Recommended Quad Reel to Reel Machines?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sashaaa

Hey everyone, I've recently been building up a bit of a collection of quadraphonic reel to reel's (about 10 so far) but before I buy more I feel like I should buy a tape machine to play them on. I was curious if y'all had any recommended tape machines that I could get for under $1000. If possible it'd be nice if it could play my stereo tapes (4 track stereo) as well. I'd also like to be able to play back my dolby encoded quad tapes, so if the tape deck was able to decode those that'd be really nice. I think I know the basics I think about tape decks, I'm just not totally sure which models to look out for in my price bracket. Would appreciate any recommendations or advice!

I bought a Teac A-2340 a few months ago. Plays 2 and 4 channel at 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips. Will handle reels up to 7 inch. If you want to go up to 10 1/2 inch reels then the Teac A-3340 is an option but no commercial quads were that size AFAIK

Should be available for around 500-700 dollars. I paid just over 300 pounds UK (approx $400) and they are less common here. Mine had the common issue of the pinch roller being stuck but that's an easy fix you can do yourself.

Here's a picture of the unit and a short video of the Gentle Giant Freehand quad I made a copy of with the corrected channel assignments.

Attachments

• teac_a-2340_4-channel_tape_deck.jpg
    teac_a-2340_4-channel_tape_deck.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 0
  • VID_20220921_161352.mp4
    31.7 MB
Hey everyone, I've recently been building up a bit of a collection of quadraphonic reel to reel's (about 10 so far) but before I buy more I feel like I should buy a tape machine to play them on. I was curious if y'all had any recommended tape machines that I could get for under $1000. If possible it'd be nice if it could play my stereo tapes (4 track stereo) as well. I'd also like to be able to play back my dolby encoded quad tapes, so if the tape deck was able to decode those that'd be really nice. I think I know the basics I think about tape decks, I'm just not totally sure which models to look out for in my price bracket. Would appreciate any recommendations or advice!
I also have an old Teac A-2340 bought in the 70ā€™s. Did some local band recordings with it in the 80ā€™s. Always thought it held up nicely sausage, but also that the transport lever function was a little clunky and could get dodgy with a lot of use. Are most of the Quad tapes 7 1/2 ips, because the 3340 has the push buttons for engagement instead?

But definitely do a lot of online research on both. Donā€™t really know anything about other brands and havenā€™t played with mine for years, as the tapes have gotten so scarce and expensive (Quad), besides I donā€™t really care for tape anymore YMMV!

I've always used Akai machines. I was attracted to them for their glass tape heads (should never wear out). The GX-630-DSS is my main machine, I purchased it new in 1978 or 1979. The only drawback is that it is a huge monster. If you don't need 10/5"reel capability The GX-270-DSS is similar.

Some time ago I picked up a used GX-280D-SS, an older model but it still works fine. I had always wanted an extra machine so that I could make copies of my tapes. Now with dubbing to digital that point is rather moot.

Also have an 1800-SS gleaned cheaply from a "Hamfest" that does Q8 tapes as well. It has a problem with intermittent switches. No GX in the model number means that it does not have the glass heads.

There are many members who are open reel fans. I am one and got my first 7" machine at 7 in 1961. Hey, did they have electricity back then? Also sold hi-fi and Quad gear starting at the height of Quad in the 70's.

Sold more Teacs than everything else. Also sold and had good luck owning Sony and Akai. I've owned 2 Teac 3340's and currently have a 2ch 3300.

My first question: at which speed(s) were those 2ch 7" reels recorded? 2340's have 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 ips speeds. 3340's have 7 1/2 and 15 ips as their standard speeds. There was a modification to make a 3340 run at 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips. That would add $$ onto the cost. I like 10 1/2" NAB reels. Admittedly, there aren't any prerecorded 10 1/2" reels. Ability to play those reels as well as 7" is a nice option. It adds to the build cost, since stronger motors are needed to turn those larger reels.

Teac A2340sx has 6-button transport controls, not 3 w/toggle lever. Other versions do have 3 buttons w/lever. There were different versions of both Teac 2340 and 3340, depending on which generation of manufacture. My 2ch 3300 has 3 buttons w/lever, as were some earlier 3340's. photo taken from reel-reel.com
https://reel-reel.com/tape-recorder/teac-a-2340sx/

With the big reels you could record an evening's worth of music on just one tape. My reels rarely get used anymore but it's nice to occasionally throw on one of those old "mix tapes". In addition to hearing old favourites you hear the odd track that you totally forgot about. That makes you want to re-explore the original album again!

Playlists on the computer now make the mixtape rather redundant but the large reels are still very cool from a nostalgic perspective!

There are many members who are open reel fans. I am one and got my first 7" machine at 7 in 1961. Hey, did they have electricity back then? Also sold hi-fi and Quad gear starting at the height of Quad in the 70's.

Sold more Teacs than everything else. Also sold and had good luck owning Sony and Akai. I've owned 2 Teac 3340's and currently have a 2ch 3300.

My first question: at which speed(s) were those 2ch 7" reels recorded? 2340's have 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 ips speeds. 3340's have 7 1/2 and 15 ips as their standard speeds. There was a modification to make a 3340 run at 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips. That would add $$ onto the cost. I like 10 1/2" NAB reels. Admittedly, there aren't any prerecorded 10 1/2" reels. Ability to play those reels as well as 7" is a nice option. It adds to the build cost, since stronger motors are needed to turn those larger reels.

Teac A2340sx has 6-button transport controls, not 3 w/toggle lever. Other versions do have 3 buttons w/lever. There were different versions of both Teac 2340 and 3340, depending on which generation of manufacture. My 2ch 3300 has 3 buttons w/lever, as were some earlier 3340's. photo taken from reel-reel.com

My two channel 7in's are both in 3 1/4 and 7 1/2 ips. The 15ips large reels I have are pre recorded from analogue productions. I only have two of them (A Love Supreme and Come Away With Me) as they were quite expensive but I'd really like to be able to play those. I noticed that the tape machine you linked on reel-reel.com has a pretty low sound rating, does it really sound mediocre? I'd probably want to get something that'll at least sound pretty good since the tapes I got costed quite a bit haha.

Really appreciate the insight by the way, it's super cool that you've been into tapes for so long.

I've always used Akai machines. I was attracted to them for their glass tape heads (should never wear out). The GX-630-DSS is my main machine, I purchased it new in 1978 or 1979. The only drawback is that it is a huge monster. If you don't need 10/5"reel capability The GX-270-DSS is similar.

Some time ago I picked up a used GX-280D-SS, an older model but it still works fine. I had always wanted an extra machine so that I could make copies of my tapes. Now with dubbing to digital that point is rather moot.

Also have an 1800-SS gleaned cheaply from a "Hamfest" that does Q8 tapes as well. It has a problem with intermittent switches. No GX in the model number means that it does not have the glass heads.

The Akai's seem nice. It would be nice to be able to playback my analogue productions 10/5" tapes that I got with the same machine and I plan to get some more in the future. I have heard about glass heads so I'll have to look out for those for sure. Appreciate the response!

I also have an old Teac A-2340 bought in the 70ā€™s. Did some local band recordings with it in the 80ā€™s. Always thought it held up nicely sausage, but also that the transport lever function was a little clunky and could get dodgy with a lot of use. Are most of the Quad tapes 7 1/2 ips, because the 3340 has the push buttons for engagement instead?

But definitely do a lot of online research on both. Donā€™t really know anything about other brands and havenā€™t played with mine for years, as the tapes have gotten so scarce and expensive (Quad), besides I donā€™t really care for tape anymore YMMV!
I don't know of any quad tapes that aren't 7 1/2 ips. I would imagine that the other speeds are for capability with other pre recorded tapes or using the machine for recording stuff itself.

EVERY Q4 reel machine can play stereo S4 tapes. Just use tracks 1 and 3 and ignore tracks 2 and 4. At the end, you turn the tape over, and tracks 2 and 4 become tracks 1 and 3 to play the second side. Q4 tapes have no second side.

There is no way a stereo tape recorder has anything in it to decode matrix recordings. But you can feed the stereo output above into any matrix decoder to get a decoded version.

Last edited:
EVERY Q4 reel machine can play stereo S4 tapes. Just use tracks 1 and 3 and ignore tracks 2 and 4. At the end, you turn the tape over, and tracks 2 and 4 become tracks 1 and 3 to play the second side.

There is no way a stereo tape recorder has anything in it to decode matrix recordings. But you can feed the stereo output above into any matrix decoder to get a decoded version.
Ohh ok that's good to know. Glad that any of them can playback my stereo tapes. I was referring to decoding dolby b encoded tapes though, not matrix encoded ones.

Not a lot of reel decks included Dolby B, unlike with cassettes reels generally sounded just fine without it. I have an Akai GX-630-DB which is a stereo deck with Dolby B. Outboard Dolby B decoders are available used and usually not very expensive.
Oh ok, I think it'll make the most sense to just get one of those outboard ones.

I used to own a Teac 3340 & a very good tape deck IMO. I did have to replace a playback head which they had some issues with on early models like mine which I think they fixed with the 3340S model but
no other issues with it. I sold it years ago but now have a 2340 that I hardly ever use & would sell if someone is interested in it (PM me)? It is in very good (maybe even great) condition last time I used it a couple of years ago.

Rog

I used to own a Teac 3340 & a very good tape deck IMO. I did have to replace a playback head which they had some issues with on early models like mine which I think they fixed with the 3340S model but
no other issues with it. I sold it years ago but now have a 2340 that I hardly ever use & would sell if someone is interested in it (PM me)? It is in very good (maybe even great) condition last time I used it a couple of years ago.

Rog
Hey if you could check it out to make sure it's still in working I'd definitely be interested!

Back