Anthony Phillips "The Geese and the Ghost" in 5.1 :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Voyage of the Acolyte by Steve Hackett was also a contender for the best Genesis album that never was and my favourite is Smallcreep's Day (Mike Rutherford) which is a must buy for me if it ever gets done in 5.1. Back to the TGATG, I can hear quite a bit of tape hiss between tracks but maybe it's not surprising given it was recorded on a barge. I need to listen to it more but the Hand.Cannot.Remove another disc from the player.

When this title was announced I was more than pleasantly surprised and shocked as compared to million seller albums that have not been released in surround here is this small title in comparison and it's getting the full meal deal.
Just got it it yesterday and as others have said the packaging is first rate with some great information in the 24 page booklet about this release.
Most importantly the music on this is fantastic and Andy Miles and Simon Heyworth have done a first rate job in getting this music to sound so good into surround as I am sure they would have had many challenges from how these were recorded on the original master tapes as just reading in the booklet the challenges that Anthony Phillips had with the tape machines he was using back then to get the music recorded in the first place.

peter

Mine arrived last night. Gorgeous surround mix. Very happy with it. All in a very nice tidy package. Despite being a huge fan of all things Genesis, I had never checked out any of Anthony's solo material. The 5.1 mix seemed like a good excuse to finally check this album out. You can really hear how much influence he had on the early Genesis material. On the Amazon UK front, it seems like they're picking up a little bit on their delivery speed to the USA. This one took 14 days (I just got Sparkle in the Rain in 7 days.)

Bring on more solo Genesis! Smallcreep's Day; Gabriel III, IV & Us; Mike and The Mechanics, Strictly Inc. I'll take 'em all! And unless my memory fails me, didn't Phil Collins say years ago that his solo albums had mixed into 5.1 and that he was just waiting for the Genesis titles to be released before he put out his? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Face Value did appear on the Warner DVDA MIA lists.

Smallcreeps Day would be terrific. Looking forward to any early Steve Hackett titles too.

Keep Calm and Have Patience

I had pre-ordered mine from Amazon US. Only to eventually tell me it was unavailable....which is weird because they then show it as available from third parties....so cancelled initial order and "re-placed" another order utilizing one of the third party vendors. :banana:

I had pre-ordered mine from Amazon US. Only to eventually tell me it was unavailable....which is weird because they then show it as available from third parties....so cancelled initial order and "re-placed" another order utilizing one of the third party vendors. :banana:

I'm glad I opted for Burning Shed on that one...I almost ordered from amazon but they raised the price right before I was ready to order..it's funny that amazon UK and amazon US operate so differently and don't share the same products...even though they use the same ASIN numbers for their inventory...

Ah heck. I forgot about Burning Shed...I should have ordered from them.

I'm glad I opted for Burning Shed on that one...I almost ordered from amazon but they raised the price right before I was ready to order..it's funny that amazon UK and amazon US operate so differently and don't share the same products...even though they use the same ASIN numbers for their inventory...

Mine arrived yesterday. I decided to give somebody else some business and ordered it March 9th from this NZ vendor fishpond.com. It was $27.84 with free shipping and 19 cents for using PayPal. I honestly had no idea where it would ship from. It came from NZ and was delivered in perfect shape.

Looking today, this release appears unavailable at the moment, sold out? Hope this one sells really well.

Mine arrived yesterday. I decided to give somebody else some business and ordered it March 9th from this NZ vendor fishpond.com. It was $27.84 with free shipping and 19 cents for using PayPal. I honestly had no idea where it would ship from. It came from NZ and was delivered in perfect shape.

Looking today, this release appears unavailable at the moment, sold out? Hope this one sells really well.

They seem to have SACDs too - I have to check that site out....

I am only on my first listen, but this is a great sounding disc. It may be a bit TOO proggy for me overall, but it is certainly interesting stuff. I'll post some comments on the review thread after a few more dedicated listens.

I am only on my first listen, but this is a great sounding disc. It may be a bit TOO proggy for me overall, but it is certainly interesting stuff. I'll post some comments on the review thread after a few more dedicated listens.

Awesome!!!! Which means....I will love it...cannot wait for my copy.

Alright, finally broke down and ordered this. Should be here in a couple days. I've checked it out on youtube since discussion first started here, and I've really enjoyed what I've heard, just kept putting it off. Anyway, I absolutely love early genesis and this seems to fit in well with the Trespass album's style.

Now, only like, what... three more until I'm caught up?

In my view it's arguably his best (it's certainly my favourite) and the surround mix is just stunning: Reference quality and an object lesson in how to mix a more minimal sounding record in surround.

Back