Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" (Remixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those unfamiliar with this release and Al Stewart in general, a few items that may be of interest.

The man likes his history and has written many a song about historical events. There is no better example than the album Past, Present and Future, where his original idea was to present a song for each of the last 10 decades. It didn't quite turn out that way, but close. That album contains the tracks Roads to Moscow and Nostradamus. The former about the Red army's efforts to turn back the Nazis during WWII, and the latter about the French seer. Both excellent tracks which he still performs with some regularity in his live shows. There is also a track called Terminal Eyes, which is an admitted homage to the Beatles I Am the Walrus. Just awsome!

Time Passages is arguably a better album than YOTC, and has much the same style and sound. It was also produced by Parsons. I'm betting it will also be released in surround. Parsons also produced Modern Times, the album that preceded YOTC. All of them have that Parsons touch with respect to the sonics.

It is said he would produce up to half a dozen sets of lyrics for each song he wrote so as to be better able to meld them into the song cycle of any given album theme.

Stewart is a wine connoisseur. He has an album called Down in the Cellar of which wine and winemaking is the central theme.

He is a fascinating guy. Very outgoing with his fans. I've seen him live several times, both with a band and unplugged style. He always makes time for meet and greets after the show and will sign memorabilia freely. I have met him more than once and even shared a glass of wine with him on one occasion.

All of his stuff is highly recommended. Its about time his stuff got some deluxe treatment.

Last edited:
It is said he would produce up to half a dozen sets of lyrics for each song he wrote so as to be better able to meld them into the song cycle of any given album theme.
Yes, he talks extensively in the book that comes with the new release. Adding, he says he always composes the music first and takes his lyric templates adding in lyrics where they seem to fit.
He says the advantage to this is the record companies could not grab his songs and release them even if in his mind they where not quite finished. Good reading in the book that comes with the new release.

I love Al Stewart.....pretty much every period though I haven’t explored his 1980’s output at all. He makes it seems so effortless and he has a style all of his own. I was actually trying to breakdown his songwriting technique one night and I came up with a melody and lyrics that could had easily been one of his songs. Yes, he is a great guy and he must be chomping at the bit to get back on the road. Here is a song that, to me at least, pretty much encapsulates everything that he does so well:

There's some interesting info about his career and how "Year Of The Cat" came to be in this video. Apparently, the iconic piano part was something that Linda Ronstadt's touring pianist would play during sound checks.
Thanks for that. I knew some of it, I knew about his living with Paul Simon. I knew about the alternate lyrics for YOTC. I didnt know the origin of the piano solo. He tells much the same stories during live shows. He's described the income from YOTC is like a little paycheck from an old uncle that shows up every month. When introducing YOTC , I've heard him say.... "Every musician has ONE. ONE song that makes his whole career. This is my ONE."

Like I said, he's a facinating artist.

Other tidbits.... whether of his choosing or not... his most popular LP covers are all by Hipgnosis. The same agency that created most of the Pink Floyd covers. There is a US compilation album called Al Stewart - The Early Years that has a beautiful gatefold full width cover by Hipgnosis. Hipgnosis did YOTC and Time passages and Modern Times covers. All of them wonderful album art.

Supposedly he's the first artist to include the word F#&K in a pop song. So he claimed. I can't say he's wrong.

So what else differentiates it as a DVDA, if not the inclusion of MLP??
With regards to the file structure.... A DVD disc has two folders at the "root"; VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. AUDIO_TS contains the higher audio resolution content (including any optionally compressed MLP content).

If the DVD disc isn't a DVD-Audio disc then the AUDIO_TS folder is empty and all content is in the VIDEO_TS. But if the disc is a DVD-Audio disc, there is also content in the AUDIO_TS. Only a DVD-Audio player can make use of the AUTIO_TS content (it can also play the VIDEO_TS). A 'normal' DVD player will still be able to play a DVD-Audio disc, but only the part that is in the VIDEO_TS.

EDIT: Oops, I took too long to reply, I see AUDIO_TS already came up. I'll leave this here anyways :)

Where is the stereo 96/24 housed in this dvd? Is it in the video folder or audio folder?

the fact that the dvd has a LPCM 96/24 stereo track automatically makes it high res and can be considered dvd-a

So then it’s a dvd-v with a high res stereo and they are “stretching” a bit by labeling this a dvd-a 😁

Back 'in the day' Eric of DVD~A's infancy, a LOT of albums were released as Stereo DVD~As, some in 192/24. and they were indeed labeled as DVD~A! I have a slew of them.

My only gripe with DVD~V and it's LOSSY DTS and DD 5.1 component sporting LPCM LOSSLESS 96/24 or 48/24 STEREO remasters of the same content is that when comparing them on separate higher end components [even the Steve Wilson TULL remixes] the drop in quality becomes MUCH MORE APPARENT.

As we all know, one of the luxuries of early MLP DVD~A discs is that they were backward compatible by including DTS/DD 5.1 for those who had not upgraded to DVD~A players.

Have NO idea why a LOT [and I mean A LOT] of these newer 5.1 remixes do NOT include bona fide LOSSLESS DVD~A mixes and LOSSY DSTS/DD 5.1 mixes as well because AFAIK, there are NO royalty fees inherent when utilizing LOSSLESS LPCM instead of MLP most especially considering all the expense of remixing into 5.1 and duplicating the content from [usually] 192/24 or 96/24 LOSSLESS Remixes and consequently 'downgrading' to LOSSY DTS/DD 5.1 in the final manufacture of these discs.

GIVE US THE FULL KILIBUCK HIGHER RESOLUTION CONTENT OF THE SURROUND MASTERS!

I may have a few of those stereo supposed “dvd-a” but I think most of what I have is the “advanced resolution” multi and stereo bonafide dvd-a’s! 😁

I do agree with you as to why the heck in 2021 they couldn’t release 5.1 as LPCM/D-THD/DTS HD MA etc, ad nauseum on a blu ray...why they chose lossy dts on a dvd??? Bizarre. And unless Esoteric doesn’t have blu ray authoring abilities and equipment...

I may have a few of those stereo supposed “dvd-a” but I think most of what I have is the “advanced resolution” multi and stereo bonafide dvd-a’s! 😁

I do agree with you as to why the heck in 2021 they couldn’t release 5.1 as LPCM/D-THD/DTS HD MA etc, ad nauseum on a blu ray...why they chose lossy dts on a dvd??? Bizarre. And unless Esoteric doesn’t have blu ray authoring abilities and equipment...

It would probably only cost Esoteric pennies more to manufacture DVD~As and as I've said MANY MANY TIMES ... spend a little less on frilly packaging and put the money where it belongs ..... into that 5.1 remix!!!!!!!

Back