Blur "The Ballad Of Darren" (Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix shipping 7/21)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Blur, and I would have bought this album in some format or other, so I'm not unhappy to have the high-res stereo. (Just a little unhappy to have paid a premium SDE price.) But as for the Atmos mix: between this and the Concert for George, I guess the lesson is to be dubious of anything that's not part of the SDE Surround Series.

Last edited:
musically v.nice, the mix is kinda spready-weddy wishy-washy sorta Surround-y-wound-y but not terrible.. would this have benefitted from more whizzbang Atmos treatment, i'm not sure.. 🤔 could the Atmos have been better executed? to my mind, for sure. anyway we'll never know, we got what we got, babe.. and that'll do, pig, that'll do 🤷🏻‍♀️✌️ ahh, i need a soft drink with a hard chaser (it's been that kinda day..) 😅

and no outer sleeve slipcover, correct ? My package came with out one so either -
there is not one
or
fulfillment missed mine

can someone advise ? thanks

Umm....very much like the album, some catchy songs, no faulting the songwriting. More adult lyrics and outlook obviously than when they were 25, they're 55 now. Yes, had to crank the volume. Surround almost absent on my 5.1 fold down, don't have Atmos or will have unless I I hit the PowerBall, just slightly expanded when switching between the stereo.
Bit of a disappointment, but I like Blur and the Lp.

Interview with David Wrench, who apparently did both the stereo and Atmos mixes (and is pleased with himself!), in the latest Sound On Sound:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/inside-track-blur-ballad-darren(Unfortunately only the first third of the article is available without a subscription, so I wasn't able to read any specifics about his thinking about the Atmos mix.)

Last edited:
Back