the Amazon Music Store in a web browser and want to download it, since downloading is handled by our PC/Mac app. In this case, the Amazon Music Helper process enables the web page to open the Amazon Music app for PC/Mac, which will begin the download (or it will prompt you to install the app if you do not have it). Many other software programs utilize a “helper” method to open apps from a web browser (e.g., iTunes and Spotify).

The second main function of the Amazon Music Helper process is to upload diagnostic informational logs to our engineering team. When a customer contacts us with a bug they have experienced, we can check their logs to understand what actions took place to help diagnose the issue. In addition, this information helps us to understand how the app is performing and where we should be focusing our engineering efforts to give customers the best experience.

When the Amazon Music Helper process isn’t opening the Amazon Music for PC/Mac app after you’ve made a purchase from a web page, and when it’s not uploading log files (which it only does infrequently and for a brief period), the process should consume little to no computer resources. This issue, referenced by me in my May 14 post, was caused by a bug we’ve subsequently fixed to the best of our knowledge. If you continue to see the Amazon Music Helper process consuming non-trivial computer resources, please let us know.

Some customers on this thread have also asked about stopping or removing the Amazon Music Helper process. For Windows customers, to stop the Amazon Music Helper process:
1. Hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete
2. Select Task Manager and choose the Processes tab
3. Highlight the Amazon Music Helper.exe process
4. Hit End Process

If you stop the Amazon Music Helper process, all functionality within the Amazon Music for PC/Mac app continue to work well (download, playback, creating playlists, adding Prime Music, etc). This will only prevent the app from opening from a web page and from uploading logs upon app crashes. For Mac customers, there is no easy way to disable the Amazon Music Helper process without uninstalling the Amazon Music for Mac app. Thank you again for your feedback.

Cheers Snood..............Still like the music app, but Amazon been very very naughty :rolleyes:

Thanks Snood, my htpc started acting wacky lately but I haven't had time to work on it. I had removed the amazon app but put it back on to download some tracks and haven't removed it yet. This might be the problem.

No need to remove it just do the options above and hope it helps even if a lil :banana:

Back