Big Quad Amp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was intrigued by this as I had never heard of dbx making a 4 channel amp. Looks like there is one for sale on Audiogon for $375, which seems a pretty fair price, maybe a little better condition than the one on EBay. That one is a MkII model - not sure what this means as couldn't find any info. It is rated a little lower in the power too, although seller seems to be estimating here on EBay. If it were rack mount, I might be inclined to take a look at it myself. Oh well, someday a Conrad Johnson I will have.
Marc

oooohhhhh!

The BX-3 comes up kinda regular. I bought my Sony 3200F's just to hold me till I get a BX-3. This one looks nice! They always come up when I'm throwing $ at some other part of my system. I just won one DBX 400XG router and have bid on a second, both to replace my sick 200's. I may have to rob old peter to .................. on this one?

What is the history behind this amp? I don't remember it at all. Did this come out in the late '70s, after Q-Fi bit the big one, or was it an early '80s unit.

How about it QuadBob, what's the tale????

Actually it's an "early" surround sound amplifier designed to go with their CX-3 control amplifier (preamp) that included Dolby Surround! :(

So, production ranged from 1989-1990. And, while I can't remember exactly what the power output was.....which varied depending on how you bridged it (as it could be run as a 2,3,4 channel amp), it wasn't over 100wpc in 4 channels.

The late/great Hoodcrow ran one (which I heard) and it was a very nice, detailed amp with plenty of go juice. :D

I have the matching CX-3 control amp (still can't figure out what to do with it!!), but missed snagging the BX-3 in the thrift store........a VERY BAD thrift day!! ;) Original list was $1,299.00 and the Blue Book notes it has DC configuration with a "dual-FET input stage" and cherry wood side panels.

All in all a very good and classy SS amplifier, just wish it had two more meters!!! :D

Back