• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

A TRIBUTE TO QUAD's UNSUNG HEROES

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Not surprising ......Ray Thomas stated that Threshold Studios was set up by the engineer to record and playback in quad.

Also they aquired a Sansui encoder in 75 , and Billboard reported they used it on Thomas' solo album Oaks.
Thomas states when it was released "it wasn't a deliberate thing to release it encoded ".

Other discrete mixes that were likely done, Adrian Gurvitz Kick Off You Mudy Boots , Best of Moodies , and solo efforts plus a group on Atco---Trapese.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Not surprising ......Ray Thomas stated that Threshold Studios was set up by the engineer to record and playback in quad.

Also they aquired a Sansui encoder in 75 , and Billboard reported they used it on Thomas' solo album Oaks.
Thomas states when it was released "it wasn't a deliberate thing to release it encoded ".

Other discrete mixes that were likely done, Adrian Gurvitz Kick Off You Mudy Boots , Best of Moodies , and solo efforts plus a group on Atco---Trapese.
I saw Trapeze a few times 1974/75/76-ish too long ago to remember exactly, but it was after Glenn Hughes had left to join Deep Purple.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Likely Derek would have some Classical mixes in quad as well, in his 40+ titles.

I wonder if they ever used that Sansui Encoder on anything else besides Oaks ?
And fwiw I had the stereo (QS) lp and have the quad dvd and I notice the quad is somewhat tame.

artwwweb

Likely Derek would have some Classical mixes in quad as well, in his 40+ titles.
That's a very good point. Especially as he worked for Decca (rather than Threshold directly). I can’t quite decide if it feels like good or bad news that the list of ‘unknown’ quads is potentially smaller than I thought. I’d love there to be more, but it would be annoying if some mixes were shelved!

LENNONOLOGY

sorry Mister Pupster, i haven't a Scooby Doo! :p
tbh i doubt it was Lennon at the controls again, since it doesn't resemble his Imagine Quad, mixwise.. the tape, as is customary with 8-track, gives no indication of such personnel, so unless there's some Billboard or other music/industry mag article of the time mentioning whodunnit we may never know.. i can't see it getting a digital reissue anytime soon but stranger things have happened.. if the flesh is willing and the spirit is strong.. and there's a prevailing wind.. woosh, there goes another unsung hero!! :whistle:

edit: briefly snooping around online, checking out who worked on the album, among its several engineers was one Shelly Yakus.. now we know Mr. Yakus has Quad form (Rick Derringer "Spring Fever", Fredgar Winter "Jasmine Nightdreams") so it may have been him...
Carmine Rubino mixed Walls And Bridges in Quad at Record Plant (NY). He began on Monday, September 23rd and the master was assembled a week later on Monday, September 30th, 1974.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Carmine Rubino mixed Walls And Bridges in Quad at Record Plant (NY). He began on Monday, September 23rd and the master was assembled a week later on Monday, September 30th, 1974.
excellent!!
many thanks for the information.

welcome to QQ 😀

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Missing on that listing are 324 mixes and encodes by Ken Rasek on his SQ encoded WXRT UNCONCERT series out of Chicago.

Just thought I'd mention that. :)

Additionally Ken Rasek has at least 3 albums to his credit.

Paul Berliner - The Sun Rises Late Here
Buddy Rich -King Street (vol one)
Buddy Rich - King Street (vol two)

:)

Group builder