Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" (Remixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do agree with you as to why the heck in 2021 they couldn’t release 5.1 as LPCM/D-THD/DTS HD MA etc, ad nauseum on a blu ray...why they chose lossy dts on a dvd??? Bizarre. And unless Esoteric doesn’t have blu ray authoring abilities and equipment...

As has been discussed before, it's a budget issue. Blu-Rays are much more expensive to author/manufacture than DVDs. @edisonbaggins' excellent interview with Bruce Soord last year touched on this.

As has been discussed before, it's a budget issue. Blu-Rays are much more expensive to author/manufacture than DVDs. @edisonbaggins' excellent interview with Bruce Soord last year touched on this.

But as has been brouched many times, Jonathan, spend LESS on the FRILLY packaging and put the money into the DISCs themselves and ironically, ALL the content of the RBCDs could likewise fit on a SINGLE BD~A LOSSLESSLY!

Do we REALLY need postcards and Posters? Don't the artists realize it's the music in highest resolution WE REALLY WANT?

Last edited:
Interesting discussion around the audio formats found on the more recent surround discs released, These definitions might help clarify the difference with MLP compared to LPCM:

1. "MLP is just a way to "pack" LPCM digital data for storage, like zipping up a computer file. Unlike other methods like DD, DTS, and .mp3, it's lossless, hence the name "Meridian Lossless Packing" "

2. "(Meridian Lossless Packing) The compression technique used in DVD-Audio that provides the highest audio quality. It delivers two channels at 192 kHz with 24-bit samples or six channels at 96 kHz. If video is recorded on a DVD-Audio disc, it uses linear PCM (LPCM) for its sound, not MLP, and supports up to eight channels at 96 kHz. "

The DVD - A discs I have from the distant past, circa 2001, display "MLP" encoding on the jacket.

Last edited:
The 96/24 LPCM stereo is actually part of the DVD-V (VIDEO_TS) spec.

Yes, didn't get used often, but it's out there. The Mickey Hart DVD comes to mind.

Ignoring file directories, I'd say the fundamental difference between DVD-A and DVD-V is that -V can only have lossless stereo up to 96kHz and has no ability to have lossless multichannel. DVD-A can have lossless multichannel as well as stereo up to 192kHz.

And I suspect that MLP is necessary in cases when the lossless bits that need to be reproduced are greater than what can be read off the disc in the available time. I think that uncompressed 5.1 at 96kHz would exceed the bits per second that can be pulled off of a DVD, but it's been so long since I've read about it that I could be mis-remembering.

MLP could also sometimes mean the difference between single-layer and/or dual-layer and/or multiple discs.

It would probably only cost Esoteric pennies more to manufacture DVD~As and as I've said MANY MANY TIMES ... spend a little less on frilly packaging and put the money where it belongs ..... into that 5.1 remix!!!!!!!
The problem is not the record companies (for once) its the lack of commercially & legally available authoring software for DVD-A, and importantly which is still supported. Sadly the DVD-A format is dead. There is one, DVD-A is still there on the professional authoring software, but it is very crude, the menu format etc. cannot be changed, it plays as a DVD-A so loads the AUDIO_TS with the correct files, but the menu looks like a 5 year old has done it! So no problem for us, but it depends on the marketing people in the record companies.

The issue with Blu-ray which would give us lossless is the upfront royalty for using it, which a lot of record companies balk at - and for us the ****ing disc failures we've seen!

Given your position as official timekeeper, Goona, I must inform you that my set is scheduled to arrive tomorrow...GMT+96. (That would be Goona Mean Time plus 96 hours.)
My tracking still says Wednesday arrival, but mine has already left St Louis, so history says it will get to my town around 4am, and be delivered tomorrow! Yes!!!

It would probably only cost Esoteric pennies more to manufacture DVD~As and as I've said MANY MANY TIMES ... spend a little less on frilly packaging and put the money where it belongs ..... into that 5.1 remix!!!!!!!
I'd definitely trade the postcards and/or poster for an MLP version.

Mine’s in Pittsburgh, expected delivery is Saturday. But I live 2 1/2 hours away in Northeast, Ohio. I don’t understand why it will take this long. Is this because the Browns beat the Steelers in the playoffs? 😂
Payback's a bitch....

Mine is out for delivery today from Import CD

Last edited:
Other tidbits.... whether of his choosing or not... his most popular LP covers are all by Hipgnosis. The same agency that created most of the Pink Floyd covers. There is a US compilation album called Al Stewart - The Early Years that has a beautiful gatefold full width cover by Hipgnosis. Hipgnosis did YOTC and Time passages and Modern Times covers. All of them wonderful album art.
I'm sure you're familiar with this title, but just in case....
https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Album-Cover-Art-Hipgnosis/dp/0500519323

Back