Anthrax “Among The Living” Dolby Atmos Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marplot

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
ANTHRAX's longtime producer Jay Ruston is working on a Dolby Atmos mix of the band's classic third album, 1987's "Among The Living".

The LP, originally produced by Eddie Kramer and ANTHRAX, featured the lineup of singer Joey Belladonna, lead guitarist Dan Spitz, rhythm guitarist Scott Ian, bassist Frank Bello and drummer Charlie Benante.

Building on an underground following with signature tracks such as "I Am The Law", "Caught In A Mosh" and "Indians", "Among The Living" catapulted ANTHRAX to widespread recognition and earned the group's first gold award. It also marked the height of the band's use of horror and comic book inspirations, with the title track and album cover image based on the Stephen King novel "The Stand", "A Skeleton In The Closet" on King's novella "Apt Pupil", and "I Am The Law" on the comic book character Judge Dredd.

ANTHRAX discussed plans for Dolby Atmos mix of "Among The Living" during an appearance earlier today (Thursday, July 28) on SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk". "We have the master tapes, which we didn't even know if they survived that fire or not, but apparently they did," Benante said, referencing the 2008 blaze at a Universal Studios backlot in Hollywood, California in which the master recordings of an estimated 500,000 songs by many of the past century’s marquee musicians were destroyed. "And Jay has been remixing it and I heard some of it and I was just blown away. Like, 'Wow!' Jay played some [of it for me], and I was just, like, 'Dude, this sounds amazing' — as if we did it yesterday."

According to Benante, the idea to do a Dolby Atmos mix of "Among The Living" came from the record company, Universal. "[They] approached us to do it because they've been doing these," he said. "And, of course, they picked that record first. It's gonna be awesome, though."

Ian added: "They had a list, apparently, of the albums that hadn't been done yet in Dolby Atmos and we were high up on that list; they really were interested in doing that with us."

Charlie went on to say that what he has heard so far of Dolby Atmos mix is impressive. "The tones are so awesome, and it's so heavy," he explained.

"[Jay] sent me some guitar tracks when he first got the tapes," Scott added. "He said, 'I'm putting these masters up.' And he sent me guitar tracks from some of the songs. I was, like, 'Holy shit.' He sent me just my 'Caught In A Mosh', just the guitar, and I was, like, 'Wow!' [Laughs]"

https://blabbermouth.net/news/anthr...os-mix-of-among-the-living-album-its-so-heavy

ANTHRAX's longtime producer Jay Ruston is working on a Dolby Atmos mix of the band's classic third album, 1987's "Among The Living".

The LP, originally produced by Eddie Kramer and ANTHRAX, featured the lineup of singer Joey Belladonna, lead guitarist Dan Spitz, rhythm guitarist Scott Ian, bassist Frank Bello and drummer Charlie Benante.

Building on an underground following with signature tracks such as "I Am The Law", "Caught In A Mosh" and "Indians", "Among The Living" catapulted ANTHRAX to widespread recognition and earned the group's first gold award. It also marked the height of the band's use of horror and comic book inspirations, with the title track and album cover image based on the Stephen King novel "The Stand", "A Skeleton In The Closet" on King's novella "Apt Pupil", and "I Am The Law" on the comic book character Judge Dredd.

ANTHRAX discussed plans for Dolby Atmos mix of "Among The Living" during an appearance earlier today (Thursday, July 28) on SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk". "We have the master tapes, which we didn't even know if they survived that fire or not, but apparently they did," Benante said, referencing the 2008 blaze at a Universal Studios backlot in Hollywood, California in which the master recordings of an estimated 500,000 songs by many of the past century’s marquee musicians were destroyed. "And Jay has been remixing it and I heard some of it and I was just blown away. Like, 'Wow!' Jay played some [of it for me], and I was just, like, 'Dude, this sounds amazing' — as if we did it yesterday."

According to Benante, the idea to do a Dolby Atmos mix of "Among The Living" came from the record company, Universal. "[They] approached us to do it because they've been doing these," he said. "And, of course, they picked that record first. It's gonna be awesome, though."

Ian added: "They had a list, apparently, of the albums that hadn't been done yet in Dolby Atmos and we were high up on that list; they really were interested in doing that with us."

Charlie went on to say that what he has heard so far of Dolby Atmos mix is impressive. "The tones are so awesome, and it's so heavy," he explained.

"[Jay] sent me some guitar tracks when he first got the tapes," Scott added. "He said, 'I'm putting these masters up.' And he sent me guitar tracks from some of the songs. I was, like, 'Holy shit.' He sent me just my 'Caught In A Mosh', just the guitar, and I was, like, 'Wow!' [Laughs]"

https://blabbermouth.net/news/anthr...os-mix-of-among-the-living-album-its-so-heavy
Wow…hope there is a physical release 🙏🏼

Great info, yes a hard disc sale would be cool.
Last week I purchased there latest release XL a Greatest Hits.
My favorite album by Anthrax is Sound Of White Noise, different singer than before or after, there are no songs on there new Greatest Hits from Sound Of White Noise, I wonder why? The singer issue? I wonder if they play any of those songs live?
R-828885-1292354360.jpg

R-23897729-1658511812-7002.jpg

My favorite album by Anthrax is Sound Of White Noise, different singer than before or after, there are no songs on there new Greatest Hits from Sound Of White Noise, I wonder why? The singer issue? I wonder if they play any of those songs live?
View attachment 81711
View attachment 81712
They've been playing one from White Noise.

View attachment 81711
View attachment 81712
Wow. That Anthrax album brings back memories.
When I did promotion for Warner Bros. back in the day I worked The Armored Saint album “Symbol of Salvation” because we distributed Metal Blade Records. I was kind of a metal head at the time and loved that record - you should seek it out if you don’t know it. Saw Armored Saint a bunch of times on that tour with my metal head cousin.
Jon Bush then jumped from Armored Saint to make “Sound of White Noise”, which I also loved.
Great guy. We used to bump into each other all the time in NYC in clubs, bars, even in the street.
Those were the days…so long ago I had almost forgotten about them before your post! ⌛

Wow. That Anthrax album brings back memories.
When I did promotion for Warner Bros. back in the day I worked The Armored Saint album “Symbol of Salvation” because we distributed Metal Blade Records. I was kind of a metal head at the time and loved that record - you should seek it out if you don’t know it. Saw Armored Saint a bunch of times on that tour with my metal head cousin.
Jon Bush then jumped from Armored Saint to make “Sound of White Noise”, which I also loved.
Great guy. We used to bump into each other all the time in NYC in clubs, bars, even in the street.
Those were the days…so long ago I had almost forgotten about them before your post! ⌛
Ahh, Metal Blade records, Metallica's original label. I was in a band with some high school friends in CT and our drummer was the brother of the drummer for Fates Warning (also on Metal Blade), and we used to listen to them (Fates Warning) rehearse all the time before any of their albums came out. This would be back in 1983 or so in Newington, CT.

Ahh, Metal Blade records, Metallica's original label. I was in a band with some high school friends in CT and our drummer was the brother of the drummer for Fates Warning (also on Metal Blade), and we used to listen to them (Fates Warning) rehearse all the time before any of their albums came out. This would be back in 1983 or so in Newington, CT.
This made me check out Night On Bröcken - 30+ years later. Had the first two albums on a cassette back then... And caught FW live on tour with Sanctuary in 1990. Wondered why many of the guys have sported AIC caps :)

This made me check out Night On Bröcken - 30+ years later. Had the first two albums on a cassette back then... And caught FW live on tour with Sanctuary in 1990. Wondered why many of the guys have sported AIC caps :)
I still have the first 2 albums on the original release vinyl. Including that horrible Night on Brocken album cover (really bad watercolor painting) that they subsequently replaced on later pressings.

I am very fond of the old thrash bands, and would definitely buy an Atmos physical release of Among The Living, but I don't see the need for anything other than a stereo mix of that stuff. That said, the early Anthrax stuff always had a different tone to me, like brighter than the other thrash biggies. I hope they can change that a bit for a new mix and make the tone a bit more Metallica or Testament-ish.

This would be very cool. Also, it would be the first thrash-metal 5.1 mix. I don't count Megadeth's 'Peace Sells...But Who's Buying' because it's so gawdam terrible.

Back