Bob Dylan Live - Bootleg Series Vol 6 - Audio Fidelity 5.0 Multichannel SACD (March 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely agree with you Ryan. NO chance I want this bad enough to spend that kind of money. NO chance at all. Easy decision for me.

That price is a killer.
Doubling the price because of the 2nd disc doesn't wash with me.
History shows us that double disc sets, be they vinyl, CD, or whatever usually don't get priced this way.
As an AF subscriber I'll be getting this set regardless, but I'm not a fan of Dylan (especially the early years) or live albums in general so this is a tough one to look forward to.

I am happy for those that are excited and I'm sure it's seen as a coup by AF but my pocket book says OUCH!! and I lament the music I can't buy with the money spent on this

Clint, with Dylan in "Good" voice and Joanie B warbling "Silver Daggers" how can you agree to disagree?

Adams right, if this sucker appeared on ebay for $500, the enthusiasm, I'm sure would be overwhelming...or, is that the GIN talking?

And with AF's penchant for excellence, I'm sure this is destined to become another mch BEST SELLER!

Don't think twice, it's alright!

Well...since you mentioned "warbling"..how could I pass on that:spot

Fair enough! :) Still, I'd like to say "don't worry EB, this one will be $6 in 10 years' time too"... but... :eek:

Dear One, what these end up selling for on the used or 3rd party market down the road is immaterial. It's all about perceived value. Especially in this day and age where surround releases are positively prolific, and, thus, surround enthusiasts' wallets are assaulted, I think AF trying to get $60 for a Bob Dylan recording is pretty risky. I can easily pass on that... I wish them the best and I'll pick up anything that is of reasonable perceived value!
I imagine many others will feel the same.

Seeing as I've picked up most of my Dylan SACDs for something like $6/per, I don't seeing shelling out anywhere near the srp for this...

Join the club, EB.....I too purchased ALL of my Dylan SACDs through Columbia House (and the Elton Johns, as well) for roughly 6 bucks each which is all the more reason to support AF's efforts (AND licensing fees) to bring this rare Dylan multichannel 2 disc SACD set (with 56 page booklet) to market.

As I previously mentioned, with discounting available (ALWAYS more generous than AP and/or MoFi Single STEREO, ONLY SACDs), the price should come down considerably.

And if NOT for Bobby, EB, then do it for Joanie B! Her FIRST time on mch SACD.:banana:

Dear One, what these end up selling for on the used or 3rd party market down the road is immaterial. It's all about perceived value. Especially in this day and age where surround releases are positively prolific, and, thus, surround enthusiasts' wallets are assaulted, I think AF trying to get $60 for a Bob Dylan recording is pretty risky. I can easily pass on that... I wish them the best and I'll pick up anything that is of reasonable perceived value!
I imagine many others will feel the same.

True.. ;) ..it's all about the perception, as The Doors would say... :eek: ..only time will tell if it was a calculated risk for AF that paid off or not.

Are there announced/rumoured surround things that never made it out I would prefer to see finally get a release over this one? Yes, TONS..
..but this is what's coming up next in that mould, as consumers we have the choice to take it or leave it.. you'll be leaving it, I'll be taking it! :upthumb

Join the club, EB.....I too purchased ALL of my Dylan SACDs through Columbia House (and the Elton Johns, as well) for roughly 6 bucks each which is all the more reason to support AF's efforts (AND licensing fees) to bring this rare Dylan multichannel 2 disc SACD set (with 56 page booklet) to market.

As I previously mentioned, with discounting available (ALWAYS more generous than AP and/or MoFi Single STEREO, ONLY SACDs), the price should come down considerably.

And if NOT for Bobby, EB, then do it for Joanie B! Her FIRST time on mch SACD.:banana:

Well Columbia House are doing vinyl again or something aren't they?

Maybe they'll pick up where they left off and do some $6 SACDs..?

If they could start with the Surround SACD of "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player", that would be great.

Yes, Clint......Dylan was a 'croaker' and Joanie WAS a warbler!

If you ask certain armchair critics, Dylan's a c*nt who can't sing but writes good lyrics.. (a sentiment shared by a surprising number of people I've found, over the years.. including my brother, my significant other who's a musician and many of my musical friends!) ..fortunately not all ears are tuned to the same frequency and I do know some people irl who also love Dylan, including a girlfriend who loves him so much she is going to have "Knocking On Heaven's Door" played full-blast as her casket shuffles along the conveyor belt through the curtains and into the furnace.. :eek:

If you can't afford it, or if you can but it seems like it's too much for something you're really not into, don't get it. No big deal. There will be others.

This is more along the lines of being a special release. I am sure that Sony is asking full ticket for the licensing, and getting SACD's pressed these days is probably not cheap, so in the case of a small label licensing a title from a major artist and pressing hybrid SACDs the only option they have is to charge the full boat. The discounters will surely have this for well under list, so those who are into it should shop around.

But again, just like the big box sets and deluxe packages, if it's out of range and a title you don't care about, move on. You might be able to get one cheaper when they find their way to the resale market.

Remember, and this is hard for many of us, really, WE DON'T HAVE TO BUY EVERY SINGLE SURROUND DISC THAT COMES OUT. We need to pull ourselves together and control the urge at times! :)

But again, just like the big box sets and deluxe packages, if it's out of range and a title you don't care about, move on. You might be able to get one cheaper when they find their way to the resale market.

Remember, and this is hard for many of us, really, WE DON'T HAVE TO BUY EVERY SINGLE SURROUND DISC THAT COMES OUT. We need to pull ourselves together and control the urge at times! :)

Well I can only speak to my addiction, when it comes to DYLAN in SURROUND.

No I wince at that price as well, but back in 2003, it was the releases of 5.1 SACD'S by Bob Dylan that convinced me that SACD has merit in surround afterall !
Hell I bought all six as my first Sacd's......and could not hear them in surround as I still had no "combi-player"yet !!

So, I'll buy it in due time----cause it's DYLAN-cause it's 5ch-and AF should be applauded for their efforts.:sun

Well said Ralph! :upthumb :upthumb

Ok, it's not exactly cheap at $59.99.. :yikes ...but I do find any quibble over the pricing etc a bit unfortunate.. if this were, lets say 'for arguments sake' (I'm not actually arguing with anyone of course, I just feel its important to also fly the flag for the flip side in these things!) the rare promo SACD of this Dylan title we were dealing with, can you imagine the clamour if a copy came up for sale on eBay.. people would be falling over themselves scrabbling around on there to buy it and ramp it up into triple figures easy, on a good day (or rather bad day!) it'd go totally sky high and more than likely end up in the hands of some rich bitch collector who would squirrel it away, keep it to themselves for all eternity and that would be IT - we'd never even have a chance of hearing the damned thing, even if we wanted to.

My bottom line is; Sony canned this release back in the day.. and now AF have liberated it from its limbo state.. and well.. that in itself is pretty groovy. I imagine people wouldn't be so free with their opining if AF were to get something like the 5.1 of Thriller or Boston or the EJ's out - I have faith AF can do it, look at the stuff they've already delivered.. outstanding job so far.. AF are well on the way with things like this Dylan and the already vault-liberated SuperSession and Child Is Father To The Man 5.1's under their belt.. will AF be so inclined to even bother pursuing other unreleased titles if all they get is whinging about the ones they do.

This rant (brought to you in association with Tanqueray :beer2) is not directed at anyone in particular.. so before anyone gets upset (well do what you like, I'm just expressing my positive vibes as others are expressing their negative ones as they are totally entitled to!) but really.. we at QQ should be happy yet another previously cancelled Sony Surround SACD release is getting released - at last - at all... I mean, if "we" can't get even remotely excited about it, what message does that send out..
Nobody has to buy this one but lets acknowledge that it augurs well for the future at least and is a continued move in the right direction, yeah?

So I'm gonna keep focussing on the good in this whole AF endeavour, for sure (I was NOT thrilled they started out with Breezin'.. that to me was a real WTF moment but I'm glad I didn't let it colour my judgement on what was to come, for what they have released subsequently has been by and large pretty gobsmackingly good!).. lately I find myself thinking back a lot to when I first signed up here.. and were they some grim Multichannel music times, man.. I was mostly having to get out of print things to get my surround fix.. now we've got new surround stuff coming out left, right, rear left, rear right and centre..! :ugham:

Never mind the LFE bollocks, here's the AF Pistols and they're gunning for YOUR business! Haha.. :D

As I said earlier...my only real reservation is that it's live..BUT...I'm not going to let that stop me from buying this one..when I got into this hobby later than most of you I had to play catch up..which meant I had to buy out of print titles....so spending $50 was a starting point for a lot of the discs I purchased...then came the $100 + discs...and some were standalone discs...not package deals...just one disc...and these last 2 years have been awesome for me..so many current titles to buy...along with my out of print titles....it's just added so much to my music collection..but along with prosperity comes apathy...taking for granted what is available now and forgetting how lucky we are to get this many options now..I'm not talking to the people who truly can't afford these titles...you should take care of your real world needs first..but others that CAN afford to buy these titles but are dragging your feet...consider this...I imagine dealing with Sony wasn't the most pleasant experience for a small company like AF..if it was me I would hold one hand over my nose(can't stand Sony)...needless to say they probably had to take any deal they could get to make this happen..but they did...and AF is really the only dependable and consistent source we have for surround music...sooner or later the progressive music Steven Wilson does will exhaust itself...so again to recap...if you can't afford it...fine and it's understandable...for those that can...SUPPORT AF and let's keep the good times rolling along!

How will a 56 page booklet fit into the case? Will it be a fatboy? Or will the booklet have to be stored inside a slipcase?

How will a 56 page booklet fit into the case? Will it be a fatboy? Or will the booklet have to be stored inside a slipcase?

It will likely not fit inside the jewel case and so therefore it will be stored inside the slipcase, just like the original CD.

I was kind of hoping for the fatboy. I think it would be the first ever SACD fatboy if so. I wish AF would drop the slipcases anyway.

This is how it all fit together in the original release:
R-3735565-1342487112-4101.jpeg.jpg

Back