• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Alan Parsons Project, The - AMMONIA AVENUE [Blu-Ray Audio]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the BDA of the Alan Parsons Project - AMMONIA AVENUE

• Total voters

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I keep expecting to see posts from people who have listened to this disc.
to me the surround mix is fabulous, nothing gimmicky, everything works in its place in the soundfield (and predictable as it may seem, almost as expected) Alan Parsons delivers the goods.

sounds a bit on the bright side, maybe.. i'm not ready to vote yet but veering into "8" / "9" territory right now and can only see that score holding, or possibly even raising with repeated plays.

edit: placeholder "9" vote cast.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
the surround mix is simply fabulous, nothing gimmicky, everything works in its place in the soundfield (and predictable as it may seem, almost as expected) Alan Parsons delivers the goods.

sounds a bit on the bright side, maybe.. i'm not ready to vote yet but veering into "8" / "9" territory right now and can only see that score holding, or possibly raising with repeated plays.
and a few ports. lmao

beerking

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Nah, you should never think like that. It'll never happen in a Poll thread nowadays. Oh, back in the day, sure, but today it's all about "has it shipped yet?", "I can't find a link", "my dog's eaten it". Shameful! 😞
Not forgetting....'Does my arse look big in this ?'!! :)

Last edited:

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I voted 10. I really like this one a lot. Great music and surround. Menu is simple and direct. I have not been an Alan Parsons fan except for the radio hits back in the day, but I have highly enjoyed all of his surround releases of the last few years, super good quality.

WBP

I'm going with a 9 - its another solid release , sounds great very much in keeping with the other APP releases in 5.1 , highlights for me are Prime Time , Pipeline and Ammonia Avenue , I like the menu, simplistic but cool , lets hope the other APP albums all get released in this format , Alan is obviously a big admirer of the format

Rxbob

QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2020 reissue of the classic album "Ammonia Avenue" by the Alan Parsons Project.
Mixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons himself, the 5.1 mix is available in both the deluxe edition box set and as a single-disc Blu-Ray release.

(y) :) (n)

Got my yesterday from Cherry Red, not ready to give it a vote yet. Surround is fantastic, but I found the vocals a little under whelming. I had to turn up the center channel to get close to the terrific backing vocals and instruments.
I am trying a few listening modes to see what works best.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I'm going with a 9 - its another solid release , sounds great very much in keeping with the other APP releases in 5.1 , highlights for me are Prime Time , Pipeline and Ammonia Avenue , I like the menu, simplistic but cool , lets hope the other APP albums all get released in this format , Alan is obviously a big admirer of the format
Alan's next surround mix will, in fact, be I Robot. Much Anticipated.

omega4

QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I received the single blu-ray from Cherry Red earlier this week. I had been listening to Turn of The Cards for a few days prior then this arrived and completely blew away that album. Of course, they are not really comparable as Turn is only DTS and, as covered elsewhere, probably only half discrete, and also an album from the 1970s. I absolutely love Renaissance's music but in terms of surround and plain sound quality Ammonia Avenue is Premier League compared to Renaissance mid-table Championship (sorry for the UK football/soccer references). For me this is proper demonstration quality. And I had never heard the album previously. It's what 5.1 was developed for (in my opinion anyway!)

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Got my yesterday from Cherry Red, not ready to give it a vote yet. Surround is fantastic, but I found the vocals a little under whelming. I had to turn up the center channel to get close to the terrific backing vocals and instruments.
I am trying a few listening modes to see what works best.
Wow, I get the opposite impression... I wish the lead vocals were slightly less hot! Don't get me wrong, I think the mix sounds great, I think it's just a personal preference of mine. (Actually, now that I read your comment again, maybe we're saying the same thing?) I don't know... great music, great surround mix, I'm glad to have it!

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Wow, I get the opposite impression... I wish the lead vocals were slightly less hot! Don't get me wrong, I think the mix sounds great, I think it's just a personal preference of mine. (Actually, now that I read your comment again, maybe we're saying the same thing?) I don't know... great music, great surround mix, I'm glad to have it!
Also besides personal preference there is a possibility of equipment vs equipment as that is something that none of us are equal at. Not to mention hearing, my ears react negatively to highs rather than lows.

Mesozoic Mike

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Has anybody here ordered the disc from Cherry Red and have received shipping confirmation? I pre-ordered and the status of my order is still “pending”
After not hearing from them, I emailed and they did answer me as to when the disc was shipped. I received mine one week after shipping date.

Group builder