SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever get the screen saver to work when Apple Music is playing?

Since lyrics were added, this hasn't worked for me. However, it can be set manually.

With this being the tips and tricks thread, here are all the settings for screensaver in AppleTV.

from Apple-

Adjust screensaver settings:
Open Settings
  1. on Apple TV.
  2. Go to General > Screen Saver, then do any of the following:
    • Choose a different screen saver category: Select Type, then select the screen saver category you want to use.
      If you choose Apple Photos, choose one of the photo-based screen saver themes.
    • Show or hide different Aerial themes: Select Themes, then choose any of the screen saver scene types to show or hide. For example, you can hide all underwater scenes.
    • Change the Aerial screen saver download frequency: Select Download New Video, then choose an option.
    • Set the screen saver delay time: Select Start After, then choose a number of minutes. This instructs Apple TV to automatically start the screen saver if the device has been idle for the specified duration.
    • Turn screen savers on or off during playback of music and podcasts: Select Show During Music and Podcasts.
    • Preview a screen saver: Select Preview.

Manually turn on ScreenSaver

You can activate the screen saver manually (before the screen is idle).

• Siri Remote (2nd generation): Press and hold the Back button < to return to the Home Screen, then press the Back button < again.
  • Siri Remote (1st generation): Press and hold the Menu button to return to the Home Screen, then press the Menu button again.
Get location information or switch to another Aerial screen saver

On the Siri Remote, do any of the following when the Aerial screen saver is active:

• Find out what location you’re viewing: Tap the clickpad (second-generation Siri Remote) or touch surface (first-generation Siri Remote). In some screen savers, the location information changes with the viewing area so that specific landmarks are highlighted.
  • Go backward or forward to a different location: Press left or right on the clickpad ring, or swipe left or right on the clickpad (second-generation Siri Remote); or swipe left or right on the touch surface (first-generation Siri Remote).

https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/use-screen-savers-atvbfa799b87/tvos

New to Apple TV?
Want to know more?
Having issues?
Need to tell Apple so they can fix it?

Start at the top of this thread. There's great info here. Get your setup correct using the information provided and ask questions. Many of us have been using an AppleTV for a while. Atmos music in Apple TV is new as of last year, but how to do something or set something up isn't.

Hate bothering people with questions? Rugged individualist in search of knowledge?

RTFM. (Read the Freaking (pg version) Manual.) But wait, where is the FM? Glad you asked:

https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/welcome/tvos
This will get updated with practically every dot release.

What is a dot release?

tvOS (the operating system for AppleTV) has a major update every year, usually in the fall. Throughout the year, minor updates happen, which iterate tvOS as such: 15.0, 15.1, 15.2, etc. These are dot releases. The current, as of this writing, is 15.3

Troubleshooting:

After you are done with settings- Start with cables and configuration (AppleTV, receiver/sound bar, TV/projector) first. 90% of issues get solved there. Most issues I run into are actually in the video side- where a TV can do Dolby Vision, the Apple TV can do Dolby Vision, and it doesn't work.

examples:
Many Sony TV's only support Dolby Vision on hdmi connections 3 and 4, and it must be manually enabled in the TV settings.

TCL TV's have a setting to set HDMI version per input

Modern Denon and Marantz receivers have a hidden service menu to expand hdmi bandwidth that sometimes helps in removing color banding issues, allows for setting the specific hdcp version for an input (useful with old projectors) and allows you to use the actual receiver to check hdmi cables (functionality and bandwidth)

These are just a few examples of how much additional tweaking is needed to get HDMI to work right these days.

if you still have issues: three routes

Open a ticket with Apple Support

https://support.apple.com
You can chat, call, or email.

1 describe the issue in DETAIL
2.describe your setup, in DETAIL!!! Equipment, how it's connected, settings used. Hate writing? Take screenshots! Also cables in use if you know what they are. This is important because hdmi copy protection, hdmi version, and EDID syncs to the weakest link in your gear chain. So if you have a $30k 2022 Atmos processor and a 12 yr old 1080p projector that only does hdmi 1.3, you can have hdcp issues.
3. Steps to replicate the problem- details counts.
4. Tell them what the expected behavior should be.

The second route:

tvOS also has a beta program, for those brave enough to test for everyone else.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram
I might as well tell you what a beta is while you are here- before software is officially released and supported, it's a means for brave souls to test it before everyone else gets it. It's like being an astronaut... except you are flying test code instead.

Sometimes, an issue may be fixed in a latest beta, and it is free to join. BUT... you are testing code that hasn't been fully qualified for release to everyone, so there may be rough edges. Most times it's really good, but if you find an issue, you can always roll back to the current release by removing your device from the beta program.

The third route:

Found an issue? Something isn't working and you have troubleshot it down to the AppleTV and how it communicates with something else?

Don't roll back yet! PLEASE SAY SOMETHING! You get no bonus points for suffering in silence. Ask if others have seen it. Then, go here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/
1 describe the issue (one sentence)
2.describe your setup, in DETAIL!!! Equipment, how it's connected, settings used. Hate writing? Take screenshots! Also cables in use if you know what they are. This is important because hdmi copy protection, hdmi version, and EDID syncs to the weakest link in your gear chain. So if you have a $30k 2022 Atmos processor and a 12 yr old 1080p projector that only does hdmi 1.3, you can have hdcp issues.
3. Steps to replicate the problem- details counts.
4. Tell them what the expected behavior should be.
5. Screen shots, audio clips, etc
6. Send device diagnostics- see the beta program for more details in that.

The more information they have, the better the chances for a fix.

If others are having the same issue:get them to provide feedback as well!

Your voice counts! The more people who provide information on an issue, the better the chances EVERYONE has for a quick turnaround. It's never guaranteed, but a great example was a Dolby Audio (4.0/5.1) playback issue which was fixed because we (and others like folks in AVS forum) all provided feedback. It was fixed in the next dot release and many folks here ran the public beta to get it early.

Hope all this info helps and let all of us know if you need a hand.

-Edited 2/26 to include Apple Support

Last edited:
Just got the new update of 15.4 and I am still perplexed by one thing. Sometimes the album plays fine if you start playing it from start to finish. Other times it will cut off the first second of a track and then you have to go back and restart the track. Also, this still needs to be done at the beginning of the album as well. You have to play it for 5 seconds or so and then reverse back to the beginning. I am still playing the 5.1 of ATMOS through my Oppo using HDMI.

Just got the new update of 15.4 and I am still perplexed by one thing. Sometimes the album plays fine if you start playing it from start to finish. Other times it will cut off the first second of a track and then you have to go back and restart the track. Also, this still needs to be done at the beginning of the album as well. You have to play it for 5 seconds or so and then reverse back to the beginning. I am still playing the 5.1 of ATMOS through my Oppo using HDMI.
Same here, 5 seconds of channel dropout/inconsistency whenever selecting a new album. Thankfully this doesn’t happen when tracks play through. Apple TV 4K 2nd Gen > 5.1 HDMI audio extractor.

Somewhat relieved to hear that it likely isn’t the extractor since you are reporting this on an Oppo.

Bob,

Bob and Classic,

I added one more critical item to my last post- call, email, chat Apple support. If they know there's an issue, then there's a chance for a fix.

I'm HDMI direct connected and not seeing this issue-
ATV4kg2>>Denon AVR-6700
ATV4kg1>>Marantz NR1609

Question- What happens when you set the audio settings in the ATV to 5.1 output vs Atmos? Any change?

Bob,

Bob and Classic,

I added one more critical item to my last post- call, email, chat Apple support. If they know there's an issue, then there's a chance for a fix.

I'm HDMI direct connected and not seeing this issue-
ATV4kg2>>Denon AVR-6700
ATV4kg1>>Marantz NR1609

Question- What happens when you set the audio settings in the ATV to 5.1 output vs Atmos? Any change?
To be sure, I am quite happy with the performance of the lossless LPCM sent to my extractor from the ATV, just concurring with the minor initialization that Atmos albums go through when selecting them. I would have to move some wires around to decode DD 5.1 from my ATV, rather than LPCM, but considering DD is lossy I’d rather live with this minor convenience even if DD solved it.

Ive had my Apple TV for about 6 months. its Output is fed by hdmi to a Marantz 8012 AVR which sends the signal on to a LG smart display.

the APPLE tv remote works great, turns on all components and controls the AVR volume. I’ve really loved how nicely everything integrates.

About two months ago, when turning off all components using the Apple remote, 30 secs to a couple of minutes later, the LG and the Marantz turn back on! The little pilot lite on the Apple TV that you see when in use remains dark. at this point, I use the LG remote power button and it successfully turns off both the LG and the Marantz, and they stay that way.

it doesnt happen every time, but often enough, and it’s delayed enough that I’ll leave for work in the morning after powering off, and come back in the evening with the tv on.

i Googled this and there are numerous suggested fixes for this, and I’ve tried all of them to no avail.

The only thing that I notice is that the APPLE tv remote requires that you hold the on/ off button a couple of seconds for it to work, more than what you need to hold for a conventional remote.

I don’t know if it’s coincidence, but when I try very hard to hold the on/off for the shortest, but effective, amount of time, this issue doesn’t occur? My theory is that if you hold the button too long, it send an off signal, followed by an unintended delayed on signal?

To be sure, I am quite happy with the performance of the lossless LPCM sent to my extractor from the ATV, just concurring with the minor initialization that Atmos albums go through when selecting them. I would have to move some wires around to decode DD 5.1 from my ATV, rather than LPCM, but considering DD is lossy I’d rather live with this minor convenience even if DD solved it.

Classic,

Apologies- I didn't mean swapping hardware, but flipping the settings in the AppleTV to decode 5.1 vs Atmos.

Just curious if the behavior changes.

Classic,

Apologies- I didn't mean swapping hardware, but flipping the settings in the AppleTV to decode 5.1 vs Atmos.

Just curious if the behavior changes.
No problem - to clarify, the options are to have ATV send lossless LPCM or lossy un-decoded DD 5.1. Also I should say I don’t own an AVR - and avoiding one has been something of an obsession - so for me that would necessitate some rewiring on the receiving end since my HDMI audio extractor does not decode DD, and also may not pass it digitally except in stereo (I would need to check that). I am currently decoding DD sources (ie. over the air TV) with a vintage Marantz DP870 stand-alone decoder.

Current set up then is ATV > generic 5.1 HDMI audio extractor > Audio Refinement Pre-5 analog multichannel preamp.

About two months ago, when turning off all components using the Apple remote, 30 secs to a couple of minutes later, the LG and the Marantz turn back on!

That sounds you have multiple devices trying to control power on power off.

I had a similar issue with my Epson projector and the answer was to turn off cec, unplug the hdmi connections for each device, unplug power for each device for 10 mins, replug everything, plug hdmi back in, power everything up and turn cec on, one at a time, starting with the Apple TV, then the Marantz, then your tv. I don't know what the cec settings are for the LG, but make sure it isn't set to control power for other devices.
No problem - to clarify, the options are to have ATV send lossless LPCM or lossy un-decoded DD 5.1. Also I should say I don’t own an AVR - and avoiding one has been something of an obsession - so for me that would necessitate some rewiring on the receiving end since my HDMI audio extractor does not decode DD, and also may not pass it digitally except in stereo (I would need to check that). I am currently decoding DD sources (ie. over the air TV) with a vintage Marantz DP870 stand-alone decoder.

Current set up then is ATV > generic 5.1 HDMI audio extractor > Audio Refinement Pre-5 analog multichannel preamp.

There is one more option:

Try these settings:

settings>>video and audio>>audio format>>change audio Off

AND

settings>>video and audio>>audio format>>Dolby Atmos Off

this should retain the multichannel PCM without passing the Dolby MAT used for Atmos

Ive had my Apple TV for about 6 months. its Output is fed by hdmi to a Marantz 8012 AVR which sends the signal on to a LG smart display.

the APPLE tv remote works great, turns on all components and controls the AVR volume. I’ve really loved how nicely everything integrates.

About two months ago, when turning off all components using the Apple remote, 30 secs to a couple of minutes later, the LG and the Marantz turn back on! The little pilot lite on the Apple TV that you see when in use remains dark. at this point, I use the LG remote power button and it successfully turns off both the LG and the Marantz, and they stay that way.

it doesnt happen every time, but often enough, and it’s delayed enough that I’ll leave for work in the morning after powering off, and come back in the evening with the tv on.

i Googled this and there are numerous suggested fixes for this, and I’ve tried all of them to no avail.

The only thing that I notice is that the APPLE tv remote requires that you hold the on/ off button a couple of seconds for it to work, more than what you need to hold for a conventional remote.

I don’t know if it’s coincidence, but when I try very hard to hold the on/off for the shortest, but effective, amount of time, this issue doesn’t occur? My theory is that if you hold the button too long, it send an off signal, followed by an unintended delayed on signal?

Ephi,

I do agree it's possible that if you hold it longer, it sends the CEC command twice- iirc the command is a toggle, then the first time it's off and the second time on. I can't explain the multi minute delay though.

I personally despise CEC because it's just smart enough to work and too dumb to be diagnosed in depth. Turn off CEC, unplug everything, remove power, wait 10 mins for reset, add things back in slowly, pray-drives me nuts as a troubleshooting step.

I bought an new Apple 4K box a couple weeks ago and set it up connecting it to the AVR. I played with apple music and have not touched it since. Last week my LG OLED TV started shutting off. I was using another source input and was a little concerned thinking the TV might be failing. The timing of the shut off was well before what is programed into the TV to do so as a screen saver and it was being used which would prevent the screen saver. Over the weekend I noticed that when it shut off again that the white light on the Apple box lit up and the turned off when the TV did. I looked at the remote to verify nothing was resting on it like a magazine and sure enough no.
I have since unplugged the HDMI cable to the Apple box so it cannot talk to all it's computer friends connected to the AVR and have not had the TV shutting off. I have not gone back into the settings to dig into it further. I am sure i missed a setting during the install as I was focusing on what to do for Atmos playback, ya that as al I need, Atmos!
Anyway, I thought I would mention it in case anyone else runs into this happening

Yeah, CECs stability is highly questionable. I like the latest ATV remote and turned on CEC to control receiver volume so I only need the one remote. A couple times a week, CEC will move the receiver input from ATV to the radio tuner while I’m adjusting volume.:rolleyes: You just have to weigh out which pisses you off the least, using two remotes or changing the input back.:unsure:

Yeah, CECs stability is highly questionable. I like the latest ATV remote and turned on CEC to control receiver volume so I only need the one remote. A couple times a week, CEC will move the receiver input from ATV to the radio tuner while I’m adjusting volume.:rolleyes: You just have to weigh out which pisses you off the least, using two remotes or changing the input back.:unsure:
Of course, the real answer is to use a universal remote (moment of silence, please, for the late, lamented Logitech Harmony). :D

Of course, the real answer is to use a universal remote (moment of silence, please, for the late, lamented Logitech Harmony). :D

Amen.

But...

They still work.

And Best Buy keeps selling them.
And Logitech has said they will support the Harmony backend infrastructure as long as people use them.

I will use a harmony until the day I die (or their servers do, whichever comes first)...

Or something better comes along (but CEC isn't it.)

I've used Logitech Harmony's for many years, and I just bought 2 Harmony Elite remotes. One used and one as new. They're easy to set up and is working great. :cool: Still I'm using the ATV remote to change the volume on my AVR without problem.

Back