Beatles with Tony Sheridan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
There was this LP my son found, and thought I would like it- The titles is "The amazing Beatles" and other great English groups sounds"
One Beatles tune
3 Beatles songs with Tony Sheridan and the rest by a band called the Swallows? sd601.jpgsd601-l.jpg

any clues as to who the Swallows are?

There are many variations of the LP from way back to the '60s. "Ain't She Sweet" was released by ATCO on 45 and LP with these Tony Sheridan tracks. Recorded in Hamburg before they became famous and released to the world after.

"Ain't She Sweet" is a decent rocker with a Lennon vocal, and "Cry for a Shadow" is the only Lennon-Harrison published composition (instrumental)

As for the Swallows, I have no idea at all. Maybe QL knows. :)

If Bruce Spizer doesn't know, then we'll probably never know.

http://www.beatle.net/remember-the-titans/

(read Bruce's post about The Swallows in the comments)

J. D.

After a search, I have come to 'guess" they are just a studio band, doing cover tunes- If you knew the "folks" who had owned this, it would be clear to you also, why-who-and what.

Perhaps I can shed some light on this. As to the Swallows, they are likely a US group (studio musicians?) that Atlantic/Atco put together for this issue. I have several dozen books on the Beatles, many listing vinyl issues and recording sessions. I'll further research this and report back if I find anything further on the Swallows

The Amazing Beatles, Clarion 601 (mono)/SD 601 (electronically re-channelled stereo). It was the first release on Atlantic's Clarion label. The Beatles/Sheridan material has appeared many times on Polydor, MGM, Atco, Pickwick, and Savage. Many articles and record guides refer to the Clarion release as a bootleg. IT IS NOT! Counterfeits may exist, however! Clarion was a wholly-owned budget imprint of Atlantic/Atco. They released 21 titles in total.

The Beatles & Swallows tracks on the Clarion release repeat those released on Atco's 1964 "Ain't She Sweet" 33-169 (mono)/SD 33-169 (electronically re-channelled stereo), albeit in a different track order: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain't_She_Sweet_(album) It was Atlantic's own "cash-in" release of the early Beatles tracks, similar to MGM's, which Bruce Spizer alludes to in his article. BTW: I met Bruce several years ago at Beatlefest.

There is currently a stereo issue on Amazon.com for $150. There are two other listings currently on Amazon, at $25 & $35, respectively. Ebay lists 6 copies from $333 (sealed stereo) - $25.

Stereo pressings of this usually command a significantly higher price, since few kids had Stereo back then (except me.) IF it were counterfeited, the stereo would be more likely, since few of them were pressed originally (reportedly 1000 mono copies for each stereo copy.) It was also reputed that the last pressing of the Clarion reissue did not completely sell through, and many of them were destroyed, ala Atari games. Check your local landfill! :smokin

The mono label would be red (instead of green) on top, white and blue (instead of orange/gold) on bottom. Green, white and gold/orange labels were used for stereo pressings.

The back cover has three variations:
1: back cover lists the song titles and shows a "British flag" mock-up of the Amazing Beatles album;
2: lists the song titles and shows the correct cover to this LP, instead of the Union Jack mock-up;
3: back cover is "generic," listing no titles or catalog number.
The generic back cover is by far the most scarce, showing a list of "Great Artists from the Clarion Catalogue" (Ben E. King, Coasters, etc.)

Oddly, the Atco version of Ain't She Sweet is the one released on Anthology, Vol. 1. Atco reportedly "sweetened" that track with session drummer Bernard "Pretty" Purdie. Pete Best was the Beatles drummer on the original recording. I've met Pete and I understand completely why Ringo was a better choice. Perhaps they used the Atco version to avoid paying Pete royalties.

The name "Beat Brothers" was the original name used on the German Sheridan recordings BECAUSE Beatles sounded too much like the German slang for penis (peedle.)

My son has the Pickwick version of this and "My Bonnie" and the break in it explains what the excitement was all about with The Beatles in those early years. They just kick as*. The quality of the recording and presentation on that particular pressing has something to do with it. I don't get quite the same effect from the Anthology version.

Doug

While collectible, neither stereo edition (including the original, Atco SD 33-169) was true stereo; at the very least the Beatles tracks were rechanneled, as Polydor apparently sent only mono tapes to Atco and MGM. These tracks were later issued in stereo by Polydor and are generally found that way on most reissues of this material. As for the Swallows, like MGM's Titans, doubtless a NYC collection of union studio musicians who played faux Invasion sounds so the label could have enough tracks for a full album, since by 1964 America had all but abandoned the EP format.

ED :)

Leevitalone, Hey looking in my handy dandy Beatles Price guide circa 2012 - it was Worth in MINT condition 50 percent cover and 50 percent album - 200 US Dollars

Clarion 601 - Mono Oct 1966

drop it down to 60 to 75 percent of that for Near Mint
and

4o to 60 percent for VG++

guide is 2 years old - hell SNood thought it was only a year old - wow how time flies :yikes

Have no listing on stereo - weird

It's interesting, though, that the Atco Lp went out of print fairly quickly, soon replaced by the Clarion budget repackage, which was also as short-lived as the label. However, as I have both pressings of 601 (in fact, bought the stereo edition first, then the better sounding mono later on), I doubt the mono/stereo ratio of pressings was 1000-to-1, though Atlantic, like many indies, tended to press more mono copies than stereo if only because mono sold better for them, given their younger audience (Atlantic's jazz titles, on the other hand, were probably pressed in a 50/50 ratio, since over the years I seem to encounter an equal number of both).

As noted, it's a collectible title, but otherwise, useless and not worth your bother unless you're a dealer or Beatles completist.

found it:banana:

2 versions - Stereo

Back cover lists songs - 175 -225 dollars Nr Mint from guide circa 2013

Back cover does not list songs 200 - 250 dollars Nr Mint from guide 2013

Nice find :banana:

It is if you have a MINT or Near Mint copy...best sent to eBay to the highest bidder, and you can use those funds to buy vinyl more, um, worthy...:banana:

It is if you have a MINT or Near Mint copy...best sent to eBay to the highest bidder, and you can use those funds to buy vinyl more, um, worthy...:banana:

Bummer-my copy is well used.cover is damaged and smutz on the LP. I saw some on e bay-it's not worth it. If a member wants it I'll pass it on for postage.

My copy was an ATCO stereo "Ain't She Sweet". It's got a black cover with the words "Ain't She Sweet" across the front multiple times. The label is three color, and I remember buying it a Belmont Records in Hartford, CT on Washington Street in 1969 or so. I had never heard of it as it was pretty late in the Beatles era and just bought it for a goof.

I don't think I ever played all of the Swallows tracks. Ever. Even listening to "Take Out Some Insurance on me Baby" was tough to handle in 1969.

Back