Best Quad Reel-to-Reel Deck?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoker

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
What is the ne plus ultra of quad reel-to-reel decks? What are the runner-ups?

I'm looking to expand my collection into quad reels, and I want to put my best foot forward when it comes to playback. I'd love to also be able to use the deck as a 4-track recorder in my home studio for those clients looking to get that authentic tape sound. Ideally, that means 10.5" reel compatibility plus a 15 IPS (and maybe even 30 IPS?) speed option, as well as 7.5 IPS for commercial quad reels, with 3.75 IPS being least important. Unless, that is, there are desirable 3.75 IPS quad reels out there that I'm unaware of? I'm new to reels, so please feel free to educate me!

Last edited:
Also, do most commercial quad reels use Dolby NR? I suppose it would be nice to have that built in to the deck. External quad units are rare as hen's teeth, and I'd rather not have to use two stereo units.

Most do not, later releases do. My collection is about 30% Dolby. The nice thing about Dolby B is that the tapes sound fine without decoding.

I don't know if any quad reel decks had Dolby included. I own an Akai 630DSS (Quad) deck as well as its sister model 630DB (stereo with Dolby). It would have been cool if they had made a 630DSSDB!

I use the Teac AN-300 for Dolby decoding. Its in a huge case with huge meters, very cool for an equipment junkie! Not cool if you are trying to save space.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/teac/an-300.shtml

Last edited:
I have a Teac A-3440 that I purchased new back in 79 or 80. I have used and abused it for home studio work to great success. It is a 4-channel 10.5 inch reel unit and has external DBX encode/decode loops for all 4 channels. It also has what Teac calls "Simul-Sync" that allows you to play back one or more channels and record other channels "in-sync" for 4 ch sound on sound multi-track recordings.
It is a semi-Pro unit that still performs well for me. Parts are readily available on eBay etc...
The only downside to the unit is that it only has two speeds 15ips and 7.5ips (no 3.75).
Check it out, it might be the unit your looking for.

Unless you have very deep pockets, it might take a lot of time and patience to build up a collection of pre-recorded quad tapes. The more desirable pop/rock titles don't often appear on eBay or Discogs, and prices are usually outrageous when they do. Unlike with Q8s, digital reissues seem to have little effect on the tapes' value - people are still asking well upwards of $100 for stuff like The Doobies or Best Of Aretha Franklin. I've only purchased five or six quad tapes since getting my deck almost three years ago, most of them being Enoch Light/Project 3 titles.

I don't believe there were any 3.75 IPS commercial quads, I've only seen 7.5 IPS.

There were, Vanguard was one label that released some 3.75 ips quad tapes, there were some others.
Are you sure? The dozen or so Vanguard QUAD Open Reels I have are ALL 7 1/2 ips and some have a dolby b 'sticker' on the front. I also have two Vanguard Quad OPEN REEL Samplers one of which is also Dolby b encoded!

However, there were some Vanguard EVERYMAN Stereo OR tapes which were duplicated @ 3 3/4ips

Picture 3 of 4

Are you sure? The dozen or so Vanguard QUAD Open Reels I have are ALL 7 1/2 ips and some have a dolby b 'sticker' on the front. I also have two Vanguard Quad OPEN REEL Samplers one of which is also Dolby b encoded!

However, there were some Vanguard EVERYMAN Stereo OR tapes which were duplicated @ 3 3/4ips

Picture 3 of 4
Yes, I am certain. I wish I could recall the titles now, a couple were samplers.

I would vote for a Akai GX-400D-SS.
It has the 10.5 reel size, 3-3/4, 7-1/5 and 15 speeds, Stereo auto-reverse playback.
Wow, that sounds perfect! From pictures, it does look like a really nice, full-featured model. Found one on offer for $2400 about a 12-hour drive from me, but I wouldn't be able to make that trip for a while.

Assuming I have to "settle" for a 3340 or 3440, is it possible to undervolt the system to halve the playback speed, allowing proper playback of 3.75 IPS tapes?

Assuming I have to "settle" for a 3340 or 3440, is it possible to undervolt the system to halve the playback speed, allowing proper playback of 3.75 IPS tapes?
That would be a very bad idea. There is way too much going on in the caspen and reel motor control that would even respond to that, plus all of the other circuits would be effected. Internal mods would be way to extensive to pull off.
If you are confident that the unit for $2400 is in good shape then that would be money well spent on obtaining it.
Another alternative that I have used for years is to have a 2nd deck, Teac A-2340R to handled the 3-3/4 and stereo auto reverse duties.

Virginia Beach. Definitely not a Studor. It’s an Akai 202D-SS. Consumer grade quad deck. No one around here works on reels. I’ll contact him. Thanks for the info.

Wow, that sounds perfect! From pictures, it does look like a really nice, full-featured model. Found one on offer for $2400 about a 12-hour drive from me, but I wouldn't be able to make that trip for a while.

Voltage does not control the capstan speed. Power line frequency controls the rotation of induction and synchronous motors. The diameter of the capstan or the drive spindle to driven spindle ratio (with belt or idler drive) sets the actual speed.

Reducing the voltage causes the motor to slip out of powerline sync until the motor speed becomes entirely unstable.

Maybe you need two units. The 2340 has 7-inch reels and speeds of 7.5 and 3.75 in/s.

I had a 3440 for many years, self-restored and it was a terrific well built machine. The highs were a little dry/lean, which I think may have been an unintended consequence of their very low distortion specs. I migrated to Pioneer RT-2044's (I own three of them) because their sound was significantly more transparent (including their input internal electronics, not just input compared to output with the loop engaged) than other units I've owned. A good alternative is the RT-1020, which will play quarter track stereo or quad, but only record in quarter track stereo. Parts machines are plentiful, but nothing about reel machines or media is affordable anymore. Which is unfortunate, because the prerecorded tapes themselves are becoming increasingly fragile. '70s Quad tapes are made of better materials, but the (off-topic, I'll stop after this short diversion) two track early in line head tapes (of which I own a number) are so out to Pluto in terms of pricing that I just can't justify acquiring them anymore. The thing that made this avocation (both quad and reel tape) great was their not being solely the domain of the very well to do, and that's quickly changing. I didn't have the time to search thrifts before I retired, and now that I have the time, gasoline to do a wide sweep of retail locations is no longer worth the "maybe you'll find something good, but more likely you won't" gamble. Just sayin'...

One manufacturer I'm not sure I've seen mentioned is Otari. I own an Otari 4 track as well as a two track. They are excellent workhorse machines and both run at 3.75, 7.5 and 15 ips. There are a lot of Otari 5050 style machines out there, and the parts are typically not to hard to find, although there are definitely some exceptions. 4 track 1/4 is a little bit of a frustrating format, as the pro companies like Ampex and studer stayed away from them. The otari is a nice step up. It has a fresh relap from JRF and a new pinch roller from Terry Witt. I've done some 4 track transfers that I've been very happy with.

Back