DVD/DTS Poll Black Sabbath - Paranoid [DTS/DD DVD+2CD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the Audio-DVD of Black Sabbath - PARANOID

• Total voters

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I just got this release today and my "quad" mix, is actually a 5.1 mix, with information in all 6 channels. From screenshots earlier in this thread, it looks like some discs actually were 4 channel quad mixes. Can anyone point me to which release has the proper 4 channel quad mix? (even if it sounds like garbage) Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! The audio information in the center & sub channels on this disc is actually derived from the four corner channels, probably via a center extraction plugin (or mono summation of the front channels) and low-pass filter. There are numerous surround discs out there that use transfers of the '70s quad mixes, but for some reason the mastering engineers feel the need to 'manipulate' them to 5.1 by adding synthesized center & sub content.

Unfortunately, this disc--which uses a poor-sounding needledrop of the quad vinyl rather than the discrete 4-channel master tape-is the only official release of the Paranoid quad mix. The best version out there is a fan-made transfer from the 7.5 IPS quad reel-to-reel.

AlanLastufka

QQ Supporter
Welcome to the forum! The audio information in the center & sub channels on this disc is actually derived from the four corner channels, probably via a center extraction plugin (or mono summation of the front channels) and low-pass filter. There are numerous surround discs out there that use transfers of the '70s quad mixes, but for some reason the mastering engineers feel the need to 'manipulate' them to 5.1 by adding synthesized center & sub content.

Unfortunately, this disc--which uses a poor-sounding needledrop of the quad vinyl rather than the discrete 4-channel master tape-is the only official release of the Paranoid quad mix. The best version out there is a fan-made transfer from the 7.5 IPS quad reel-to-reel.
Appreciate it! Is it preferable to simply mute the center and LFE channels (I edit all of my rips in iZotope's RX so this would be fairly easy to do)? Would that be more faithful to the original quad? Or were the other channels rebalanced to compensate for the center information?

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Appreciate it! Is it preferable to simply mute the center and LFE channels (I edit all of my rips in iZotope's RX so this would be fairly easy to do)? Would that be more faithful to the original quad? Or were the other channels rebalanced to compensate for the center information?
I would definitely mute the center, but with the LFE I suppose it's possible that some low-end was shaved off the mains and fed solely to that channel. Perhaps it's best to A/B it with-and-without the LFE content and see which sounds better on your system? The front-to-back balance seems ok, though there are other quad-to-5.1 discs where that has been an issue--the Isley Brothers' 3+3 SACD immediately comes to mind.

britmarc

Was just perusing this Poll, and noticed a Japanese version; anyone know if that's the same mix and could it be a different mastering, as the UK version on the DVD (and later re-pressed in 2015?)

More images

Black Sabbath – Paranoid
Label:
Vertigo – UICY-94182, Sanctuary – UICY-94182
Series:
Black Sabbath SHM-CD Paper Jacket Collection – 2
Format:
CD, Album, Deluxe Edition, Reissue, Remastered, SHM Mini-LP
DVD, DVD-Video, Multichannel, NTSC, Quadraphonic
CD, Remastered
Japan
Released:
Aug 26, 2009

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
More images
Black Sabbath – Paranoid
Label:
Vertigo – UICY-94182, Sanctuary – UICY-94182
Series:
Black Sabbath SHM-CD Paper Jacket Collection – 2
Format:
CD, Album, Deluxe Edition, Reissue, Remastered, SHM Mini-LP
DVD, DVD-Video, Multichannel, NTSC, Quadraphonic
CD, Remastered
Japan
Released:
Aug 26, 2009
So then is it the same Sanctuary mastered discs as Freddie has suckinctly and lovingly bestowed a description of here?

Old Quad Guy

Preservationist
Staff member
Not a bad surround mix. Surprised by the negative ratings
Hello, welcome to the forum. I bought this, but didn’t vote on it. I believe the negative votes were not so much for the music or mix, but for the actual release.

If memory serves, the label that put this out used a CD-4 record and not so great. Whereas, this title was also released as a 4 track commercial reel. It was thought why didn’t they use that instead? And what happened to the master 4 track reel?

Still, better to get it out there anyway so people can enjoy it.

gloco

Agreed...I have both and the official release is dreadful. Listened to it once in disbelief, what a waste of money.

weekendtoy

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I've never heard the Quad Reel but don't necessarily need to in order to ascertain that this release ain't that good. Not that good from both fidelity and surround perspective.

Lots of bonus points for being Black Sabbeth so a generous 7 was awarded back in the day.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Not that good from both fidelity and surround perspective.
IMO the fidelity is the major casualty. The mix itself hold up pretty well. Its the same mix as the Q4 I believe. The other thing that bugs me is a few different takes are used in a couple of the tracks.