HiRez Poll Alan Parsons Project, The - AMMONIA AVENUE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Alan Parsons Project - AMMONIA AVENUE

• Total voters
Got my yesterday from Cherry Red, not ready to give it a vote yet. Surround is fantastic, but I found the vocals a little under whelming. I had to turn up the center channel to get close to the terrific backing vocals and instruments.
I am trying a few listening modes to see what works best.
Let me clarify that I was referring to the lead vocals only--the back up vocals are very strong. After much listening, I found my perfect setup. Boosting the left front channel a few decibels and playing the lpcm 5.1 audio through DTS + Neural:X conversion-- I am loving this disc.
I guess the isolation at home has gotten to me, 2 more copies of Ammonia Avenue came today-- one for each bedroomšŸ˜‚

Surround is fantastic, but I found the vocals a little under whelming. I had to turn up the center channel to get close to the terrific backing vocals and instruments.

That's a really interesting critique. Alan is on the record saying he prefers not use the center channel because it was originally intended only for film mixing (specifically dialog) rather than music. I haven't heard this one yet, but all his past surround mixes (On Air, Eye In The Sky, The Secret, etc) have barely anything going on in the center - just a faint doubling of what's in the fronts.

That's a really interesting critique. Alan is on the record saying he prefers not use the center channel because it was originally intended only for film mixing (specifically dialog) rather than music. I haven't heard this one yet, but all his past surround mixes (On Air, Eye In The Sky, The Secret, etc) have barely anything going on in the center - just a faint doubling of what's in the fronts.
I thought it was the center channel, because that's usually where it would come from, but I found it was the left front channel. You are correct-- center was not the culprit.

Many thanks to Alan Parsons for making his great music available in surround and in a stand alone version (what a deal)! The album is classic and the mix is ...."nice, real nice". Gets a 10 from me. Alan if your listening, God bless you, your family and your musical families as well.

Love it. First bought the album on the day of release. If I remember rightly, one of the first new release albums I ever got in the CD format. This new surround mix is a 10, like the other Alan Parsons mixes it is demo class surround. As others have said a little bright and sharp in places, but not enough to knock the vote down.

Great surround mix! Also some great tunes... favorites for me include ā€œPrime Timeā€, ā€œDonā€™t Answer Meā€, and ā€œAmmonia Avenueā€. My only slight quibble is that I find the vocals bordering on too loud in the mix on a few tunes (not quite as distracting as they are on ā€œThe Secretā€, however)... maybe thatā€™s how they were in the original stereo mix (Iā€™ve never heard it). I give this 3 for the mix, 2 for content, and 3 for fidelity.. 8.

edit: I forgot a bonus point for making this available as a single blu-ray, so upping my vote to 9 :)

Last edited:
Solid DR numbers.

foobar2000 1.5.2 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2020-04-10 14:46:28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: The Alan Parsons Project / Ammonia Avenue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR12 -0.10 dB -14.74 dB 5:07 01/17-Prime Time
DR12 -0.10 dB -13.54 dB 3:22 02/17-Let Me Go Home
DR11 -0.10 dB -14.12 dB 3:37 03/17-One Good Reason
DR11 -0.10 dB -14.43 dB 4:38 04/17-Since The Last Goodbye
DR11 -0.10 dB -14.08 dB 4:12 05/17-Don't Answer Me
DR12 -0.10 dB -15.61 dB 4:25 06-Dancing On A Highwire
DR11 -0.10 dB -12.60 dB 4:28 07-You Don't Believe
DR11 -0.10 dB -12.62 dB 3:58 08/17-Pipeline
DR11 -0.10 dB -15.46 dB 6:39 09/17-Ammonia Avenue

Number of tracks: 9
Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 6
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 3765 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Surround Album Review ~ Ammonia Avenue

Good review, Mike. I've only listened once so far, so I need a few more listens before I review. However, one thing that I noticed is that I had the same thoughts as you regarding content. I've never owned the album before. The only song I was familiar with was "Don't Answer Me" which was all over the radio and MTV my senior year of high school. (Yes kids, there was once a time when MTV would show music!) On first listen, I found myself not liking a lot of the tunes. However, the three songs you mentioned as your favorites ("Don't Answer Me", "Ammonia Avenue" and "Pipeline") were also the ones that I found I liked the most. The mix, of course, is up to Alan's usual high standards.

Even though I was always a big fan of APP, this album somehow fell through the cracks and I never bought it. I was familiar with a few songs via MTV, compilations, etc.; but never heard the entire record. But at about 12 bucks, it was a no-brainer. First of all, this a very good collection of songs! Still not up there with their '70's stuff (at least for me), but I'm glad to add it to my collection. Sonically, I always equated an APP record with a Steely Dan record. You can just hear how much attention went into their production. That pristine sound from the vinyl days is very much apparent on this Blu-ray. The fidelity is just outstanding. As far as the mix, I can't really find fault with a single thing. Very well balanced and a typical work from Alan Parsons. Some other reviews mentioned the sound being a little bright, and I almost want to agree with that, but it's not quite to the level that I would deduct points. I'll give it a solid 9. Now, I hope what I read above is true and the next release will be I Robot. That's probably my favorite APP album and one I've been waiting for since these re-issues started. (y)

On my meager system this sounds superb. Listening to APP such as this always takes me back in time and gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. (there's my obligatory "feeling"stuff)
But seriously, folks, I personally could not ask for better. Always at the end of the disc I'm thinking, already?
I had to give it a 10. After the letdown (for me) of The Secret, this is just what I needed from the exquisite talent of Mr. Parsons.
Come on Alan, I'm not getting any damn younger....let's get I Robot out soon, please.

Good review, Mike. I've only listened once so far, so I need a few more listens before I review. However, one thing that I noticed is that I had the same thoughts as you regarding content. I've never owned the album before. The only song I was familiar with was "Don't Answer Me" which was all over the radio and MTV my senior year of high school. (Yes kids, there was once a time when MTV would show music!) On first listen, I found myself not liking a lot of the tunes. However, the three songs you mentioned as your favorites ("Don't Answer Me", "Ammonia Avenue" and "Pipeline") were also the ones that I found I liked the most. The mix, of course, is up to Alan's usual high standards.

Ammonia Avenue suffers from the big-hit-syndrome of the previous album, Eye In The Sky, and the relative weakness of AA is that it tries to repeat the winning formula of EYTS, something APP never did that before, every album had a style peculiar to that album and never replicated before or since. Nice try, not so stellar results.
Haven't got the BR yet, here the shipping of anything is pretty funky these days, and it will be my first upgrade to the original 1983 cd - got it in CD format since the start, without passing thru LP or tape, other than a promo 12" of Prime Time.
What i really expect is Friendly Card on 5.1.

I've listened to mine 3 or 4 times now since I got it a few days back.
I love it! I gave it a 9 only due to the very slight brightness/edgyness I heard but probably no way around it. I hear the same in the original 1984 recording.
The rest as close to perfect as possible, Alan's 5.1 mixing skills just keep getting better.
Hugh thanks to Alan Parsons, Eric Woolfson, and everyone involved in the project.
booklet 3&4.jpg

Ammonia Avenue suffers from the big-hit-syndrome of the previous album, Eye In The Sky, and the relative weakness of AA is that it tries to repeat the winning formula of EYTS, something APP never did that before, every album had a style peculiar to that album and never replicated before or since. Nice try, not so stellar results.
Haven't got the BR yet, here the shipping of anything is pretty funky these days, and it will be my first upgrade to the original 1983 cd - got it in CD format since the start, without passing thru LP or tape, other than a promo 12" of Prime Time.
What i really expect is Friendly Card on 5.1.
I disagree with your assessment. ;)

Back