"Annie" Broadway Cast - 2009 CD reissue not SQ quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
The original Broadway cast album of "Annie" was originally only released in SQ quad. Some time ago, I found the album in a thrift store (not hard to do) and I decoded it in Adobe Audition. Not really my thing, but it's enjoyable enough. Recently, someone at work had the new CD reissue of "Annie" on Sony Classics. I borrowed the disc and decoded it in Audition. In my opinion, I don't believe this new CD was made from the original SQ encoded tape. There's sound in the rears, but there's nothing really discreet. It's more like the instruments sounding somewhat ambient. Yet the album liner notes don't mention anything about remixing.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this in case this is of interest to anyone.
Also, I have no idea if the older CD of "Annie" decodes correctly or not.

J. D.

Recently, someone at work had the new CD reissue of "Annie" on Sony Classics.
Unlike EMI (and then that was quite a few years ago), I have never found any of Sony/Columbia's CDs to retain the SQ matrix of older recordings. Some of the older EMI/Angel CDs did have the SQ matrix and would play very nicely using Dolby Pro Logic II. Not anything recently that I am aware of.

It's documented that a certain series of early 90s CBS CD releases used the Quad master tapes.

Oh, but I see now you're saying SONY/CBS has no quads. That's different.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if one wants that issue, how is a person suppose to know what they are buying? Obviously, one wants to avoid the ones that say Sony. Also, if the older CBS CDs had the Quad intact, I would like to know how to determine them. Perhaps if one could get a scan of their front cover/booklet, that would help.

Back