Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card (Box Set in Feb 2023, standalone Blu-Ray in May)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't purchased this title as of yet, but for reference here is a screen shot of Games People Play and Time from the 192/24 Stereo HDAD. The excellent dynamic range is readily apparent from the waveforms. It would be interesting to see the waveforms for the 5.1 of these songs on the new release.

View attachment 89334
The waveforms don't tell the full story. Despite being dynamic, I think this remaster doesn't sound very good. It's not even close to the excellent HDAD release.
I even prefer the 2015 CD remaster to this one, which is just mid centric, thin. I'm disappointed with this remaster.

The 5.1 is limited and has clipping, but it sounds better. Still too bright to my tastes (and the great bass lines are not as present as I like), but still better than the 2023 stereo remaster.
As a background, I own all the digital releases that are available of this album, and I know them well. My ranking would be HDAD, then old Arista CD, then 2015 remaster, this is the last one.

As a background, I own all the digital releases that are available of this album, and I know them well. My ranking would be HDAD, then old Arista CD, then 2015 remaster, this is the last one.

The Arista compilation release was the first CD that I ever bought. It is truly an example of the good sound that can be achieved with 44/16 redbook CDs. APP Games People Play is on it.

Well I finally placed my order with Cherry for the BD only, I was afaid it might sell out.
How could I say no for only $20.53 US shipped?
Now all I have to do is wait. :unsure:
Yeah, I was waiting for it to show up on Amazon, but that's a reasonable price so I place a preorder there as well.

this remaster doesn't sound very good. It's not even close to the excellent HDAD release.
I even prefer the 2015 CD remaster to this one, which is just mid centric, thin. I'm disappointed with this remaster.
So "this remaster" is the new hi-res version? Because I've seen it said that the new CD sounds like the 2015 version.

Read my post. The Blu ray has a new remaster.
Gotcha. I seem to remember reading when this set was announced that CD1 featured a new “2023 remaster” but now I’m just seeing “Turn of a Friendly Card Remastered”.

So even the hi-res stereo mix on the Blu-ray here is compressed and thin? Compared to the HDAD, correct?

Gotcha. I seem to remember reading when this set was announced that CD1 featured a new “2023 remaster” but now I’m just seeing “Turn of a Friendly Card Remastered”.

So even the hi-res stereo mix on the Blu-ray here is compressed and thin? Compared to the HDAD, correct?
The hi-res stereo remaster on the blu-ray does not seem compressed, and it's definitely not limited. I don't like the tonality of this remaster. In my view, it is too bright and lacks in bass.
The remaster on CD 1 is the 2015, so a bit of compression. It's also a tad bright but the tonality is much better. Overall it sounds better.
The HDAD is very laid-back sounding. Compared to these two, it almost sounds muted! :) :) But I much prefer it.

Just ordered the Blu Ray only at least It will look Good on the shelf next to the others.

The Barclay James Harvest surround discs are all over the place format wise from digipacks to box sets in various sizes

The set arrived yesterday. Disappointed on its contents and will probably sell once the stand alone releases. The jacket holding the discs is really flimsy and the Blu-ray was dislodged and sitting upside down in it, along with CD2.

Just gave it a first listen with my girlfriend on moderate to high volume. Neither of us noticed anything too annoyingly bright but I would not even consider myself an audiophile by any means. I like to know I’m getting good sound (SACD, hi-res lossless on Blu-ray) but I still enjoy listening to Spotify over Bluetooth headphones which is the main way I’ve been listening to this album up to this point. My only other copy being a really beat up original vinyl I got for 1 dollar.

I would have to say this is the best I’ve heard this album sound. Had little to no issue with the bass and the rears were used tastefully. Loved hearing David Paton’s bass playing, lots of neat slides and use of the higher register.

Nothing Left to Lose, my favourite song on the album gave me goosebumps. My girlfriend, who has loved this album longer than I have, said she had goosebumps almost the entire time.

If you’re a fan of the album I think you’ll be satisfied, in my opinion of course!

Last edited:
The set arrived yesterday. Disappointed on its contents and will probably sell once the stand alone releases. The jacket holding the discs is really flimsy and the Blu-ray was dislodged and sitting upside down in it, along CD2.

Just gave it a first listen with my girlfriend on moderate to high volume. Neither of us noticed anything too annoyingly bright but I would not even consider myself an audiophile by any means. I like to know I’m getting good sound (SACD, hi-res lossless on Blu-ray) but I still enjoy listening to Spotify over Bluetooth headphones which is the main way I’ve been listening to this album up to this point. My only other copy being a really beat up original vinyl I got for 1 dollar.

I would have to say this is the best I’ve heard this album sound. Had little to no issue with the bass and the rears were used tastefully. Loved hearing David Paton’s bass playing, lots of neat slides and use of the higher register.

Nothing Left to Lose, my favourite song on the album gave me goosebumps. My girlfriend, who has loved this album longer than I have, said she had goosebumps almost the entire time.

If you’re a fan of the album I think you’ll be satisfied, in my opinion of course!
Alright!!

Back