Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a magical album for me. I get a kick out of the numerous fills in the arrangement that were often smothered in the stereo sandwich of the original releases.The album properly breathes in the headspace of my front-room and expels.....oh FFS.
It's great; ok?

It was! I'd forgotten all about that one! :eek: How is the surround mix?

The fidelity of the 5.1 mix on the Eat A Peach SACD is nice, but the mix itself is pretty dull. Especially in comparison to the very active quad mix, which was done by QQ's own Ovie Sparks, aka elpaladin.

The fidelity of the 5.1 mix on the Eat A Peach SACD is nice, but the mix itself is pretty dull. Especially in comparison to the very active quad mix, which was done by QQ's own Ovie Sparks, aka elpaladin.

I love the Quad mix (much better than the SACD 5.1 mix), but the only version I've heard is a Quad Reel-to-Reel to DTS conversion, which has a somewhat dull, muddy overall sound. Wouldn't it be fantastic to hear a new Quad transfer from the original multis!

I love the Quad mix (much better than the SACD 5.1 mix), but the only version I've heard is a Quad Reel-to-Reel to DTS conversion, which has a somewhat dull, muddy overall sound. Wouldn't it be fantastic to hear a new Quad transfer from the original multis!

Yummy.. never even heard the Quad (or if I have its another one I'd forgotten all about.. :eek: )

I've had this disc since release...never listened to it much really. Today, I finally decided to rip the blu-ray multi-channel layer. Now, I'm sure something so obvious has likely been discussed......but seriously! Anyone notice that the length of the songs is not accurate? I think it starts with Midnight Rider. Even on the back of the case, it says 2:57 and even in Foobar, at the 2:57 mark, it visually switches down to the next song...but continues playing the last 33 seconds of MIdnight Rider. Odd....as a result, when I ripped it, it added a 12th track so it could continue the last song. WTF??

I've had this disc since release...never listened to it much really. Today, I finally decided to rip the blu-ray multi-channel layer. Now, I'm sure something so obvious has likely been discussed......but seriously! Anyone notice that the length of the songs is not accurate? I think it starts with Midnight Rider. Even on the back of the case, it says 2:57 and even in Foobar, at the 2:57 mark, it visually switches down to the next song...but continues playing the last 33 seconds of MIdnight Rider. Odd....as a result, when I ripped it, it added a 12th track so it could continue the last song. WTF??

Yup! I forget what I did, but the correct chapter list is on there somewhere which I was able to extract with eac3to. Then I ripped the whole thing as a single flac, converted the chapter file to a cue file and used XLD to split it up. If I remember correctly. It was a pain.

I asked about this in the HiRez review section for this album and had no comments.

Yes I have experience the same thing playing the disc not ripping it. The song Midnight Rider as track 3 is the longer version which is suppose to be a bonus track. My bluray player shows track 4 before track 3's music actually ends.

I think it's a great album and enjoy it more than I ever thought I would because I didn't like it in stereo.

For those that were concerned about the initial price of this release, Amazon's secondary marketplace has new copies of this for about $32 shipped. Best price I've seen.

Anyone have a current link to Amazon US listing for this?
Feel like I'm in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
There are 750,000 different editions listed -- one of my many recurrent irritations with Amazon.

Back